Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:27:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH III

Started by imitationleather, April 12, 2020, 11:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiderChrist

steveh

New research has found a recently-evolved gene shared by SARS-CoV-2 and coronaviruses found in pangolins from Guangxi province in South West China. That would fit in with earlier research on the virus' mutations that suggested an earlier evolution before the virus got to Wuhan. The research doesn't prove whether or not pangolins are the reservoir though. The authors also suggest it may be possible to create antivirals that target the gene if it turns out to be important in transmission.

Massively technical paper: https://elifesciences.org/articles/59633

Alberon

532 dead today. Probably hit the 50,000 mark tomorrow even with the narrower death window they used to reduce the figures a couple of months back.

olliebean

I've once again been asked by the Zoe study to take a coronavirus test. As before, there's no testing location near enough for me to get to, so I've ordered a home test. Ordered it this morning, straight after getting the email - this afternoon I've received a confirmation, with an estimated delivery on Saturday at 8pm. So too late to post the test back on Saturday, and there's no "priority" collections on Sunday - it's evidently not that much of a priority - which means I won't do the test until Monday, 5 days after being asked to do it and 6 days after reporting the symptom which triggered the request. (I don't have any of the core symptoms, btw, that would make me eligible for a test if I hadn't been asked to get one. The symptom I reported was "Unusual strong muscle pains or aches.")

Then another day before they receive the test, and I should think at least a couple more days after that before I get the result. So that'll be 9 days since I reported my symptom.

If I'd come down with one of the core symptoms today, and ordered the test as a result of that, it'd still be over a week before I got the result, making it completely pointless. Useless in any case for the purpose of associating my reported symptom with my test result, which is the whole point of Zoe requesting I get tested.

Zetetic

Quote from: olliebean on November 11, 2020, 04:22:28 PM
The symptom I reported was "Unusual strong muscle pains or aches."
Have you been playing Hades until 0200 in the morning? That made my hands ache quite a lot.

Alberon

And with nearly 600 dead today we're back over 50,000 for the second time.

Perhaps it's time for the government to move the goalposts again.

Fambo Number Mive

33,470 cases today. No numbers on deaths yet.

Alberon

Government's probably run out of numbers or something equally inept.

Zetetic

Had COVID-19 work referenced in a Public Health England publication.

Misspelled my name.

Reminded myself that I'm the bigot.

bgmnts

UK first European country to hit 50k deaths.

Round of applause.

NoSleep

Although not the deadliest country in Europe if you look at deaths per million (Belgium and Spain above us but have smaller populations). Our death rate narrowly beats that of the US.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/coronavirus/#!

Menu

Quote from: olliebean on November 12, 2020, 06:54:23 PM
Lockdown working well, then.

Although in terms of deaths, we'll only get a sense of the effectiveness of this lockdown in a few weeks because of the lag between infection and dying.

BlodwynPig

Gubnment update: I have to write a SAGE paper for Wednesday next week as lead author. To be seen by SAGE and No. 10. It will be public so I will send a link when its on the SAGE website or not if I've "failed to deliver/let my country down".

Christ. This wasn't in my job description (I didn't have a job description).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on November 12, 2020, 05:15:34 PM

Misspelled my name.

Well done. I'd hope that they misspell my name and not skewer me.

Alberon

563 dead today. We're nearly at 51,000 total dead already. It's probably going to be another couple of weeks before we see any effect of the lockdown on deaths.

kalowski

Quote from: Zetetic on November 12, 2020, 05:15:34 PM

Misspelled my name.

Spinal Pap.

Ted-Maul

I went for a lateral Flow Test yesterday and instead of getting my result texted to me an hour later, I've received fuck all. I suspect the army guy who registered my test got my phone number wrong or something but does anyone know if I can get the result online somehow? You get a barcode and a serial number which relates to that one test, does the NHS app have test results?

Menu

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 12, 2020, 07:55:13 PM
Gubnment update: I have to write a SAGE paper for Wednesday next week as lead author. To be seen by SAGE and No. 10. It will be public so I will send a link when its on the SAGE website or not if I've "failed to deliver/let my country down".

Christ. This wasn't in my job description (I didn't have a job description).

Boris Johnson's Surprise New Chief-of-Staff: Blodwyn Pig.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Menu on November 13, 2020, 07:39:25 PM
Boris Johnson's Surprise New Chief-of-Staff: Blodwyn Pig.

The Ultimate Irony

*twitter photo of BlodwynPig, thumbs up, on 2 Jan 2021 "It's going to be a fantastic year for Britain, The Beatles and the BBC"*

Menu

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 13, 2020, 08:03:55 PM
The Ultimate Irony

*twitter photo of BlodwynPig, thumbs up, on 2 Jan 2021 "It's going to be a fantastic year for Britain, The Beatles and the BBC"*

Ha ha! It'll be like the end of season 1 of the UK Office when Dawn RECOILS IN HORROR as she sees Tim become a bit like David Brent.

Chedney Honks

Blodders mate I've just had a terrible prolonged bout of the shits if you and Whitto want to get sifting. Covid dump or not, I actually feel bad sending that lot through the supply chain. A real home wrecker.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Chedney Honks on November 14, 2020, 08:05:59 AM
Blodders mate I've just had a terrible prolonged bout of the shits if you and Whitto want to get sifting. Covid dump or not, I actually feel bad sending that lot through the supply chain. A real home wrecker.

We were discussing diarrhoea vs. solid samples from infected patients with a clinical professor last week. Conclusion: *shrugs*. Get it jiffy packed, fao: Prof. Chris Shitty

olliebean

Seems the reality is somewhat better than the delivery estimate implied. In actuality I received the test the day after ordering it (too late though to post it back the same day), did it and posted it the next morning (yesterday), and got my result (negative) this evening, which I was quite impressed with - the first time, around the start of October, it took 4 days from doing the test to getting the result.

jobotic

I had a test three weeks ago. Booked it online at 9am and git a slot at 11am. Result came back at 6.30am the nest day. I know that six weeks before that it impossible to get an appointment at the same test site, even though when I cycled past it most nights it was empty. So it's obviously to do with lab capacity as opposed to testing facilities?

Zetetic

Yeah, UK Gov/Deloitte try to restrict booking slots to try to control demand on the labs they use. (Like when they screwed over Caerphilly with a few hours notice.)

(I suspect there might also be issues with the frequency and offsets of routine keyworker screening - like all the care homes in one region all putting tests in on the same fortnightly schedule, because they moved to that schedule at the same time. As far as I know, we've never been asked to smooth this demand out, however.)

We're continuing to have the issue every few weeks where results come back with lab identifiers that aren't documented anywhere. When we finally get a response back, it usually turns out that they're buying more capacity from labs in France and Germany.

imitationleather

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: pcsjwgm on November 15, 2020, 06:32:30 AM
Elon Musk says he "most likely" has a "moderate case" of coronavirus.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54948005

QuoteOn Friday, he had questioned the veracity of rapid antigen testing, tweeting: "Something extremely bogus is going on. Was tested for covid four times today. Two tests came back negative, two came back positive. Same machine, same test, same nurse."
oh thanks for hogging valuable resources for yourself you asshole piece of fuck