Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:13:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you know anyone who's died of it?

Started by Jockice, April 11, 2020, 10:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Drunken Smurf

One of my wife's best friends in the UK lost an uncle last week - all three people in the UK I know that have died of it were BAME.

Jockice

Wasn't planning to resurrect this thread but I found out last week that someone I really disliked (and with very good reason) died of it. I will be making no further comment.

Ian Drunken Smurf

And a Russian doctor who who was my wife's neighbour in Moscow... It's not getting any better.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

My nanna, who's 91 and in a care home, had it, or at least a mild strain of it, but recovered and is fine now. She's always been in quite robust physical health though. Mentally she's away with the fucking fairies, I'm not even sure she's aware of the current epidemic, or that she's had it.

Mister Six

Bloke I used to work with was found dead in his flat after being off with the 'vid. He was 44.

flotemysost

My mum used to work in a hospital (now retired) and a couple of her former colleagues have died of it - also BAME fwiw, as were the majority of her colleagues I think. At least one had come out of retirement to help COVID-19 patients. Horribly sad.

SteveDave

My mum died of it this morning. She fell and cracked her hip early in April and then went to hospital to get it looked at and came out with a fever that caused her to not know who my sister was and think that it was 1994. She went back into hospital (where they found she'd also cracked her pelvis) and spent 2 weeks on the Covid ward. My dad called me last Wednesday and said she wouldn't have much longer to live. I was told she was "comfortable" and there was no change in my daily calls to the hospital for the last week and a bit but this morning my dad called to say she'd gone at 5am.

Thanks to some scheme in the Heath hospital I was able to speak (via a student nurse holding up a phone to her ear) at/to her (she didn't respond) on Wednesday afternoon which was at once horrifying and lovely and, I got to do it on Thursday too but this time with my son who sang her the "Hello how are you" song he sings/sang every day in nursery.

Jockice

I'm really sorry to hear that mate. Tragic news.

jobotic

Bloody hell mate, so sorry. Condolences to all of you, and bless your son!

non capisco

Ah, SteveDave, I'm so sorry to hear that. Much love to you, mate.

Dewt

chveik

idunnosomename

As sincere condolences as internet rando can give. I hope it's not flippant to say I hope 1994 was a nice time for her to think it was.

Gregory Torso

Sorry to hear that, SteveDave. Awful news.

Uncle TechTip

Ambient Sheep

I'm very sorry to hear this.  All the best to you and your Dad.

Mister Six

Horrible, horrible news. Hope you and your family are able to rest and heal as much as is possible in this fucked up environment.

Cerys

Oh, man, that's just horrible.  Huge Welsh hugs, obviously, not that they do anything against news like that.

buttgammon

Terribly sorry to hear that. Best wishes to you and your family.

BlodwynPig

My condolences SteveDave, that is heartbreaking. Let's hope there will at least be justice for her.

Egyptian Feast

That's awful SteveDave, I'm so sorry to hear that. All the best to you and your family.

Abnormal Palm

Very sorry to hear this, SteveDave. I was very touched by your son singing over the phone. Take care.

Beagle 2

I'm so sorry mate. Much love to you and family.

>>>COMPETITIVE GRIEF<<<

Yes, being told that your partner of 12 years WILL die tonight is quite a thing.  Being warp speeded in by friends in the hope that I'd see her before she did, was also quite a thing. 
Four weeks.  Adrift.

kalowski

I'm sorry for both of you, SteveDave and sick as a joke. Terrible news for you both.

Dewt

Quote from: sick as a pike on May 17, 2020, 08:57:27 PM
>>>COMPETITIVE GRIEF<<<

Yes, being told that your partner of 12 years WILL die tonight is quite a thing.  Being warp speeded in by friends in the hope that I'd see her before she did, was also quite a thing. 
Four weeks.  Adrift.
I hope with all my heart that she is a contrarian, pike.

Egyptian Feast

I'm so sorry to hear that sick as a pike. That's devastating.

Rev+

Fucking hell, so sorry SteveDave and sick as a pike.

The only person I 'know' personally who has shuffled off from it was through voluntary work, and I've had to handle an insurance claim for him this week.  Very odd and stark to see 'Covid-19' listed as the cause of death on a death certificate.