Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:33:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling In The Time Of COVID-19: the new thread

Started by sevendaughters, April 06, 2020, 09:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 30, 2020, 10:43:50 PM
In the short term maybe not, but they probably need to reverse the ratings decline somehow to keep the TV contract values up in the future. How long are the current contracts for?

I think as long as they keep landing in the Top 5 demo the contracts will still be high. I believe Smackdown on Fox does a higher demo that anything else on at that time on a Friday night elsewhere.

BeardFaceMan

Didn't they get something insane like 1 billion dollars for 5 years from FOX? Which is in no way justified by their ratings or demos, it's still a mystery how WWE managed to get their TV contracts for as much as they do. They were super lucky they got the FOX contract just before AEW became a thing, they wouldn't get anywhere near that figure if they had to negotiate a contract now.

Moribunderast

Hoo boy, spoiler is out for who the Guest Moderator for next week's Jericho/Orange "Debate" and...
Spoiler alert
It's fucking Eric Bischoff. Nooooooo! I am about as big an AEW mark as possible, to the point I don't even mind them bringing in Cardona and Cameron because I assume they'll both be used/slotted exactly how they should be. But Bischoff, despite being great on the mic, is SO horrid and just not the kinda dude you want to be in business with. I worried about this when Khan did a podcast with Conrad and Bischoff and here we go. I really, really hope Eric doesn't carny his way into a regular role with the company.
[close]

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Moribunderast on July 31, 2020, 07:38:36 AM
Hoo boy, spoiler is out for who the Guest Moderator for next week's Jericho/Orange "Debate" and...
Spoiler alert
It's fucking Eric Bischoff. Nooooooo! I am about as big an AEW mark as possible, to the point I don't even mind them bringing in Cardona and Cameron because I assume they'll both be used/slotted exactly how they should be. But Bischoff, despite being great on the mic, is SO horrid and just not the kinda dude you want to be in business with. I worried about this when Khan did a podcast with Conrad and Bischoff and here we go. I really, really hope Eric doesn't carny his way into a regular role with the company.
[close]

Jesus Christ, really? Fuck, this is the kind of thing that makes me want to stop watching AEW altogether, this is not a step forward and not a good sign. I just hope to fuck it's just for that one show.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Moribunderast on July 31, 2020, 07:38:36 AM
Spoiler alert
[close]

As long he's just there to be an on-screen character and not in a backstage role, hopefully it'll be fine.

Ja'moke

In better news, AEW has confirmed they've signed Eddie Kingston. Very happy for him. He absolutely killed his debut, and the thought of Kingston vs MJF promos battles is all sorts of yes.

Gurke and Hare

Aw, Rollerball Rocco's died. Greatest British wrestler of all time.

Ja'moke

The ending to Smackdown with The Fiend attacking Alexa Bliss was pretty cool and creepy.

BeardFaceMan

God, if he could make the XFL a success where Vince couldn't, that would be so fucking funny. Ditto a network buying this and putting it on against WWE.

Gurke and Hare

To be fair - not that I want to stop any schadenfreude at Vince's expense - before COVID the XFL was doing a lot better than anyone had predicted, and it was fun to watch. All the people toldyousoing about its ultimate eventual failure were a bit cheeky really.

As someone who never made it to the NFL, could he be doing it to help players who aren't good enough for the highest level make a living?

hummingofevil

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 03, 2020, 04:49:47 PM
To be fair - not that I want to stop any schadenfreude at Vince's expense - before COVID the XFL was doing a lot better than anyone had predicted, and it was fun to watch. All the people toldyousoing about its ultimate eventual failure were a bit cheeky really.

But don't forget the other league Charlie Ebersol set up went bust within weeks and Vince's initial plan was to piss $300million minumum on the XFL. And the new XFL numbers dropped slowly but the last few weeks ratings were poor. Rock talking like there will be a leauge but part of me thinks $15million for is for a brand. Be interested to see where they go with it.

Should just stick the Rock on commentary and sell it to ESPN for $1billion. :)

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 03, 2020, 04:49:47 PM

If Vince fucked up the XFL first time around and lost a fuckload of money and was then on the verge of getting it right the second time around but lost a fuckload of money instead and had to sell it on to someone who makes it the success that it looked like it might be, but without Vince? That would be funnier.

Deanjam

Looks like AEW and NXT won't be going head to head on these dates.

Ja'moke

I can't tell if that's worse for AEW or NXT. That Saturday slot doesn't seem great.

Then again, NXT will be head to heard with NBA.

Actually, yeah, this is way worse for AEW. It's moving all over the place, that first Saturday show clashes with TakeOver, and it's during the build to All-Out.

BeardFaceMan

I thought one of the points of AEW being on a Wednesday is that it wouldn't be pre-empted by sport? Or is this a new NBA schedule because of COVID?

Ja'moke

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 03, 2020, 08:40:08 PM
I thought one of the points of AEW being on a Wednesday is that it wouldn't be pre-empted by sport? Or is this a new NBA schedule because of COVID?

New schedule, NBA is cramming a bunch of games in.

Ja'moke

Veda Scott on commentary for this women's tag tourny is a great move.

Ja'moke

There's talk that Shane is going to announce a new Brawl For All type tournament on Raw. Not a joke.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 04, 2020, 12:57:45 AM
There's talk that Shane is going to announce a new Brawl For All type tournament on Raw. Not a joke.

A worked Brawl for All with Riddle winning would be a great idea and a chance for them to do something that actually matters for once and make a star. But that would be far to easy and sensible for them to do.

A legit shoot brawl for all giving the other half of the roster who havent had covid concussions and Gable winning only to be buried by Vince is more likely the utter shitshow that is more likely.

This AEW woman's show has been pretty good so far.

Ja'moke

Yeah the first episode of the women's tag tourny was decent. Veda Scott should replace JR permanently. Nice to see Shaul Guerrero doing the ring announcing too. And Tay and Anna Jay worked well together.

Watching Raw. The Shane things seem like it might be some sort of Fight Club?

Drew cutting a great promo.

Ja'moke

I can't stop laughing at Shane's cheesy 80s style fight club. Hahah

BeardFaceMan

Did someone finally show Vince some Lucha Underground?

sevendaughters

it's a straight rip of GCW Bloodsport. i like shoot-style but this is clearly just a dumb angle.

Ja'moke

Hurt Business taking the fight club over at the end was fun because MVP is great. But the rest of it was like a worse version of WWECW.

BeardFaceMan

Did anyone watch TalkNShop-a-mania or whatever it was called? I'm never usually on board when people make things purposely shit but by most accounts the whole thing was hilarious.

hummingofevil

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 04, 2020, 03:27:15 PM
Did anyone watch TalkNShop-a-mania or whatever it was called? I'm never usually on board when people make things purposely shit but by most accounts the whole thing was hilarious.

It really was very shit. The commentary was funny enough and very funny at times but suspect my $15 for 90 min show would have been better spent elsewhere.

I am the biggest fan of Josh Barnett Bloodsports. I have watched the clips of Raw Underground (which admitedly is the most I have watched of Raw in months) and whilst the ring looks the same the vibe is completely different. The whole point of GCW Bloodsport was it was tough guys wrestling in a shoot style but it was serious and respectful. Watching Shane jump around like child with new toy is just the uncoolest thing imaginable. I know being wrestling fans we are used to not being cool but watching these McMahon's desperate to be relevant is too cringe even for me.

If they booked this as a proper tournament and as a vehicle to get Riddle* over huge (fuck it run it across the three brands and have Thatcher, Oney and others involved) then it would be a great idea.

*Don't forget the original Bloodsports was Matt Riddle's Bloodsports.