Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:18:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The best responses to the coronavirus

Started by Johnny Yesno, April 09, 2020, 12:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Who had the popularity of sea shanties down as an effect of a global pandemic? They didn't mention that in Contagion

Quote from: phantom_power on January 31, 2021, 02:36:10 PM
Who had the popularity of sea shanties down as an effect of a global pandemic?

SPONGE-BOB SQUARE-PANTS

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: phantom_power on January 31, 2021, 02:36:10 PM
Who had the popularity of sea shanties down as an effect of a global pandemic? They didn't mention that in Contagion

Or the repurposing of the popularity of sea shanties: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-rpAnEM-t8

idunnosomename

i think this isn't brand new but this IDSmiths repose to Ian Brown being a cunt is marvellous

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1365449767715827713

Head Gardener

Blue Jam

Fambo Number Mive

Dolly Parton seems like one of the better celebrities generally. D'Angelo Wallace made an interesting video on how decent Dolly is recently.

jobotic

chveik

imitationleather

chveik

ffs, morally I mean. having racist attractions in her park until very recently, exploiting the poor people of tennessee etc.

MrMrs

Tell me more, I regard her as an angel.

Dex Sawash

QuoteThe 9 to 5 singer is the latest star to promote coronavirus vaccinations.   

Should at least take afternoons off

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: MrMrs on March 03, 2021, 03:29:35 PM
Tell me more, I regard her as an angel.
She renamed something in her park from Dixie Stampede to Dolly Parton's Stampede in 2018, and did it with good grace and humility. Hardly the mark of a vile racist.

Kelvin

QuoteIn an interview with Billboard, the singer-songwriter also voiced her support for the Black Lives Matter movement, and addressed the wave of anti-racism and anti-police brutality protests that occurred in the wake of the killing of George Floyd.

"I understand people having to make themselves known and felt and seen," Parton said. "Of course, Black lives matter. Do we think our little white asses are the only ones that matter? No!"

Back in 2018, the artist, who is known for hits including "Jolene" and "9 to 5", renamed the Civil War-themed attraction from "Dixie Stampede" to "Dolly Parton's Stampede".

"When they said 'Dixie' was an offensive word, I thought, 'Well, I don't want to offend anybody. This is a business. We'll just call it The Stampede," she said. "As soon as you realise that [something] is a problem, you should fix it. Don't be a dumbass. That's where my heart is. I would never dream of hurting anybody on purpose."

I've never had any strong feelings about her either way, I know she's very business orientated. But she doesn't seem like an awful racist.

shiftwork2

bgmnts

I mean, if you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain.

chveik

Quote from: Kelvin on March 03, 2021, 06:56:33 PM
I've never had any strong feelings about her either way, I know she's very business orientated. But she doesn't seem like an awful racist.

never said she was. but a civil war themed attraction is dodgy as fuck. anyway, I just think she's a ruthless capitalist, so I don't quite understand all the praise.

MrMrs

Doesn't she give away so much of her money every year?

phantom_power

Dolly Parton a ruthless capitalist? Jeepers

idunnosomename

probably not best to "stan" her but she does try her best as a millionaire. she also just told Tennessee not to put up a statue of her while she's a alive which says something

also she wrote Jolene and I Will Always Love you in the same afternoon. I mean when inspiration strikes and all that

Dex Sawash

FREE DONUTS!

Quote(CNN)Krispy Kreme has come up with a way to make getting the Covid-19 vaccine extra sweet.

Starting Monday until the end of the year, if you take your vaccination card to any Krispy Kreme location in the US, you can get a free glazed doughnut each day, the company said in a news release. 

Head Gardener

Norton Canes

Nationwide tells 13,000 staff to 'work anywhere'

Nationwide is to allow 13,000 office staff to choose where they work under a new flexibility scheme. The UK's biggest building society said its "work anywhere" plan would allow employees more control of their lives

Norton Canes

Fambo Number Mive

Lee Hurst's twitter account has been suspended.