Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:22:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best and Worst Use of Film Titles in that Film

Started by EOLAN, April 07, 2020, 01:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 19, 2020, 12:09:07 PMAre any of the Star Wars film titles used in the actual films (I exclude Solo, and possibly Rogue One)? Maybe they'd be better if the dialog was more like the melodramatic titles.

In the second prequel Mace Windu says "I've had it with this monkey-fighting attack of these Monday-to-Friday clones"

The last line of the Star Wars novelisation was "They were no longer little star battles; they were little star wars".

mjwilson

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 19, 2020, 12:09:07 PM
Are any of the Star Wars film titles used in the actual films (I exclude Solo, and possibly Rogue One)? Maybe they'd be better if the dialog was more like the melodramatic titles.

Yes, Luke says "I will not be the last Jedi."

"Why didn't you enjoy our argument while driving down the M1 last Friday?"

"Too fast. Too furious."

purlieu

Quote from: olliebean on April 19, 2020, 09:22:51 AM
The sheer number of times someone or other says "Doctor who?" in Doctor Who, though.
There are a lot of them in Doctor Who over the years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9eMEsdVlds

"Well, I think I've finally reached by bottom" ~ Richie in 'Contest', the pilot episode of Bottom. I think they were going to do it in every episode at one point, but then couldn't be arsed.

dissolute ocelot

Shirley Valentine does this really well, although it was a play where people care about words, SV is the lead character's maiden name and almost alter ego.

In Rear Window, one of the leads mentions "rear window ethics".

Marner and Me

The Departed. Used about 4 times in the film.

ProvanFan

magval

Watched Goodfellas a few days ago and it's subtly handled in that via VO rather than another wiseguy telling Henry he and Tommy are good fellas.[nb]They're bad fellas[/nb]

Gulftastic

It feels shoe horned in. I'm pretty certain they'd have called it Wiseguy like the book if there hadn't been the De Vito movie a few years earlier. If that had been the case the word Goodfella would not have been mentioned. I've never heard it used in any other mob stuff aside from referring to the titular movie.

Thomas

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 10, 2020, 07:48:01 PM
Nobody ever said; "Oh no, Jaws is coming" - Taylor Parkes - Chart Music Podcast 2017

Quote from: Jez, Peep Show'Of course the shark's called Jaws. Here comes Jaws. Jaws the shark. Mind he doesn't bite you with his enormous jaws.'

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 21, 2020, 09:05:42 PM
Does Jaws get revenge in Jaws: The Revenge?

No, but he roars like a lion, which I suppose is a form of revenge against anyone who says sharks can't do that. Well that one bloody could.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

In The King of Comedy, the title is mentioned on three occasions. But it doesn't sound jarring because, in the first instance, it's something the deluded and arrogant Pupkin describes himself as in his taped intro for Langford.

The other mentions of the title - spoilered in case anyone hasn't seen the film -
Spoiler alert
are at the very end during a news report, when Pupkin is described as "the kidnapping king of comedy". Again, that works fine, as it's a realistic piece of snappy alliterative news-speak. And finally, at the start of Pupkin's TV special, the announcer describes the star as "the inspirational king of comedy". You can guarantee that Pupkin wrote that intro himself.
[close]

So that's a good example of a film mentioning its own title.

The Mollusk

There's a staggeringly bad one of these in rubbish massive shark film "Deep Blue Sea".

lipsink

'The Dark Knight' at the end Gordon is giving that big long explanation to his son who didn't really ask for it:

"He's not the hero we need right now. But the one we deserve. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A DARK KNIGHT!"

Blumf

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 22, 2020, 10:07:11 AMThere's a staggeringly bad one of these in rubbish massive shark film "Deep Blue Sea".

I've just been reminded of the comedy genius that is LL Cool James' end-credits rap, which starts off "Deepest, bluest, my hat is like a shark's fin" and goes downhill from there.

I wonder how they're going to work Halloween Kills into a script.

dissolute ocelot

Finally watched London Has Fallen. They don't seem quite able to get the three words into consecutive positions in the script, although there's a bloviating newscaster who says something similar.

On the other hand, I was impressed with Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains, which not only uses the title, but with a bit of irony an announcer says it at the start of a concert
Spoiler alert
right before their fans turn on them
[close]

Sebastian Cobb

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 28, 2020, 03:57:27 PM
"The life of a repo man is always intense"

Best example yet. Every word that comes out of his mouth in that film is gold, including every use of the title.

"See, an ordinary person spends his life avoiding tense situations...a repo man spends his life getting into tense situations".

AsparagusTrevor

"It's open from dusk 'till dawn..." obviously from the movie 'It's Open From'

Master Wayne, we've just received a bizzare riddle in the post. It reads: Birds of Prey and the contrabulous fantraption of Harley Quinn.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: thecuriousorange on August 11, 2020, 09:19:56 PM
Master Wayne, we've just received a bizzare riddle in the post. It reads: Birds of Prey and the contrabulous fantraption of Harley Quinn.
Crudely overdubbed when they change the title to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey.

Hi, I'm from the social work department, I'm looking for a vulnerable teenage girl. Has anyone seen "Precious: Based On The Novel Push By Sapphire"?