Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:24:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Areas of comedy/ comedy genres you just don't find funny

Started by 23 Daves, April 27, 2005, 01:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon_Norton

Quote from: "The Mumbler"The only thing I really have an issue with in comedy is performers who disown their own material.  They're the most cynical ones in the business.

What if they genuinely change their mind about it, as they get older? EG. Lenny Henry & his early Minstrel Show stuff.

Quote from: "Jon_Norton"
Quote from: "The Mumbler"The only thing I really have an issue with in comedy is performers who disown their own material.  They're the most cynical ones in the business.

What if they genuinely change their mind about it, as they get older? EG. Lenny Henry & his early Minstrel Show stuff.

Lenny Henry didn't write his material for that though, did he?

Jon_Norton

Nowadays I totally loathe and despise any sitcom/sketch show that uses film references in a scene. Once upon a time, it was very rare and unusual for anyone to use this device, and consequently it could be charming and entertaining (though the episode of Fame based on The Wizard Of Oz was even worse than the regular episodes). But this now seems to be a weapon of first resort for youngish writers with little experience of life to draw on, who can't think of anything very funny to do with the material either.

The absolute worst example (so far) was an Armstrong&Miller sketch that referenced Alec Baldwin's "you useless fucks" speech from Glengarry Glen Ross. I didn't recognise the reference until I saw the film some time later. And then I just thought "Oh. I see. Still not funny."

If your main inspiration as a writer comes from matey jokes about whatever film you got from the local video shop the other night, then please just give it up and get a real job. And TV is fucked if anyone is accepting your material. Oh, a new Comedy Lab season.

Jon_Norton

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"Lenny Henry didn't write his material for that though, did he?

But he still went ahead with performing it.

The Mumbler

I mean those who disown the material as they're delivering it.  Detachment is another definition.  If you've changed your mind about it ten years down the line, then I don't have a problem with it, but just as long as you're honest enough to deal with it head-on.

Jon_Norton

Quote from: "The Mumbler"I mean those who disown the material as they're delivering it.  Detachment is another definition.  If you've changed your mind about it ten years down the line, then I don't have a problem with it, but just as long as you're honest enough to deal with it head-on.

But isn't that just a particular style of delivery, rather than genuine self-disdain? A sort of variant-deadpan.

There was a Chris Rock interview in The Onion a while ago, in which he criticises his early act by saying he tried too hard to deliver the jokes off-handedly, and consequently seemed almost apologetic about being a gag-teller. I think his issue there is just that the style didn't suit his actual material, rather than that it was wrong altogether.

Don't forget that sometimes comics can just get tired of delivering the same act and fail to convey any sparkle.

The Mumbler

There was a Chris Rock interview in The Onion a while ago, in which he criticises his early act by saying he tried too hard to deliver the jokes off-handedly, and consequently seemed almost apologetic about being a gag-teller. I think his issue there is just that the style didn't suit his actual material, rather than that it was wrong altogether.

Don't forget that sometimes comics can just get tired of delivering the same act and fail to convey any sparkle.

In answer to the last point, then I have no sympathy.  They should be constantly writing new stuff, like all good stand-ups do.

Most stand-ups/writers don't start out being brilliant anyway.  Unless they're really astonishing, they start out subconsciously copying the mannerisms of performers they admire, and within a couple of years (if they have any creative spark or have any dignity), they start to have ideas of their own.

Peking O

Comedy songs. For some reason I can't listen to a comedy song more than about twice until I find it painfully unfunny. I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't bear up to repeat listening/viewing in the same way as the spoken word. Odd, that. I like Spinal Tap, but find myself forwarding through the songs when I watch it. I agree with the previous poster about the Bonzo Dog band as well, in fact I find them quite excruciating to listen to.

Jemble Fred

I hate all music. I mean, the first time I heard the William Tell overture I thought it was terribly exciting, but ever since – pah! Change the tune, Grandad.

Little Hoover

Songs are ok but I agree a lot of them don't stand up to repeated viewing the end of Brass Eye special is an exception. I usually just find myself thinking 'Why have a song when carrying on with the plot and with other jokes is funnier'

rjd2

Any US TV sitcom named after it's aging famous ex movie star. I know it's an easy target but I really hate those terrible frat boy movies such as Euro trip etc. A main reason is young people today thinks these are the films that you should judge comedy by when films with a hint of originality such as Garden State are dismissed as weird or arty, what the hell is weird about a film that relies on actual jokes has a bloody original idea and doesn't just rely on Sean William Scott being a twat?

