Author Topic: Talking Sopranos Podcast  (Read 1976 times)

Talking Sopranos Podcast
« on: April 07, 2020, 11:02:51 PM »
https://talkingsopranos.simplecast.com/

A new Sopranos podcast going through the series episode by episode.  The big draw with this one is that it is hosted by Michael Imperioli who played Chris and Steve Schirripa who played Bobby.  Just one edition is up so far and it was recorded under lockdown conditions with the hosts three thousand miles apart.  Not ideal circs, but it's perfectly listenable.  A more serious problem that may persist when things get back to normal is that Schirripa's enthusiasm leads him to interrupt Imperioli constantly, and he is just not as interesting.  Obviously the two of them have loads of anecdotes about the show, but there is nothing very novel in their insights.

In fact there may be an even more serious problem: at one point Imperioli says, "Sorry but I'm sick, that's why I sound like this."  There's no follow-up question from Schirripa - another hint that he might not be ideal for this sort of project - so we're all just left hoping that they'll reach episode 2.

Re: Talking Sopranos Podcast
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 11:30:02 PM »
I saw a poster for a live version of this they were doing a few weeks ago in Dublin. Really wanted to go but the ticket prices were eye watering. Hundred odd quid and they were flogging meet and greets too. It came off looking like a big cash grab which put me off going. Maybe their careers have gone off the boil so they're doing this purely as career move.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 11:33:51 PM »
In fact there may be an even more serious problem: at one point Imperioli says, "Sorry but I'm sick, that's why I sound like this."  There's no follow-up question from Schirripa - another hint that he might not be ideal for this sort of project - so we're all just left hoping that they'll reach episode 2.

He's been messing with that H again.

I enjoyed it, but it's my favourite show of all time, and I'm always thirsty for any new trivia or insight. Agreed that Schirripa needs to mellow out a little, but I liked how he lead the interview, presumably recognising his partner is the more significant draw. Incidentally, I hope Imperioli isn't properly ill, because he seems like a really smart and thoughtful guy.

Agreed that the tour tickets were far too expensive, so this is a pleasant alternative. Weird hearing Bobby talk up the sturdiness of Bose headphones, though.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 08:33:14 AM »
I keep seeing it pop up at me on the tuber, I will eventually watch it and should,as it's the greatest tv drama in history.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 09:50:27 AM »
I'm on episode 4 now and it's better than I was expecting; looking forward to later episodes, especially if they can get guests like Terrence Winter and Chase himself like they've hinted.

It's interesting that Imperioli suggests the recurring 3pm's having a real meaning. I always thought it was an arbitrary time or a coincidence until the Paulie psychic scene, at which point it became an in-joke with no other purpose behind it. I can't tell if Imperioli is joking around during the podcast but it seems like he's not. Is it that Tony is killed from the 3 o'clock position? I don't believe that David Chase would have had that in mind as early as season 1; indeed I'm sure I've read that he had the final scene in mind and was working towards it from season 4.

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • My RUBBISH
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 10:17:29 AM »
Weirdly, Drea DeMatteo has started her own identical podcast

https://tunein.com/podcasts/Arts--Culture-Podcasts/Made-Women-p1305884/

ALMOST MAKES YOU WISH THE TWO TEAMS WOULD COMBINE THEIR EFFORTS AND MAKE A REALLY GOOD PODCAST, DOESN'T IT

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 10:25:55 AM »
Imperioli is great, it's just Schirripa trying to rush through the recaps and engaging with the material on such a superficial level that lets it down. Hopefully the more he talks to Imperioli the more he'll get into the habit of digging a bit deeper.

It's a good waste of an hour anyway, essentially a series of audio commentaries that we never got with a load of new interviews thrown in as a bonus.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 01:17:09 PM »
https://twitter.com/shuttsapalooza/status/1257745526461734912?s=21

A clip from a recent episode - Imperioli talking about the Royle Family :)

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 01:31:51 PM »
Schirripa is probably the last person I'd think of to pair with Imperioli on this, he's surely just as boring as Bobby? An absolute car crash of a show with Tony Sirico sounds better.

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • My RUBBISH
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 01:52:58 PM »
It'd surely be better and more informative to have one of the main writers involved, too

Bobby was a good character, but he didn't even turn up til the third season, did he?

So basically a much better podcast would be Imperioli, DeMatteo, and a writer!

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 05:46:19 PM »
Were the lines that David Chase contributed to the latest one a piss take? They were so cheesy and bad, and it feels like the type of joke Chase would enjoy.

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 02:03:44 PM »
It'd surely be better and more informative to have one of the main writers involved, too

Bobby was a good character, but he didn't even turn up til the third season, did he?

The second season.

Were the lines that David Chase contributed to the latest one a piss take? They were so cheesy and bad, and it feels like the type of joke Chase would enjoy.

I didn't think it was that bad, no doubt hampered by the complete non-committal of Imperioli's delivery and the poor audio.

https://twitter.com/shuttsapalooza/status/1257745526461734912?s=21

A clip from a recent episode - Imperioli talking about the Royle Family :)

That TV discussion was good until they started singing the praises of Gervais and After Life.

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 02:35:13 PM »
He's in season one a little iirc and he's  in season two a good bit, he wore a fat suit for both seasons though so I wouldn't blame you for thinking it was a different much fatter man.

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 02:49:04 PM »
Only listened to the first few minutes of the first one and they sound really depresses and seem to be taking the corona virus pandemic very very personally. Will persevere though as I do love most things Soprano. Will try and seek out the Drea one too.

Made me just check my podcast feed and I see No F*ckin Ziti have now had the time to get through the last few episodes so will give those a listen.

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 02:43:04 PM »
Just heard the first episode of Made Women, Drea de Matteo's podcast, and I think it's better. There's a lot of annoying banter at the start but once you're past it the analysis is more interesting, esp when she brings in her memories of growing up in a vaguely mob-connected home. And hearing her sign off as Adriana is funny.

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • My RUBBISH
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 11:37:51 PM »
You reckon they read this thread?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAqEH-HnCnN/

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2020, 10:41:29 AM »
After finishing my first rewatch in 2007, I am now back on the The Sopranos. I can assure those that have not seen it for some time that it really is special. These podcasts kicking off us just beautiful.

Anyone else watching again?

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 11:57:18 AM »
Yep - up to series 4. Third time round and it's still amazing. Gandolfini was a genius.

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 12:37:43 PM »
Are any of us holding out much hope for The Many Saints of Newark? Do you all remember what it a like to sit in those massive reclining seats they have at The Light Cinemas. In my one they allow you to bring cans in sat with 4 1 pint cans of stella for 1917......back in the day     *sigh*

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 03:38:59 PM »
Briefly discussed in this thread: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=65790.0

I agree with the sentiments namely: the flashback scenes in the series were shit so hope it's not like that.

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2020, 03:41:43 PM »
Cheers I'll have a read

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2020, 05:55:24 PM »
Just finished season 2 and can honestly say that those two seasons are incredible - almost perfect. I have noticed so many things that just flew by me when I first watched this.

The final episode when they kill Pussy is fucking great.

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2020, 01:39:55 AM »
It's Tony's delivery of "Hey puss, did she even really exist?" that cuts through the air.

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2020, 02:08:53 AM »
It's Tony's delivery of "Hey puss, did she even really exist?" that cuts through the air.

Yeah, it snaps Puss out of his diversionary reverie and the reality of his impending, certain death becomes a horrible reality.

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2020, 08:43:53 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MdLTWICADhM

They are both on Joe Rogan, not watched it yet.

Tags: