Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:25:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH III

Started by imitationleather, April 12, 2020, 11:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

DrGreggles

Great to learn that, as the highest value member of MY business, I don't need to self-isolate after travelling abroad.
This virus is amazing! Not only does it take Christmas off, but it can differentiate between a business trip and a holiday!

♫ Hooray, Hooray, It's A Business Business Trip ♫

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 05, 2020, 11:03:41 AM
Great to learn that, as the highest value member of MY business, I don't need to self-isolate after travelling abroad.
This virus is amazing! Not only does it take Christmas off, but it can differentiate between a business trip and a holiday!

♫ Hooray, Hooray, It's A Business Business Trip ♫

I want you to go to Italy, get rampantly infected, put on a suit and bowler hat, walk into the business district of London on your return and spread the virus far and wide. When reports of mass deaths at Canary Wharf start flooding the media make a statement "It is what the Government allowed", twirl your briefcase and whistle into the sunset.

Cuellar

DrGreggles

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 05, 2020, 01:49:01 PM
I want you to go to Italy, get rampantly infected, put on a suit and bowler hat, walk into the business district of London on your return and spread the virus far and wide. When reports of mass deaths at Canary Wharf start flooding the media make a statement "It is what the Government allowed", twirl your briefcase and whistle into the sunset.

Sorry, I'm high-value and therefore immune.

jobotic

Yeah but you can still spread to the low value workers in Canary Wharf - the cleaners, underground staff and bar workers.

Menu

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Menu on December 05, 2020, 10:36:06 PM
Next election. So many easily avoidable mistakes.

It does feel that a sizable percentage of the British people will blame anyone but the government for the mistakes the government made. I think the Tories under Prime Minister Sunak will win the 2024 election. As long as they get their No Deal, most Tory voters are happy.

Menu

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 07, 2020, 08:44:58 AM
It does feel that a sizable percentage of the British people will blame anyone but the government for the mistakes the government made. I think the Tories under Prime Minister Sunak will win the 2024 election. As long as they get their No Deal, most Tory voters are happy.

I dunno. If the economy tanks he has his name all over it. Literally. I still think Labour will win.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 07, 2020, 08:44:58 AM

On C4 News the other week there were some randoms expressing sympathy for "Boris". He's one of us isn't he, one of the lads! Poor bloke, all he wanted was to be PM and have a bit of a laugh and we ruined it for him by getting ill.

Menu

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on December 07, 2020, 12:09:53 PM
On C4 News the other week there were some randoms expressing sympathy for "Boris". He's one of us isn't he, one of the lads! Poor bloke, all he wanted was to be PM and have a bit of a laugh and we ruined it for him by getting ill.

I wouldn't take vox pops as representative of anything. The journalists know what they want someone to say, and then they find a person who wants to say it. Can't believe Channel 4 News still does it.

George Oscar Bluth II

Oh I have a massive problem with vox pops as a voice of the nation type thing which basically comes down to asking who, exactly, is out on the streets in a mid sized British town in the middle of a journalist's working day?[nb]Retired old cunts[/nb] And are they representative of public opinion at large?[nb]No[/nb]

They're fucking useless as a measure of public opinion but I never think the opinions you do see aren't geniunely held!

Menu

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on December 07, 2020, 12:16:02 PM
Oh I have a massive problem with vox pops as a voice of the nation type thing which basically comes down to asking who, exactly, is out on the streets in a mid sized British town in the middle of a journalist's working day?[nb]Retired old cunts[/nb] And are they representative of public opinion at large?[nb]No[/nb]

They're fucking useless as a measure of public opinion but I never think the opinions you do see aren't geniunely held!

Exactly.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on December 07, 2020, 12:09:53 PM

Someone wrote to the last but one Private Eye with a similar sentiment.

Cuellar

Quote from: Menu on December 05, 2020, 10:36:06 PM
Next election. So many easily avoidable mistakes.

I predict that a good 60-70% of the people making the fuck ups now won't still be around by the time of the next election. Boris will be gone, along with half these chances. They'll put Rishi in the top job, everyone will forget that it was the same party that fucked everything up a few years ago, Tim Martin will carpet bomb his pubs with Legend Rishi promotional material - remember Eat Out To Help Out? Bloody lad - yes, covid was a disaster, but we've moved on from the shambolic Boris and gang, now we've got smart slim fit suits Tories who want to get Britain working again.

Bigger majority.

frajer

Quote from: Cuellar on December 08, 2020, 02:38:20 PM
I predict that a good 60-70% of the people making the fuck ups now won't still be around by the time of the next election. Boris will be gone, along with half these chances. They'll put Rishi in the top job, everyone will forget that it was the same party that fucked everything up a few years ago, Tim Martin will carpet bomb his pubs with Legend Rishi promotional material - remember Eat Out To Help Out? Bloody lad - yes, covid was a disaster, but we've moved on from the shambolic Boris and gang, now we've got smart slim fit suits Tories who want to get Britain working again.

Bigger majority.

Oh yeah, clearly Rishi all the way. It's depressing how even people who are defiantly anti-Tory seem to think Rishi is somehow alright because he doesn't look like the average Tory. So because he's not a crusty albino limpet that you find glued to the underside of a stone on a beach he must be "pretty cool."

jobotic

Maybe, just maybe, by then people will be sick of super rich hedge fund filth syphoning of what little public money there is while we fight for food.

Doubt it though.

Plus the Red Wall Tories seem to be your proper Brexit Party/alt-right types. Reckon it could be one of them in charge.

dissolute ocelot

Boris will be gone, along with half these chances.

People think Boris won't stick around, but they said the same about Trump at the start of his first term. Never underestimate the tenacity of a lazy man. I think his party will have to kick him out rather than him resigning (if you don't do any work then why resign). I know the Tories have shown a certain fondness for booting leaders out without being entirely sure who will follow, but generally they at least have some idea what direction they want to go (as after Thatcher or May). I think he could hang around for a long time, an increasingly Father Jack figure. Much like his hero Churchill, who was basically dead for his last few years in office.

Cuellar

Oh I don't think Boris will go willingly, and I think they will have an idea of the direction they want to go in - they're heading Rishiward. Some old stagers will probably stand for leader, Gove, maybe even Hancock, but the youth and sheer personal wealth of Rishi will make him hard to resist.

Fambo Number Mive

Should we be calling him Sunak rather than Rishi?

I think Sunak will bring a lot of the centre-right FBPE types back to the party. Brexit will have been done and Sunak is relatively untainted by Brexit compared to most other people. Which will disappoint Starmer as he is mainly focused on this people.

If Martin will be trying to use his pubs to boost Sunak it will be more important than ever to boycott Wetherspoons and get others to do the same.

BlodwynPig

Mr. Sunak

Liberals wetting themselves at the first PM of asian descent. (Although someone will chime in to say Attlee was born in India during the Raj or something).

Hate liberals. The worst kind of people.

Menu

Bigger majority.

I'm not so pessimistic. The economy is going to have a rough time for a while and Sunak will end up upsetting too many people inside Parliament and outside(any Chancellor does). Plus No10 are already unhappy that he keeps taking sole credit for the good things.

Also, and I say this with caution, I'm not sure Rishi Sunak is quite the person to hold onto the Red Wall seats. Having worked for 8 years amongst Labour people in one of them, let's just say they'd need a bit of persuading. And if it's not him then it's a long old search for another person even slightly normal in the parliamentary tory party.

BlodwynPig

Aren't the red wall voters the anti-semites in the party who left to a more welcoming home?

finnquark

Nice to see mass testing for London, Kent and Essex students. None of that up here when we had cases through the roof in October and early November. None of that for my students, some of whom have had 8 weeks out of 16 in isolation but are expected to do the same exams as usual. None of that for my colleagues, several of whom have had it and been quite unwell. I would say it beggars belief, but it doesn't, does it? Fuck off.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Bigger majority.

Not far off. The Tories have realised that changing leader semi-regularly refreshes the brand. Sunak will destroy Keith Of Limited Appeal as well.

Menu

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 10, 2020, 08:49:49 PM
Not far off. The Tories have realised that changing leader semi-regularly refreshes the brand. Sunak will destroy Keith Of Limited Appeal as well.

You guys don't half have a lot of faith in Rishi fucking Sunak.

jobotic

Quote from: finnquark on December 10, 2020, 06:10:04 PM
Nice to see mass testing for London, Kent and Essex students. None of that up here when we had cases through the roof in October and early November. None of that for my students, some of whom have had 8 weeks out of 16 in isolation but are expected to do the same exams as usual. None of that for my colleagues, several of whom have had it and been quite unwell. I would say it beggars belief, but it doesn't, does it? Fuck off.

Living in the part of Kent with the highest cases and also nearly the most deprivation, I bet students here don't get it. Local hospital was taken off the list for vaccines after it was revised.

If we're talking Royal Tunbridge Wells though...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Menu on December 10, 2020, 09:52:15 PM
You guys don't half have a lot of faith in Rishi fucking Sunak.

Faith in the dynamic between a salesman and his audience

Menu

The best salesman in the world won't be able to deal with a self-imposed no deal Brexit. In five years time he'll be a busted flush. Even if he isn't I can't see him winning the red wall seats again.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Menu on December 10, 2020, 11:46:34 PM
The best salesman in the world won't be able to deal with a self-imposed no deal Brexit. In five years time he'll be a busted flush. Even if he isn't I can't see him winning the red wall seats again.

5 fucking years?! So painful this procrastination.