The Duck Man

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"And pretty much all stand-up, unless it's a full, carefully honed show by someone who has already proved they're talented. Open mikes, competitions and so on make me want to SHOUT.
How are people going to get on the circuit then Jemble?

Jon_Norton - like Spaced then?

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "The Duck Man"
Quote from: "Jemble Fred"And pretty much all stand-up, unless it's a full, carefully honed show by someone who has already proved they're talented. Open mikes, competitions and so on make me want to SHOUT.
How are people going to get on the circuit then Jemble?

By letting some other stupid cunt watch them, ffs. We're talking about personal preferences here.

Ron Superior

Oh, bollocks, I'll have to bite the bullet and just admit it:  I really can't get my head around why people find Curb Your Enthusiasm funny.  

I really wanted to like this show, I watched 5 episodes and just didn't laugh.  Some of the actual situations are funny, but I find the delivery just kills them.  I find the whole performance very "improv drama student", like a failed attempt at a Christopher Guest film.  

It reminds me of the shark film, Open Water.  The delivery makes it feel more real, like "yes, I'd imagine this is what you'd feel like in that situation, it does put you in the situation, but it's no fun to watch."

Am I completely alone here?

rjd2

Quote from: "Ron Superior"Oh, bollocks, I'll have to bite the bullet and just admit it:  I really can't get my head around why people find Curb Your Enthusiasm funny.  

Am I completely alone here?

It may be a cliché but you either love it or hate it. I adore the show though!
Read this thread and put your mind at rest
http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=7019&highlight=laugh

slim

Well, strictly speaking there are no "areas" of comedy I find exclusively unfunny or funny. However, there are some that certainly seem less likely to make me laugh based on past experience, which are:
    [*]Musical comedians[*]Drag[*]Sal'-a'-the-errf type humour (I like to call it Bushelling)[*]Song (such as in The Simpsons)[*]Uninspired "surreal" humour[*]Overly "dark" humour[*]Most ironic humour (especially the fucking irritating, unimaginative and ludicrous ironic sexism that most cunts in the workplace seem to engage in these days)[*]Youdon'thavetobemadtoworkherebutithelps humour[/list]That's all I can think of for now.

Jon_Norton

Quote from: "The Duck Man"Jon_Norton - like Spaced then?

The first few episodes. Went off it then. And couldn't stand the second series beyond a few minutes.

Coughlan

All areas of comedy can be funny, it's just a matter of taste not fact. butnut said fart jokes don't make hom laugh but clearly he is in a minority or they would not have been done so much.

Quote from: "Coughlan"All areas of comedy can be funny, it's just a matter of taste not fact. butnut said fart jokes don't make hom laugh but clearly he is in a minority or they would not have been done so much.

Or that comedians use them as a lazy device to inspire that much-leaned upon "embarassment factor", which is always funny, innit.

Labian Quest

I second just about everything that's been said about comedy transvestites and farting (exception see below) and the Airplane type films; after a while they just seem like a conveyor belt of jokes, with maybe 1 in 5 of them actually being funny. Also people who try to do that Vic and Bob style humour where you're really just juxtaposing some obscure words like 'Fuselage' and 'Wildebeest'  (is this what someone referred to as whimsy before?) - you could program a computer to do that.

The Grand Kiwi Farting Competition
    Under International Rules of farting

To be held at the East German Farting Stadium

Fart off: 8:40 p.m.

Referees:

1 - Former Farting Champion (all classes) of Egypt and the Lebanon National Services.
    2 - Wet Fart Champion of the UK and the Isle of Man.

Chairman: Still holds the World Record Duration Fart for 9 seconds (unbeaton after training on Pernod, Duck Eggs, Barm Cakes and Mushy Peas).

Rules:

When called, each competitor will step on the raised platform and must lower his/her trousers on the platform.

They will grip the Farting Post; any grip is permitted, one hand or both.

At a given signal from the senior referee, the competitor will commence to fart.

A SH*T IS IMMEDIATELY DISQUALIFIED!

Grading: Dry farts, long farts, wet farts, short farts, alternating long and short farts, rip-raps, bubbles and squeaks.

The referees will take into consideration the quality of all farts - strength, odour, posture of competitor, and grip used. Cushion dusters, planket rippers and thunder claps are admissible. Echo chambers will NOT be allowed.

After the final fart, a demonstration will be given by the World Champion farter. Also by a runner-up who came within 1 second of the 1976 World Championship, but was disqualified for sh*tting. The Thunder Box Farting Formation Team will give a display of formation farting.

