Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:19:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH III

Started by imitationleather, April 12, 2020, 11:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poo

Is that the highest ever daily total in the world (proportional to total pop)? Can't be arsed finding out myself.

phes

No idea how reliable as couldn't be arsed to read the blurb about how reliable it might be, but this table sorts by the last 7 days. And Lithuania is fucked, so probably the UK won't have had the worst normalised one-day total

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

1. Lithuania
Slovenia
Slovakia
Czech
Latvia
Croatia
Hungry
UK

Shoulders?-Stomach!

One of the continuing themes is how treacherous data reading can be on this. There's so much to keep track of.

I was in Lithuania in February actually, last trip before lockdown happened, and even then several museums in Vilnius were fully closed. And that was a situation where there was likely fewer than 1 in 100,000 people in the country with the virus.

They took a pretty hard-line from the get go about who they were allowing in from elsewhere (so did Latvia and Hungary), but as we've seen, this delays the inevitable. Whoever was in the most vulnerable category has benefitted from a further 9 months of existence before become absolutely turbo fucked in the winter when most countries across Europe have got covid fatigue rather than doing the correct thing.

Surely anyone alive can see that if the March lockdown was necessary, the winter lockdown had to be tougher and longer.

Sin Agog

Huge swathes of Lithuania's younger population have fucked off.  Those who remain are largely gristled oldies who lived through the Soviets, and Polish and Russian families.  Oh, and a sizeable chunk of my dad's family.  It's not surprising they're really getting stung by this.

Alberon

On a deaths per million table we're still far ahead of the USA, and they're fucked.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 08, 2021, 11:10:16 PM
Huge swathes of Lithuania's younger population have fucked off.  Those who remain are largely gristled oldies who lived through the Soviets, and Polish and Russian families.  Oh, and a sizeable chunk of my dad's family.  It's not surprising they're really getting stung by this.

The mix in the cities seemed totally normal to me, on the young side, if anything. Probably is desolate as fuck in the small towns.

Like many Eastern European nations there are government incentives for people to have kids due to low birth rates and brain drain holding them back.

Obviously a solution would be to allow migration but haha... Try telling them that.

BlodwynPig

We've been doing some analysis of Shoulder's 'movements' across Europe over the last year...the results are damning

Chedney Honks

Can't imagine tracking the chem trails of those coruscating Keller dumps.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 09, 2021, 09:10:23 AM
We've been doing some analysis of Shoulder's 'movements' across Europe over the last year...the results are damning

COVID Shoulders puts Typhoid Mary to shame.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Chedney Honks on January 09, 2021, 09:40:30 AM
Can't imagine tracking the chem trails of those coruscating Keller dumps.

"Jack Shit" takes on a whole new meaning

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 09, 2021, 11:05:24 AM
"Jack Shit" takes on a whole new meaning

Isn't that their nickname for you in the Cabinet Office?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on January 09, 2021, 12:28:14 PM
Isn't that their nickname for you in the Cabinet Office?

I don't know, they are barely aware of my presence

olliebean

Has any other country got a higher estimated prevalence than 1 in 50?

Dr Rock

One in 30 in London. Anywhere more scary biscuits than that?

Dr Rock

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 09, 2021, 12:28:41 PM
I don't know, they are barely aware of my presence

Good work. Time for phase 2?

Alberon

Slightly better figures today, though it is a Saturday and the death figures are still in four numbers.

59,937 new cases, 32,294 in hospital and 1035 dead.

One bit of good news, the Queen and Prince Philip have had the vaccine, so that's one less problem to worry about.

Cuellar

BlodwynPig

Dr Rock

Phase Two completed!

I forgot the phases sorry.

kalowski

Quote from: Dr Rock on January 09, 2021, 02:33:22 PM
One in 30 in London. Anywhere more scary biscuits than that?
1 in 16 in Barking and Dagenham.

Sin Agog

Is there any way of getting out of jury duty if you're in a house with shielding people?

Zetetic

Ask to be excused, giving that as the reason. (Maybe indicate you're happy to have it delayed, if you are.)

holdover

I work in a large print room. There is lots of space but folk crisscross over each other's paths all day. There are about 9 folk in the area on a normal shift and only 2 of us wear masks. I've brought this up to management and informed them that I don't feel safe. I've basically been ignored and told that it's fine and just make sure that I remain 2 metres distanced.

I've just pulled up the official Scottish Gov advice on mask wearing in the workplace and it has a bit in bold - " A face covering must be worn whenever you move away from a seated position."

I'm very happy to have found this as it's what I have been saying should be happening. I'm sending the link to management soon as I get in on Monday.

Wondering if I'd be within my rights to not go in if they refuse to enforce that advice.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Zetetic on January 09, 2021, 08:49:55 PM
Ask to be excused, giving that as the reason. (Maybe indicate you're happy to have it delayed, if you are.)

Thanks, done.  I also mentioned that time I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die. Hopefully combined that will be enough.

gib

Quote from: holdover on January 09, 2021, 09:03:42 PMWondering if I'd be within my rights to not go in if they refuse to enforce that advice.

Is there a union?

poo

Y'know when Boris was in ITU the "right" thing to say was that you disagreed with him but hoped he would be OK? Well, on reflection, I wish he had died.

holdover

Quote from: gib on January 09, 2021, 09:29:53 PM
Is there a union?

Sadly no. I'm going to track down my H&S person and ask them too. The annoying thing is, there isn't much work to be done currently. I'm currently working 7 hours a day but with only 90 minutes of work to do.

It's quite maddening to see folk come in to the area and the start of their shift and remove their mask right away.

One chap is happy enough as he reckons "my wife has cancer. So if I catch COVID here and something happened to her I would sue the arse off of this place"

Crazy.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

1045 dead today versus 445 this time last week. Next week is going to be hitting 2000+ a day at that rate of increase.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 09, 2021, 11:04:18 PM
1045 dead today versus 445 this time last week. Next week is going to be hitting 2000+ a day at that rate of increase.

Could be if the numbers I am seeing are representative. Beeston Hill looks particularly apocalyptic. Getting PHL in there today.

Alberon

I was hoping the rate of climb wasn't actually that big and the deaths a week back were only partly reported due to the holidays.