Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,455
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:41:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you know anyone who's died of it?

Started by Jockice, April 11, 2020, 10:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Drunken Smurf

Sad news SteveDave and Sick as a Pike. Saw that a school friend lost his dad this week. The 'vid can go and f**King do one.

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on May 17, 2020, 09:25:37 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that sick as a pike. That's devastating.
Thanks.  Funeral last Thursday. But, you know, we were (I am) in our early 50s and you don't expect a bit of death so soon.  I am, of course so sad.

Jockice

BlodwynPig

Quote from: sick as a pike on May 17, 2020, 08:57:27 PM
>>>COMPETITIVE GRIEF<<<

Yes, being told that your partner of 12 years WILL die tonight is quite a thing.  Being warp speeded in by friends in the hope that I'd see her before she did, was also quite a thing. 
Four weeks.  Adrift.

No words but I am devastated for you. Much strength and to all that have lost someone.

Thanks everyone.  I didn't make it clear; "tonight" was April 18th, when Julia died. 
Adrift since, as I mentioned ...what do I do?
I don't expect answers though if you have some, do let me know. x

Bazooka

I'm so sorry to hear that guys, I can't imagine. All the best.

massive bereavement

Quote from: sick as a pike on May 18, 2020, 07:56:31 AM
Thanks everyone.  I didn't make it clear; "tonight" was April 18th, when Julia died. 

I guess all you can do is allow yourself to go through the process of grieving and trust that it will become more manageable as time goes on. You won't feel as you do now, continuously, in 6 months to a year's time. It's bound to change you and your circumstances, but what would the future you of 2030 be telling yourself to do? We cannot know in the here and now what your own advice would be.... and there's only one way to find out how you came to get to grips with life in the next chapter. Hang in there matey.

Danger Man

Two words. Thai bride.

jobotic

I don't I'm afraid, but one of my oldest friends died aged 53 three years ago. He'd been with his wife since their twenties and she's one of my oldest friends. I don't know how she's coped but she has (although I don't see her as often as I'd like so I don't know how she is day to day). There does come a time when you can think of the person you've lost and smile, without a wave of grief hitting you straight afterwards. That time will come but I don't know when.

Huge condolences to you.

Small Man Big Horse

Only just seen this but I'm so sorry for your loss SteveDave, that's awful news and I hope you're coping the best you can.

Kelvin

Yes, very sorry to read the last few pages of this thread. A sobering reminder that this virus isn't just happening in the abstract.

Tony Tony Tony

My Dad passed away of the 'vid yesterday. He was in a care home which also housed his former next door neighbour, who I knew well as a kid. The neighbour died the day before my Dad which has a kind of bleak symmetry.

I picked up his effects today and I don't know who looked more terrified, the care workers or the inmates shuffling around.

The neighbour was a top bloke though nowhere near as toppermost as my old man.

Jockice

Egyptian Feast

My condolences, Tony Tony Tony. That's really sad to hear.

Abnormal Palm

I'm sorry to hear about your dad, Tony. That's very sad news.

non capisco

Cerys

Dewt

Tony Tony Tony

Heartfelt thanks to those extending condolences. I have never believed this before, but it is of some comfort.

Despite seemingly trying to demonstrate, in other parts of the board, that CaBbers are a bunch of world weary cynical feckers, it turns out you lot have hearts of purest gold.

Though that is with one notable exception. If you are now pondering who that can be without coming up with a handle.... then it's you.

buttgammon

That's awful, very sorry to hear that Tony.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 11, 2020, 09:53:52 PM
94 year old Uncle Kenny (dad's uncle) has it. DEAD SOON, I reckon

Oh my god, Uncle Kenny got better.
70th anniversary tomorrow.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 01, 2020, 01:42:44 AM
Oh my god, Uncle Kenny got better.
70th anniversary tomorrow.

Excellent news Dex, glad to hear it.

Jockice

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on May 21, 2020, 07:10:50 AM

Despite seemingly trying to demonstrate, in other parts of the board, that CaBbers are a bunch of world weary cynical feckers, it turns out you lot have hearts of purest gold.

Though that is with one notable exception. If you are now pondering who that can be without coming up with a handle.... then it's you.

It's me then. Oh dear.

Shit Good Nose

My sympathies to those that have lost, socially distanced handshakes to those who have pulled through.

This thread - short though it is - has helped me quite a lot over the last couple of months.  I'm not sure if those who think it in bad taste have been reading the same thread...?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 06, 2020, 02:59:37 PM
My sympathies to those that have lost, socially distanced handshakes to those who have pulled through.

This thread - short though it is - has helped me quite a lot over the last couple of months.  I'm not sure if those who think it in bad taste have been reading the same thread...?

Very happy to see this wasn't a post from Mrs. Nose. CaB has been holding collective breath for SGN update a couple weeks now.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 06, 2020, 04:01:02 PM
Very happy to see this wasn't a post from Mrs. Nose. CaB has been holding collective breath for SGN update a couple weeks now.

Thank you.

I've had a pretty horrible couple of months.  Various things I don't want to go into (at least not for the time being), but we're out the other end and things are okay.

BlodwynPig

Just in time for Minotaur 19.

Sadly it had to be animated but Jen makes a zoom appearance.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 06, 2020, 05:03:27 PM
Sadly it had to be animated but Jen makes a zoom appearance.

Went through a whole box of Kleenex Mansize during that scene. 

Terrible cold, it was.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on April 11, 2020, 10:22:14 PM
I've heard of the first person I've actually known personally who has actually succumbed it today. It's a bloke who lived in my neighborhood in Scotland when I was a kid. He had learning disabilities (a sort of Derek character if Gervais hadn't written it so badly). He didn't work and used to wander round all day talking to people. Not bullied as far as I know, just seen as an integral part of the estate.

Since this thread's back I'd just like to add that by 'didn't work' I mean that he didn't have a 'proper' job. But he did used to get people's messages (Scottish expression meaning doing the shopping) from the local shops and  do various other odd jobs. I'm sure locals were pretty generous in their tips too. I found out about his death because a relative sent me a bit about him from a Facebook forum, which got loads of comments and likes. I wish I was as genuinely popular as Jimmy had been.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 06, 2020, 05:06:44 PM
Went through a whole box of Kleenex Mansize during that scene. 

Terrible cold, it was.

Great to see you back.