Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:11:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH III

Started by imitationleather, April 12, 2020, 11:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lordofthefiles

olliebean

Quote from: bgmnts on January 15, 2021, 12:33:36 AM
Genuinely a bit worrying that.

Yes, it somewhat undermines all the "Young people aren't at risk" rhetoric.

frajer

That's terrifying to read, but this sort of thing really needs to yelled at the country 24/7 as it might just inspire the hardcore dipshits to finally mask up.

"It might affect me and not some random old biddy? Fine, I'll wear one. But I'll be pouting behind it."

Fambo Number Mive

55,761 reported cases and 1,280 reported deaths within28 days of a positive test.

Alberon

That's still over 12,000 cases less than last week and 45 fewer deaths as well. Hospitilisations are up about 5,400 to 37,282 compared to a week ago.

Oh, and according to the Worldmeters website the planet just passed two million Covid deaths.

olliebean

The 7-day average of deaths has been over 1,000 for 3 days now. Never reached 1,000 during the first wave.

jobotic

If you look at date of deaths though it hasn't actually gone over 1000 on a single day in the second wave (although 11 Jan is on 998 so it will).

Open the pubs!

Alberon

41,346 cases today, 18,591 down on last week. Cases in hospitals are up 4,980 on last week at 37,475 and deaths are at 1,295, up 260 on last saturday.

jobotic

Pleased to see that the case rate here is down to 700s rather than the 1200s we were at, and so far still going in the right direction.

Sadly though, if I'm reading it right, today's is the highest amount of hospital admissions nationally.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think even with the fall in new cases, the headline number is still massive and going to be generating more hospitalisations than the health system can cope with given the time of year. UK is definitely on for 33,000 deaths in January, and that's only going off the conservative marker.

Fambo Number Mive

I agree.

Reported cases today 38,598 and reported deaths within 28 days of a positive test 671. It is a Sunday though, and cases and deaths are still very high. Did they ever get that high in 2020 since  the UK's pathetic attempt at mass testing was brought in? I imagine they did in March and April but there wasn't mass testing then.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

671 is still much higher than last Sunday's toll.

poo

bgmnts

Yeah, the buildup to the Six Nations is always unbearable.

Lordofthefiles

There's an excellent report on the BBC by Clive Myrie tonight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-55708709

It gives a perspective that has been missing from just about all news channels since the start of the pandemic - medical staff and the bereaved.

It fair brought a tear to my eye at the end, ..."that's a sad story, innit?".

jobotic

Newsnight should show that just before they next have Toby Young on.

"So Toby....what have you got to tell us?"

Bence Fekete

Myrie's reports usually feel 10x more human than his rent-a-gob compadres.

Something on Novara last night about the Spanish Flu surviviors having a higher prevelance of Parkinsons? I could look it up but I'm more inclined to just wildly provoke FEAR on the internet over a half-remembered quote.

Fambo Number Mive

33,355 reported cases, 1610 reported deaths within 28 days of a positive test.

Alberon

According to The Guardian compared to last week cases are down 12,178, but people in hospitals are up 2,641 (at 37,946) and deaths are up 367.

The Culture Bunker

Presumably this is the fallout from people meeting up with family/friends at Christmas?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 19, 2021, 06:32:24 PM
Presumably this is the fallout from people meeting up with family/friends at Christmas?

I don't recall seeing any kind of mass brawl

sirhenry

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 19, 2021, 06:32:24 PM
Yes indeed; all those nuclear families.

Fambo Number Mive

38,905 reported cases, 1,826 reported deaths within 28 days of a positive test.

Johnson must be glad that the media is focusing on Biden and not the record deaths.

460,625 people have both doses of the vaccine as of 19th January.

Alberon

That's 5000 more cases than yesterday but 8500 fewer than same day last week. People in hospital is now at 39,068 up 2,390 on last Wednesday. Deaths up 256 on last week.

jobotic

Still going down round here. Hurrah for LOLBoz

bomb_dog

Quote from: Alberon on January 20, 2021, 04:43:42 PMThat's 5000 more cases than yesterday but 8500 fewer than same day last week. People in hospital is now at 39,068 up 2,390 on last Wednesday. Deaths up 256 on last week.

Whenever I read a stats post like this I can't help but internally monologue it as Alan 'the voice of the balls' Dedicoat.

And immediately after thinking, "Good Luck Everybody!" (presses button, starts Lancealot)