The audience is requested not to fart during the competition as this upsets the referees.

The drinking of alcohol and the eating of peanuts are not permitted during the contest as this causes the arse to quiver, which distorts the farts, giving a false sound.

Wyn

Personally, I can't stand the "I love chocolate / Mad Cow / I'm fat" style of humour so often made use of by Dawn French. I can't bear even a second of The Vicar of Dibley, because the chances are that that second is going to be full of Dawn mugging through the bite-mark in a chocolate crucifix, and going "Ooo-er, I'm well fat, but us chicks need our choccie, right gals?" all the while looking like a giant tumor wrapped in a soiled wig-wam.

easytarget

Improvised comedy. Especially improvised songs. Especially Mike "I'll sing twice as many verses as necessary and prolong the agony" McShane.

Quote from: "Wyn"Personally, I can't stand the "I love chocolate / Mad Cow / I'm fat" style of humour so often made use of by Dawn French. I can't bear even a second of The Vicar of Dibley, because the chances are that that second is going to be full of Dawn mugging through the bite-mark in a chocolate crucifix, and going "Ooo-er, I'm well fat, but us chicks need our choccie, right gals?" all the while looking like a giant tumor wrapped in a soiled wig-wam.

Was that last bit neccessary there?  Attitudes like that are what spur people onto try and constantly prove and justify themselves.  Like it or not, a lot of women see her as a role model because people like you think it's ok to get in a cheap dig at someone's looks to make your point.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of crazyzanywackiness.  I don't like vaccuous, "I'm mental, me" silliness.  It's why I get so pissed off when Monty Python is refered to as "silly" "wacky" or, worst of all, "madcap", as it had its silly bits but there was always a purpose to it.  Same with the Bonzos.   The general consensus with comedy bands like that is that they never said anything.  I've never heard anything as vicious as My Pink Half of the Drainpipe.  

So yeah, purposeless silliness is never funny to me.  I'll never laugh at a zaaanny guy running around on a stage being zaaaannny and thinking that makes him funny.

Jimmy

I'd go along with the fart jokes thing in general. However to the poster who mentioned it first, don't let it stop you getting through the Family Guy boxset as its not something that crops up too often in the series.

An exception to my dislike of fart jokes is the part during the Uncle Fucker song in South Park:BLAU.

Clinton Morgan

I used to like fart and straining noises while you take a shit jokes as a kid, the opening to one episode of The Kenny Everett Television Show in particular. Now because I'm quite flatulent*  I don't seem to find them as funny as I used to. Just another bodily function really.

* To be frank I farted a lot when I was a kid. Other kids laughed and so I carried on breaking wind because I believed that this made me popular.

Maximash

Comedy songs, although of course Vic and Bob have managed to make me laugh a couple of times I'm sure. I'm particularly fond of "I love the smell of Cilla Black's backpack"

The typical 'women can't drive/men can't wrap presents' stuff drives me crazy, although again a few exceptions have tickled me when the comedian has actually taken the time to detail actual events so as not to be slinging around lazy stereotypes.

Carry On-style humour sickens me because it's so outdated, it's only really when it's parodied or given an added dimension a la The Fast Show that I can actually chuckle.

butnut

Quote from: "Jimmy"I'd go along with the fart jokes thing in general. However to the poster who mentioned it first, don't let it stop you getting through the Family Guy boxset as its not something that crops up too often in the series.

I've half way through series 3, so I've done pretty well. It's not just the fart jokes - it's the Dad character (I've even removed his name from my memory). I just can't stand him. I love Stewie and Brian and the ladies of the house, and sometimes the son (although he gets a bit like his Dad at times). They are all great, and have some really funny moments - especially Stewie and Brian. But I've had to stop watching it because the Dad pissed me off so much. I wish I could explain why - but I'll have to watch more to find out, and that might make me angry! if I could edit him out on the DVD, I would.

Sorry this should probably be in another thread, but there you go.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: "butnut"Fart jokes. I just don't find them funny.I can't think of a single amusing fart joke in a film or TV show.

Indeed. I remember when I was first forced to watch 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps, there was a 5 minute discussion about farting. While the people around me were laughing, I was cringing. It wasn't remotely funny, it was just embarassing.

Detective John Kimble

I don't like it when I start feeling that a comedian is just saying and doing all the right things politically.  Probably the main reason why I've really, really gone off David Cross - half/over half his act is about George Bush/The Republican Party.  It's an absolutely guaranteed cheap pop, even if it doesn't leave much room for actual jokes.  And the other half of his act is about how stupid Americans are.