Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:23:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Quiz (Charles Ingram WWTBA Millionaire fraud drama on ITV)

Started by Captain Z, April 07, 2020, 02:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

I missed it, but is it fair to assume that you may as well just watch the original documentary on the subject that came out at the time?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Replies From View on April 13, 2020, 11:36:07 PM
I missed it, but is it fair to assume that you may as well just watch the original documentary on the subject that came out at the time?

I don't know, as I can't remember much about that documentary. Did it include Michael Sheen doing an uncanny impersonation of Chris Tarrant? If not, the dramatisation definitely has that in its favour.

Replies From View

It had the real Chris Tarrant in it, I seem to recall.

Replies From View

Would Tiswas be improved with the subtraction of Chris Tarrant and the addition of Michael Sheen's Chris Tarrant?

Quote from: Replies From View on April 13, 2020, 11:55:58 PM
Would Tiswas be improved with the subtraction of Chris Tarrant and the addition of Michael Sheen's Chris Tarrant?

Yes, immeasurably so.

machotrouts

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 13, 2020, 10:45:56 AM
Just found them here: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/tv/quiz-charles-ingram-millionaire-tarrant-18028048

I lost on question 3, "what is butterscotch".

It's a fucking Angel Delight flavour. It's butterscotch, it's just what it is, it's not a real actual object, I don't fucking know??? Give me my cheque for £0 and shut the fuck up

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 13, 2020, 11:35:13 PM
Relating to the arguing, here's the testimony of the person I (extremely briefly) dated:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2836937.stm

I have no reason not to believe everything she says there as she was a very honest individual.

Also: I do plan to watch this as the whole thing intrigues me, but thought I'd wait for it to leak online in edited form as watching Red Dwarf the other night reignited my hatred of adverts.

That *does* sound quite sus ( The news story, not SMBH's hatred of adverts). Not sure I'd be thinking of going into work the following day if I'd just won a million quid, I'd at least be thinking of throwing a sickie.

olliebean

If this follows the same pattern as the play, I'm guessing tonight's episode will essentially be the case for the prosecution, and then tomorrow's will be the case for the defence.

Jockice

Relating to the arguing, here's the testimony of the person I (extremely briefly) dated:

I have no reason not to believe everything she says there as she was a very honest individual.

Also: I do plan to watch this as the whole thing intrigues me, but thought I'd wait for it to leak online in edited form as watching Red Dwarf the other night reignited my hatred of adverts.

Not a single mention of Tweenies or handjobs. What a fake.

Anyway, I watched it. Quite unusual for me who only knows the bare bones of the story (I didn't even know there was a documentary) and rarely watches TV dramas. I quite enjoyed it. And it also confirmed my theory that the sort of people who are into pub quizzes (I don't mean those who - like me - very occasionally take part in them. The obsessive competitive types) and go on to apply for TV quizzes are the most boring bastards on earth. Apart from her who was on The Chase a few weeks ago who used to fancy me.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Jockice on April 14, 2020, 10:42:18 AM
The only one I got wrong was the Anthony Eden one. Apart from that it was a piece of piss.

Oh, hark at Cuthbert Cringeworthy 'ere. Bet you just guessed at least one of 'em.

( why *was* Cuthbert Cringeworthy in the same class as the remedial Bash Street Kids [ inclusive of near- special needs type Smiffy], anyway? Always annoyed me, that did. Very unrealistic, it took you out of the moment)

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Jockice on April 14, 2020, 10:42:18 AM
The only one I got wrong was the Anthony Eden one. Apart from that it was a piece of piss.

I didn't know Q6 as I don't watch Coronation Street.  I was going to guess at Gail as I at least recognised the name as a Corrie character but before I could click Chrome did that 'oh snap' thing.  Since this was my 2nd attempt (first attempt went 'oh snap' on Q3) I couldn't be arsed trying a 3rd time.

Rolf Lundgren

Any person who enters into a relationship of an intimate nature with a CaBBer, albeit extremely briefly, cannot be considered of sound mind.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on April 14, 2020, 01:41:50 PM
Any person who enters into a relationship of an intimate nature with a CaBBer, albeit extremely briefly, cannot be considered of sound mind.

That's understandable and I'm sure true in 99% of cases, but in her defence it was just one date, all that took place was brief hand holding and a kiss on the cheek, and she shortly afterwards told me that my entire personality sickened her and it was not to be (or that we should remain friends, anyhow), so in this case I think she can be trusted.

Also: For advert hating bastards like me, it's now up on UKTVLand - https://www.reddit.com/r/UKTVLAND/

Replies From View

Utter Shit

Really enjoyed that last night. The first third was interesting in a slow-burn kind of way, then it came back from the adverts with all the Syndicate stuff and became silly as arseholes. Entertaining muck.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Replies From View on April 14, 2020, 02:34:26 PM
:(

Ah, I was just being over-dramatic for comedic purposes, in the end she just wanted to stay friends and we did do that for a fair while afterwards.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Was that question wot Fleabag's sister got wrong ( the " Hunting Of The Snark" one) the actual, authentic question that the real Mrs. Ingrams was asked on the actual programme? 'Cos that was fucking easy, too. That fucking " Labour Day" question,also. All the Ingrams people involved in this fiasco sound like a bunch of thick cunts, if you ask me.

