Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:38:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you know anyone who's died of it?

Started by Jockice, April 11, 2020, 10:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

I've heard of the first person I've actually known personally who has actually succumbed it today. It's a bloke who lived in my neighborhood in Scotland when I was a kid. He had learning disabilities (a sort of Derek character if Gervais hadn't written it so badly). He didn't work and used to wander round all day talking to people. Not bullied as far as I know, just seen as an integral part of the estate.

Not sure how old he was (he seemed a lot older than me but was probably in his early 30s) but he ended up in a care home where he caught the virus and died. I haven't seen him for years -none of my family live on that estate anymore and the road he lived on got demolished - and last I heard he was living in supported accommodation. I don't think he could ever have lived independently.

I feel shit about it though. He was a genuinely nice bloke and a decent part of my childhood. RIP Jimmy

paruses

Yes. A friend in her 50s who was a teacher. Hospitalised for a few days then had horrible message from her partner she had died that morning. Was horrible seeing the daily figure of 500-odd and knowing she was just one lost in there.

She had health issues (asthma and prone to chest infections). All common knowledge and wasn't told to keep away from school when it really ramped up. They did send a letter round saying how sad it was though so every cloud and all that.

Dex Sawash

mr. logic

Yeah, my aunty. She had cancer and was waiting for chemo to begin when she caught it.

I was considering starting a similar thread yesterday evening after hearing that a legendary teacher from my secondary school (who I was surprised to learn was still working) has died of Covid-19. Not that I'd seen him for 20 years but it did sadden me, especially considering he was surely on the cusp of retirement.

Abnormal Palm

Several of my friends' parents and relatives in Wuhan, yeah. That's why I was so frustrated by people downplaying it and scoffing at the thought of lockdown and to be honest why I started posting on here again.

LORD BAD VIBE

My Aunt. She was in a care home and suffering with Parkinson's.

Icehaven

A friend's dad, think he was already ill but not that seriously, and I'm not sure how old he was but from the photos probably in his 70s.

Small Man Big Horse

Only vaguely, a husband of one of my mum's friends who I met a fair few times over the years but only had brief exchanges with. My Mum had recently started playing bridge with him on a Thursday afternoon but seemed nonplussed by his death, commenting "Well he was a diabetic too but I once saw him eat six biscuits so I'm not surprised."

That kind of biscuit consumption was bound to get him in the end.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Jockice on April 11, 2020, 10:22:14 PM
I've heard of the first person I've actually known personally who has actually succumbed it today. It's a bloke who lived in my neighborhood in Scotland when I was a kid. He had learning disabilities (a sort of Derek character if Gervais hadn't written it so badly). He didn't work and used to wander round all day talking to people. Not bullied as far as I know, just seen as an integral part of the estate.

Not sure how old he was (he seemed a lot older than me but was probably in his early 30s) but he ended up in a care home where he caught the virus and died. I haven't seen him for years -none of my family live on that estate anymore and the road he lived on got demolished - and last I heard he was living in supported accommodation. I don't think he could ever have lived independently.

I feel shit about it though. He was a genuinely nice bloke and a decent part of my childhood. RIP Jimmy

That's very sad.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: paruses on April 11, 2020, 10:43:38 PM
All common knowledge and wasn't told to keep away from school when it really ramped up.

That's very annoying. Cheers BoJo.

Jockice

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 12, 2020, 12:31:01 PM
That's very sad.

It is, isn't it? Cheers mate. All the other deaths mentioned on here are too of course.

The first care worker death in Scotland was also from my home town. I didn't know her though, but I bet I will have known someone who knew her. Probably my uncle John. He knows everybody.

Brundle-Fly

Two people. An old college lecturer (76) and an acquaintance's wife. (late 30s/40). She was as fit as a flea too. Heart smashing.

Twit 2

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 12, 2020, 11:18:57 AMseemed nonplussed by his death, commenting "Well he was a diabetic too but I once saw him eat six biscuits so I'm not surprised."

[annoying pedantry]Nonplussed means the opposite (ie baffled and surprised).[/annoying pedantry]

Jockice

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 13, 2020, 11:52:33 AM
[annoying pedantry]Nonplussed means the opposite (ie baffled and surprised).[/annoying pedantry]

Never known you do that sort of stuff before. Are you one of those new pedantics?

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on April 11, 2020, 10:22:14 PM

I've checked with my sister and she reckons he was about six years older than her, so that's 14 years or so older than me. In my memories he looked older than that but when you're a child it's hard to judge ages.

There's (or used to be) a tradition in Scotland called a 'scramble' when a couple got married and a load of coins would be thrown out of the car for the local kids to grab off the ground. There was once one when a neighbour of my nana and granda got wed - and Jimmy joined in with the youngsters collecting the cash. I remember being quite shocked about it about the time - an adult spoiling our fun. But you know, he'd still have been in his early 20s at the time and it gave him enjoyment - and a bit of money - so fuck my youthful snobbery.

Dex Sawash

Well pluss my hat

Small Man Big Horse

For once that's not actually annoying or pedantic as I never knew that, and appreciate being told if only so I don't teach it incorrectly to any of my students.

Ian Drunken Smurf

A guy I used to see in the pub watching the six nations. Didn't know him very well, but very sad and unexpected for his kids and wife.

SpiderChrist

An old dude called Rufus, one of the Mill Road community in Cambridge, and Roger, who was a singer in a blues band around the Cambridge pubs.

rue the polywhirl

nonplussed
/nɒnˈplʌst/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
so surprised and confused that one is unsure how to react.
"Henry looked completely nonplussed"

INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
not disconcerted; unperturbed.
From Oxford
Feedback
Translations and more definitions
PEOPLE ALSO ASK
What is the opposite of nonplussed?
Actually nonplussed is a contronym: it is a synonym for a word that means the opposite of itself. In other words, the opposite of nonplussed is actually nonplussed.

Retinend

I do know 2 people my age whose parents have died. On English, on French. Not much to say except I know for a fact that this thing is killing perfectly healthy individuals and not "old" by any means.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 13, 2020, 02:53:07 PM
For once that's not actually annoying or pedantic as I never knew that, and appreciate being told if only so I don't teach it incorrectly to any of my students.

Nonplussed and malingering are two words I was horrified to learn I had been misusing for years.

Pink Gregory

One of our gardeners in London has gone into palliative care for lung cancer, and because of the quarantine he can't have access to his family.

Grim.  I don't see hin escaping it.

WestHill

My mum's best friend died three weeks ago. They did an online funeral. Grim.

Now my uncle, who is in a care home in Dublin, has tested positive. Worst thing is he isn't lucid enough for anyone to be able to speak to him over the phone. Need to be face to face to provide any reassurance.

princeps

Been informed my mentally handicapped aunt, and her whole facility, might be deteriorating. Quite sad really.

vainsharpdad

I'm a fat middle-aged man, so if you all sit tight it's only a question of time, really....

Dewt