Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:21:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best and Worst Use of Film Titles in that Film

Started by EOLAN, April 07, 2020, 01:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOLAN

Usually this is done in quite an understated manner. Watching Back to the Future though Christopher Lloyd delivers the line hugely - effectively breaking the fourth wall as he looks down the camera lens declaring that we must go "Back to the Future" followed by a sideways glance.

So what are your favorites or most hated such moments. How does the use of the title in the film make you feel? Does it make you go "of for F*** sake". Do you wonder if the title was lifted off the script or if the title was inserted into the script?

PS: Worse use of the film title had to be IT. Really did overdo it. (Oh I said it again, oh and again).

Bad Ambassador

Bond film For Your Eyes Only, despite the title referring to a level of secrecy, uses the title as the last line of the film during a love scene. Weird.

A View to a Kill is similarly forced, while The Living Daylights fits in rather neatly.

"James Bond. I was told you died in Hong Kong."
"Yes, this is my second life."
"You only live twice, Mr Bond."

Cerys

Do they ever actually say the word 'alien' in Alien

Brundle-Fly

Timothy Spall's emotional speech in Secrets and Lies (1996)  A mate and I joked at the time that Spall was saying," Mike Leigh's Secret and Lies!!! We're all in this film, why can't we share our pain? I'm in the middle and I can't take it anymore!!".  Apparently, working on a Mike Leigh film was notoriously difficult for the actors.

Watching it again, I now realise I was being unreasonable and saying the name of the film in this instance is entirely acceptable. And Spall rules.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KOdU5Tbbo0

Tombola

The Lord of the Rings trilogy doesn't pull its punches...

• "Very well, you shall be... THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING."
  • "Who now has the strength to stand against armies of Isengard and Mordor? To stand against the might of Sauron and Saruman and the union of THE TWO TOWERS."
  • "Authority is not given to you to deny THE RETURN OF THE KING."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8cU48PD0LI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OE9Xo36vb0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYjsTobQsck

C_Larence

So that's it, huh? We're some kind of Suicide squad?

Brundle-Fly

Silent Bob in Chasing Amy (1997) I HATED this title drop and scene at the time but watching it again today I rather enjoyed it. Shit! I really have mellowed out. Not sure I like this turn of events.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrLK8GSH5og

The overuse of 'Argo fuck yourself' in Argo made me cringe.

Gulftastic

'Groundhog Day' . They just keep repeating it.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Cerys on April 07, 2020, 02:11:48 PM
Do they ever actually say the word 'alien' in Alien?

just ctrl+f ed the script (steady)

ten times

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 07, 2020, 01:47:14 PM
Bond film For Your Eyes Only, despite the title referring to a level of secrecy, uses the title as the last line of the film during a love scene. Weird.

A View to a Kill is similarly forced, while The Living Daylights fits in rather neatly.

"James Bond. I was told you died in Hong Kong."
"Yes, this is my second life."
"You only live twice, Mr Bond."

A compilation of every* Bond title seamlessly added to the dialogue, to "scare The Living Daylights" out of you.

https://youtu.be/WDH8eKlRb-8

*ish

"Listen to me, Fredo! I am the Godfather Part II!"

The Happening. They never shut up about how something is Happening. There's even a bit where a professor type guy says "some kind of event is... occurring", the tease! But then there's about an hour of people shouting "it is happening" as bits of grass compel them to hammer nails into their faces and George Constanza flies through a windscreen.

Sebastian Cobb

That Terminator is out there! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear! And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!

buzby

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on April 07, 2020, 06:23:19 PM

ten times
In the actual dialogue of the film it appears twice - once said by Dallas when they discover the Space Jockey in  in the Derelict, and once by Ripley when she's reactivating Ash's severed head.

Egyptian Feast

The supposedly final episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force (they had another five seasons yet to go) ends with a prime example, about 1:10 into this clip.

Deyv

They have E.T. say "E.T. phone home" instead of "I'm going to phone home" so people realise they're watching a film called E.T., the flying bike film.

Cerys

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on April 07, 2020, 06:23:19 PM

ten times

Thanks!  Although the outcome is rather disappointing.  I'd have been much more impressed with them had they never said it at all, but had instead used increasingly dodgy synonyms while winking at the camera.

Quote from: buzby on April 08, 2020, 09:19:13 AM
In the actual dialogue of the film it appears twice - once said by Dallas when they discover the Space Jockey in  in the Derelict, and once by Ripley when she's reactivating Ash's severed head.

Thankyou muchly.  Disappointment abated by eighty percent.

Deyv

Quote from: Cerys on April 08, 2020, 02:25:36 PM
I'd have been much more impressed with them had they never said it at all, but had instead used increasingly dodgy synonyms while winking at the camera.

"It's...it's an E.T.! ;)"

An tSaoi

Hands down the worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWInKxbgUjU

"And you people, you're all astronauts... on some kind of star trek."

Shoulders?-Stomach!

And you people, you're all, humans, on some kind of....  Unbearable Lightness Of Being

Deyv

Quote from: An tSaoi on April 08, 2020, 06:47:19 PM
"And you people, you're all astronauts... on some kind of star trek."

They never even go to a star. Not one episode.

beanheadmcginty

When I was a kid I used to read all those "amazing trivia" type books (that always claimed to have been written by legends like Michael Caine and Denis Norden), and I remember one of them saying there was some sort of club somewhere in America where they all go and watch a film at the cinema and their whole thing is that they walk out en masse at the moment anyone on screen says the title of the film.
To this day whenever I'm watching a film and a character says the title, my brain goes "There it is. If you were in that club in America that you read about in that trivia book ostensibly written by Michael Caine or Denis Norden 40 years ago, you'd have to stand up and walk out now." And if it's near the beginning of the film I think about how much money I would have wasted on my ticket.

The other thing this also happens with is if I see a No Smoking sign. All it ever makes me think about is the dry nugget of trivia delivered to my childhood brain by Caine/Norden that simply said "The entertainer Nosmo King got his stage name from a No Smoking sign in his dressing room" with zero explanation as to who Nosmo King was.

It's notable that the title isn't said in any of the nine numbered Star Wars films.

AsparagusTrevor

Whenever this happens I hear Ron Howard in my head saying "Hey, that's the name of the show!"