Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:15:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Quiz (Charles Ingram WWTBA Millionaire fraud drama on ITV)

Started by Captain Z, April 07, 2020, 02:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Jim Bob on April 28, 2020, 08:06:26 PM
Just reading about the awful tired old hack tropes employed in the programme is enough to put me off.  I'm sure it's entertaining when viewed ironically, but I have no interest in watching such a show ironically.

It's absolutely bathed in irony, possibly to a fault, but it's not supposed to be taken seriously. Which is a cop-out, I know, and that's the biggest problem with it - here, have this cake and eat it - but it's not shit in the way you apparently think it is.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 28, 2020, 08:18:18 PM
It's absolutely bathed in irony, possibly to a fault, but it's not supposed to be taken seriously. Which is a cop-out, I know, and that's the biggest problem with it - here, have this cake and eat it - but it's not shit in the way you apparently think it is.

I'll take your word for it.  I still have no interest in watching it.  I was annoyed just from reading about some of the things that it's guilty of in terms of writing.  I think I'll survive going the rest of my life without seeing it for myself.

Hand Solo

There's a three part podcast on the making and controversy behind the show called Final Answer: Quiz involving the writer and producers btw.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Jim Bob on April 28, 2020, 08:24:33 PM
I'll take your word for it.  I still have no interest in watching it.  I was annoyed just from reading about some of the things that it's guilty of in terms of writing.  I think I'll survive going the rest of my life without seeing it for myself.

Fair enough.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on April 28, 2020, 07:19:59 PM
I don't want to flog a dead horse here but I'm putting on my dead horse flogging hat. As discussed up thread, there is no proof of the argument backstage ever happening.

In the podcast accompanying the show it says a researcher heard them through the door arguing loudly about 'signals' and this testimony was presented in court as shown in the TV drama.

The suspicious behaviour during the phone call becomes less suspicious upon hearing Ingram took the call in a small open plan office which is not a place for ranting and raving and his low-key reaction is consistent with his character.

He woiuldn't need to rant and rave to ask the simple question why? It's like a policeman turning up to question you for murder without you asking who? When? Where? It just doesn't jive.

The stageplay and drama was written with consultation and the blessings of the Ingrams' hence why it is ambiguous or very sympathetic. Apparently also the actor in the show wore Ingram's real shirt because he donated it to the cast of the stageplay, the actor in the drama also had a cat allergy which is why they changed it to them owning a dog. Also the Celador producer did in fact meet Paddy Spooner the syndicate owner for lunch only just before this went into production so they only gleaned all that information (the factsheet room to find a statistic in under 7 seconds, that they took in £1 of every £10 given away over the course of the show, that he never met the Ingrams directly) that was included at the last minute.

ProvanFan

Quote from: Jim Bob on April 28, 2020, 08:24:33 PM
I think I'll survive going the rest of my life without seeing it for myself.

Famous last words

Replies From View

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on April 28, 2020, 07:19:59 PMhis low-key reaction is consistent with his character.

his character of "unmitigated cuck".