Also, that feller whose act was a pissed up child's entertainer, you know who I mean, the one from The Thick Of It who played the politician who blinked a lot when he was interviewed on "Newsnight" , He'd have been a better choice to play The Colonel.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 14, 2020, 02:20:45 PM
That's understandable and I'm sure true in 99% of cases, but in her defence it was just one date, all that took place was brief hand holding and a kiss on the cheek, and she shortly afterwards told me that my entire personality sickened her and it was not to be (or that we should remain friends, anyhow), so in this case I think she can be trusted.

Also: For advert hating bastards like me, it's now up on UKTVLand - https://www.reddit.com/r/UKTVLAND/

I'm intrigued as some accounts say Ingram told her to fuck off which Plaskett says is completely out of character. Ingram also said she left the room by choice rather than her leaving because he was angry with her. Any chance you can get back in touch with her and interrogate her for a bit?

DeadJefferson

Quote from: mr. logic on April 10, 2020, 04:51:31 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2006/jul/17/couldthewhowantstobeami

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned. Jon Ronson, who attended the trial, believes in their innocence.

Ronson talks about it more in Lost At Sea. Turns out he is connected to Diana through the Cardiff Jewish community and was at school with her brothers.

Captain Z

I totally forgot about this last night. OP should have made it more clear when it was on.

It's very ITV, isn't it. A bit too hammy for my liking. Parts of it were like a MATTER OF FACT WWTBAM DRAMA thread:

INT. ITV PROGRAMMING OFFICES

Rod Liddlement: Oh, and the name is crap, think of a new one!

---CUT TO---

INT. QUIZ SHOW SET

Producer 1: If only I could think of a new name...

Lighting technician: *whistles the tune "who wants to be a millionaire"*

Producer 1: *makes face of Amanda Holden hearing Susan Boyle* (to Producer 2) ARE YOU THINKING WHAT I'M THINKING?!

Script editor notes: This is great stuff, but most of our audience are probably too stupid to know that tune, so can we have him sing the lyrics as well just to be sure?

popcorn

Quote from: Captain Z on April 14, 2020, 09:05:14 PM
I totally forgot about this last night. OP should have made it more clear when it was on.

It's very ITV, isn't it. A bit too hammy for my liking. Parts of it were like a MATTER OF FACT WWTBAM DRAMA thread:

INT. ITV PROGRAMMING OFFICES

Rod Liddlement: Oh, and the name is crap, think of a new one!

---CUT TO---

INT. QUIZ SHOW SET

Producer 1: If only I could think of a new name...

Lighting technician: *whistles the tune "who wants to be a millionaire"*

Producer 1: *makes face of Amanda Holden hearing Susan Boyle* (to Producer 2) ARE YOU THINKING WHAT I'M THINKING?!

Script editor notes: This is great stuff, but most of our audience are probably too stupid to know that tune, so can we have him sing the lyrics as well just to be sure?

yes.

it's shite.

Captain Z

EXT. BACK GARDEN

Adrian Pollock: Who are you?

Tecwyn Whittock: Hello. I'm Tecwyn Whittock. *cough cough*

paruses

Spot on, Captain. If I had been shown a 5 minute clip at random and asked which channel made it I would have said ITV straight away. The theme tune bit was awful.

It's shit but engrossing. Had I been watching it alone I would have binned it before the second part but once The Syndicate came into play I was hooked in. To be honest that's what I would like the to explore more. Is it made up? Or exaggerated out of proportion? Would also like to know more about the brother - he just goes from pub quiz enthusiast to being 60K in debt to the phone company. There is no way that building a Fastest Finger box out of plywood bankrupted him - it didn't even have a timer; he had to start and stop that independently.

Mixed feelings all round. Find Chris Tarrant a fascinatingly awful human being so hope they emphasise that. Was massively unsurprised to see his character smoking a cigar at the business lunch. Frank Skinner's radio phone-in always springs to mind: "Are there any nice people who smoke cigars? 8 12 15"

BritishHobo

I love that shit. Diana on the phone at the start, "we never cheat at quizzes!!!!!"

paruses

Ha - yes. The number of times they say that without pausing and looking at the camera a la Airplane is quite incredible.

Also - the Fastest Finger box isn't really cheating is it? It's not cheating if people train for a marathon is it? Or learn stuff for a quiz, even.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on April 13, 2020, 01:16:44 PM

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on April 14, 2020, 04:33:25 PM
What's a bad- tempered Jarvis Cocker got to do with all this?

Tee hee. I know you probably know, but just in case - it's Catherine Shepherd's real-life dad, actor Jack Shepherd, giving you the evil eye for lusting after his daughter. I am hilarious, particularly when explaining my jokes.

Seriously though, stay away from her.