Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:52:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Monty Python Alan Partridge Wind in the Willows

Started by Dewt, April 10, 2020, 11:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Really good. I remember being blown away when I first saw this, it was right at the height of my teenage Python idolatry. Before Rona I had the DVD shipped from the UK as it's pretty difficult to find on streaming services or even torrents, even if you do remember that it's called Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (ugh) in the US. I ended up watching Terry Jones' solo commentary instead of watching the movie straight, and it was delightful. He didn't hold back for the kiddies with what he said (how does commentary rating work on movies? I'm sure he said "shit"). Did you know that the factory scenes in this were filmed on the Terminator 2 end scene rigging? Mad.

Anyway, lovely movie with great songs and cast and everything. Jones was fantastic as star and director. Do it, watch something joyful. Eric Idle being British again. Terry Jones not in a grave. Poop poop.

bgmnts

Terry Jones' reaction to the jailer making bubble and squeak (mmm) lives in my childhood memory.

I used to have it on dvd but never listened to the commentary. May have to now.

Dewt

Please do, and let me know if I imagined the shits.

magval

The commentary certification thing is discussed on one of the four Shaun of the Dead tracks and I read a wee bit more about it afterwards. The BBFC rating applies to the entire content of the disc, so if one feature on there is recorded as having a higher rating, the whole disc has to. You can say 'cunt' once, I think, on a fifteen, for example, so they say it once on the track and the second time it's bleeped while they illustrate this.

There are definitely other films whose home video release has a higher rating than the film itself for this exact reason, but I've not read about this since that DVD came out so I can't remember which. DVD extras are individually rated on the BBFC website.

drdad

This 'cunt' thing is very inconsistently applied, though. For instance, Inside No. 9 Empty Orchestra has a couple, used in a silly, non-aggressive way and scores an 18, whereas the 15-rated series 3 of Twin Peaks has several, aggressive uses (as well as tons of sex and violence).

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

The South Park Season 7 DVD originally received an 18 certificate because of Parker and Stone's commentary where 'cunt' was said several times when discussing the Jimmy stuttering 'Wendy, you're a continuing source of inspiration,' gag.

I have a PG certificate Time Bandits DVD where John Cleese says fuck in the commentary- I believe this was subsequently removed in later editions.

Dewt

Can't believe I'm going to watch the Wind in the Willows commentary for the second time in 30 days to see if Terry Jones says "shit".

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Dewt on April 10, 2020, 11:28:54 PM
Really good. I remember being blown away when I first saw this, it was right at the height of my teenage Python idolatry. Before Rona I had the DVD shipped from the UK as it's pretty difficult to find on streaming services or even torrents, even if you do remember that it's called Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (ugh) in the US.

I think it's called Mr Toad's Wild Ride in the US because of the 1950s Disneyland ride of the same name, based on Wind In The Willows, which involves a drunk-driving toad pissing about England before getting hit by a train and going to literal hell.

drdad

The Return of Spinal Tap has a PG, despite a clearly audible 'fuck' from Harry Shearer. I can only assume the BBFC had nodded off.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 12, 2020, 09:44:08 PM
I think it's called Mr Toad's Wild Ride in the US because of the 1950s Disneyland ride of the same name, based on Wind In The Willows, which involves a drunk-driving toad pissing about England before getting hit by a train and going to literal hell.
watched some youtube film of this what a load of (well-crafted) bonkers that is eh

how the fuck do american cartoons get away with their blasé cartoon heaven and hells when you have the bible-bashing jesus proddy right-wing freaks making it all so Serious?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Dewt on April 10, 2020, 11:28:54 PM
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Haha fucking hell I just realised this name is the inspiration for the amazing 4chan story of MR. BONES WILD RIDE

Part 1

Part 2

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 12, 2020, 09:44:08 PM
This is off its nut. What the fuck. Reading the comments it seems that the bit where you go in hell is actually hot.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on April 14, 2020, 11:36:26 AM
This is off its nut. What the fuck. Reading the comments it seems that the bit where you go in hell is actually hot.

Yes, and it smells weird too. And then it just ... ends, rather unceremoniously. Quite bizarre that it's one of the only ones that's been there since opening day, presumably concocted under Disney himself's supervision rather than some cokeheads in the 80s. This is what he led with.

Jerzy Bondov

I went to Euro Disney when I was about 10 and all the dark rides were the scariest shit I had ever seen in my life. Obviously Phantom Manor was going to be scary so I didn't go on that. Pirates of the Caribbean was the first thing we went on and it set the tone with its living skeletons jeering at me. Peter Pan wasn't too bad but Snow White and Pinocchio were beyond horrific. I could barely breathe going round those. There's also a cave with a dragon under the castle which is scary as fuck. Christ.

Dewt

None of it was a patch on Professor Burp's Bubbleworks in its heyday

Sebastian Cobb

Pirates of the Carribean wasn't even a thing when I went to Eurodisney. Ok apparently that's bollocks because it opened the ride in 1992.

Space Mountain was good tho.

Dex Sawash

Loved Mr Toad's Wild Ride when I was 9. I think it was no-ticket or a cheap ticket because I rode it a bunch of times. I've always been hesitant to splash out too much cash for stuff.

idunnosomename

the river caves at blackpool pleasure beach had it right where it had a dip at the end which is the way to finish a dark ride.

that said it used to intersect with the Gold Mine ride which was so cool but I guess since that was replaced by the Wallace and Gromit dark ride so I guess it doesn't now.

buttgammon

kittens

they had the river caves at blackpool pleasure beach too? i remember the announcement that plays outside of the river caves at southport pleasure beach used to fucking shit me up after going on it once and crying the entire time. "welcome..... to the river caves". bone chilling

Jerzy Bondov

There was a dark ride at Oakwood in Pembrokeshire called Crazy Pete's Mine Ride or something. It was pretty basic - you trundled past some 'funny' gold miners doing stuff and saying things I didn't really get - but towards the end there was an explosion and it went all dark and you could feel cobwebs on your face. Absolutely shat it big time. Just looked it up, it was called Nutty Jake's Gold Mine. What's this thread about now

Dewt

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 14, 2020, 11:03:40 PM
the river caves at blackpool pleasure beach had it right where it had a dip at the end which is the way to finish a dark ride.
Bubbleworks had a ramp you'd go up to a Star Wars theme rip-off and then a big dip and splash followed by beautiful fountains.

It was the last time I was truly happy.