Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:35:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you know anyone who's died of it?

Started by Jockice, April 11, 2020, 10:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Two now. A former colleague of mine. Well, when I say that our paths rarely crossed as he was the paper's classical music writer and I did pop,  so we had very little in common. Still shit and all that though.

poo

Five now. Three in Italy, one in Spain, and someone local.

Twit 2

I'm stuck on zero but fingers crossed.

Ambient Sheep

H-O-W-L

Not yet, but I know for a fact if my nan contracts it she won't beat it. I myself am at risk, as are me mam and me dad. Pretty dire scenario.

Buelligan

Should we let this thread sink?  It's pretty ghastly.  Probably seemed a good idea at the time, no shade on anyone but I think, for me at least, it seems rather insensitive and it doesn't make me laugh at all.

Cerys

If people need it then it's worth keeping.

Buelligan

I agree, my question is do people need it?  Weighing up the pros and cons?  Having read the thread, it doesn't really look that way but I accept humans are complex animals. 

My concern is for people here whose lives have been genuinely damaged, people who've lost someone irreplaceable, finding the title in rather poor taste, if you like.  Sorry to be so blunt.

Cerys

I see it more as a place to share fears.  Dedicated threads are up to the people concerned, but having an all-purpose 'war memorial' kind of thread is not, I feel, a bad thing.

Yeah I dont really get how it's being perceived as in poor taste, seems more that people are trying to get some sense of how closely it is now affecting a lot of people, and then commemorating anyone who may have passed away with some thoughts and memories

Buelligan

Reluctant to post in this thread again having said what I'd said but perhaps I wasn't clear enough when I referred to poor taste, I was trying to be a little vague. 

My honest feeling is that it's a bit ghoulish and insensitive.  I'm sure that that's far from the intention or idea of posters, nevertheless, it comes across slightly as if people are scoring or keeping a tally.  Which could be very upsetting and alienating to anyone really deeply personally affected at a time when they need to feel supported.  I shouldn't have mentioned it perhaps but it made me feel really uncomfortable.  There, I've said it.

Jockice

As the originator of the thread it's fine by me either if it sinks or keeps going. Not really my decision anyway. It wasn't intended to be in bad taste and the thread title was just as I meant it. It was someone I hadn't seen for a long time and hearing about it just took me by surprise. And the title for this particular part of the forum has (dead soon) at the end it. In capital letters. But you know, i lost both parents to cancer however I've never taken offence or been upset if someone has posted (whether seriously or otherwise) on the subject. But that's just me. Others may have differences of opinion.

Captain Z

My only problem is that it should be "Do you know anyone who's died have it?"

Jockice

Quote from: Captain Z on April 23, 2020, 04:36:11 PM
My only problem is that it should be "Do you know anyone who's died have it?"

Have it large!

Abnormal Palm

I actually agree with Buelligan on this, for the record. I don't think think it was intended in anything but a spirit of solidarity but the title reads as crass in the last 48 hours. I know plenty of people on another forum who have lost parents and relatives and I don't think this would sit well. If I'm being prudish, I'll stand by it here.

Ambient Sheep

I'm fine with it.  Seems a fair question, and if someone I know dies of it, where should I post about it, if I want to?

Danger Man

The bloke who serves me at the local Tesco...his mate caught it and spent a few days in bed.

That's all I've got.

idunnosomename

i have no friends or acquaintances and live in a hole so no

Quote from: Buelligan on April 23, 2020, 08:15:32 AM
My concern is for people here whose lives have been genuinely damaged, people who've lost someone irreplaceable, finding the title in rather poor taste, if you like.
I suspect you might mean me, in part- (see my "Julia Craik" thread in General Bullshit, should people wish to). 
It's completely, life-changingly awful, of course, but personally I'm slightly resilient.

Buelligan

buzby

An ex-colleague of mine, he used to be our on-site PC support person for the company we outsourced out IT to. Unlike the stereotype of tech support people, he was friendly and always really helpful (basically to the point of giving us the admin password and letting us do what we needed to do). He was made redundant when we reduced our contract and went to work doing IT support for the NHS at Alder Hey hospital, where he seems to have caught the virus and deteriorated rapidly. It's quite sad. It was only from the report in the Echo that I found out he used to be a DJ in Liverpool's clubs and bars in the 80s too.

My sister's family have all been suspected of having it (they don't know for sure, as they couldn't get tested). My niece is a newly-qualified nurse and it seems she brought it home and infected her mum and dad. My sister was laid low for about a week but recovered and is now back at work. My brother-in-law was in a much more serious condition though and ended up on one of the trials for exprerimenrtal drug treatments. As he started to improve, his GP told him over the phone that he was 24 hours away from having to go on a ventilator.

BlodwynPig

Richard Madeley, Mark E. Smith, Nigel Farage, David Cann - quite a CaB doppleganger

RIP.

SteveDave

My 71 year old mother has it. She's currently in hospital with a cracked hip and a water infection that's sent her part mental too.   

Billy

No deaths luckily - the oldest person I know who got it is in their early forties, and was in hospital for a few days but now out and recovering. My brother and a friend had it too, both my age at early thirties.

My Grandma's eighty in a few days and she's the healthiest and most outgoing member of the family, so she'll be alright methinks.

Quote from: SteveDave on April 24, 2020, 05:56:34 PM
My 71 year old mother has it. She's currently in hospital with a cracked hip and a water infection that's sent her part mental too.

Ah shit man; heart goes out to you. Hope she gets on okay ❤

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: SteveDave on April 24, 2020, 05:56:34 PM

So sorry to hear that, I hope she gets through it OK.

Cerys

A friend of mine died a couple of days ago, but I hadn't been in contact with him for ages so I have no idea if it was covid-related.  Just found out today.  Fucksake.

Dex Sawash

94 year old Uncle Kenny (dad's uncle) has it. DEAD SOON, I reckon