Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:40:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Trump paving way to seize other planets'

Started by Kryton, April 07, 2020, 09:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-russia-space/russian-space-agency-says-trump-paving-way-to-seize-other-planets-idUSKBN21P1SY

QuoteMOSCOW (Reuters) - The Russian space agency, Roscosmos, accused Donald Trump on Tuesday of creating a basis to take over other planets by signing an executive order outlining U.S. policy on commercial mining in space.

The executive order, which Roscosmos said damaged the scope for international cooperation in space, was signed on Monday.

It said the United States would seek to negotiate "joint statements and bilateral and multilateral arrangements with foreign states regarding safe and sustainable operations for the public and private recovery and use of space resources".

It said U.S. citizens should have the right to engage in such activity and that "outer space is a legally and physically unique domain of human activity, and the United States does not view it as a global commons".

This has cheered me up in a way that our futuristic space-born brethren are going to hate. Maybe this is a piece of history? How one swollen orange President snatches up the 'rights' to non-earth domains.
"No that oxygen belongs to M'Merica. 'Member that?"

If nothing else, it's a good headline.

Johnny Yesno

bgmnts

I reckon colonies/planets/space shit will be owned by companies rather than nations.

Weyland Yutani style.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: bgmnts on April 07, 2020, 09:23:34 PM
I reckon colonies/planets/space shit will be owned by companies rather than nations.

Weyland Yutani style.

Not totally but the end effect will be similar. Whoever's space agency claims it will lease space to the highest bidder.

BlodwynPig

"Daddy, what's that misshapen and dishevelled thing in the sky?"

"It used to be Saturn until the humans arrived"

Fambo Number Mive

Star Trek, but with everyone following Trump values.

Phil_A

A New Life Awaits You In The Trumpworld Colonies

Paul Calf

Paul Calf

New Outer Worlds DLC 'panned by critics as too cynical and pessimistic'.

Paul Calf

Poobum

Currys-PC World World
sportsdirect@Ganymede. Hope that one happens, clear Shirebrook out. It does not belong on an earth.

JesusAndYourBush

Seize other planets? he couldn't seize his own arse with both hands, the orange twat.

I don't think it's anything we should be worrying about.  America doesn't even have a space program, and mining other planets is the stuff of sci-fi.  It won't happen in Trumps lifetime, nor in the lifetime of the next 10 presidents.

dissolute ocelot

But how do you colonise space if the Earth is flat? Can anyone just fly up 100 miles and prise the stars out of their elaborate candelabras?