Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:20:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

SNES Mario Kart

Started by hummingofevil, April 07, 2020, 01:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 09, 2020, 09:22:23 PM
Also DKR had Taj who was very racist.

Taj is staggeringly racist. I know it's awful, but it honestly makes me laugh thinking how unbelievably racist he was.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on April 09, 2020, 06:32:55 PM
I'm not saying the earlier games have no merit, or that some of them don't do things betters than any other instalment - stuff like the feather's risk / reward mechanic. I'm saying that, as an overall package of visuals, level design, control, balance, secrets, multiplayer, etc, Mario Kart 8 is so far ahead of the pack that three blue shells couldn't stop the bastard winning. Super Mario Kart does have a particularly distinct feel, and yes, a higher skill ceiling, but I just don't think it stands up against several of the later entries overall.

I love Super Mario Kart and I think Mario Kart 8 is basically OK, I'll credit it that much. It's not Mario Kart 8's fault. They ruined it after one game. I like the fact you can play Mario Kart 8 in split-screen AND online at the same time, that's a neat feature.

Whoever mentioned Jak X, I loved that. Not really a kart game though. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled is my current jam, it's the best kart game since SMK for me. Fucking brilliant, enriching stuff.

Abnormal Palm

Fuck me, you're actually right for once.

popcorn

The thing that really bothered me about Double Dash was that they're not in go-karts any more. Baby Mario's riding around in a fucking pram ffs. It turned it into Wacky Races! It was vulgar, vulgar.

evilcommiedictator

Really disappointed by the lack of love for Wacky Wheels in here chaps

hummingofevil

Quote from: peanutbutter on April 08, 2020, 04:21:03 AM
are there people who rate the SNES one that highly that played any of the later ones first? I never got the appeal of Super Mario Kart at all, whole thing just felt weird.

64 is probably worse now, mind.

I hammered DS Mario Kart about 10 years ago to point where I was pretty rapid. One day I decided to get the SNES out to compare and I literally struggled to drive around corners. SMK is great fun in GP mode but most of the time trials are pretty shit but there is something about Ghost Valley 2 that is just so addictive. You can get it almost right everytime but to consistently nail 5 laps consecutively requires a subtle level of precision that just makes it so replayable. Maybe ask me again in 3 weeks if I feel the same.

Abnormal Palm

Just remembered the boost snaking in MK DS. That was so much fun. Broke the game but amazing fun.