Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:57:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH III

Started by imitationleather, April 12, 2020, 11:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 18, 2021, 08:30:42 AM
That's not that rapid.

Piss all change for most for the next 2 months.. Great.

Get on allotment.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteMatt Hancock acted unlawfully when his department did not reveal details of contracts it had signed during the Covid pandemic, a court has ruled.

A judge said the health secretary had "breached his legal obligation" by not publishing details within 30 days of contracts being signed.

The public had a right to know where the "vast" amounts spent had gone and how contracts were awarded, he added.

The government said it fully recognised the "importance of transparency".

But Labour claimed the government's awarding of contracts was "plagued by a lack of transparency, cronyism and waste".

The Department for Health and Social Care (DHSC) has struck deals worth hundreds of millions of pounds during the coronavirus pandemic...

In his ruling, Mr Justice Chamberlain said: "There is now no dispute that, in a substantial number of cases, the secretary of state breached his legal obligation to publish contract award notices within 30 days of the award of contracts.

"There is also no dispute that the secretary of state failed to publish redacted contracts in accordance with the transparency policy."

The judge said the health secretary had spent "vast quantities" of public money on Covid-related goods and services during 2020.

"The public were entitled see who this money was going to, what it was being spent on and how the relevant contracts were awarded," he added.

He said this was important so that competitors of those awarded contracts could understand whether the obligations had been breached...

Not sure whether this will change anything.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56125462

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Curve of recorded infections is now starting to shallow out which is concerning, it suggests some level of spread which isn't being prevented by current lockdown restrictions and will prolong this process.

Apparently Chris Whitty is against government plans to open all schools on March 8th. Can see why. Amazing the Tories still want to play with fire. I'm sure the same helpful idiots will be along with the "we can't just keep schools closed forever" arguments and already debunked and redundant 'negotiate with a virus' strategy.

Presumably they just think they're untouchable because of the bulletproof poll ratings and their grip of the media, but if it goes wrong in March + April (let's say we get a cold Spring instead of the warm dry one last year) and we end up in a lockdown in May/June/July, surely the public will finally turn on the cunts.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 19, 2021, 06:16:01 PM
Not sure whether this will change anything.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56125462

oops, guess I've also been part of a wrongdozy.

Just realised I'm taking part in a top-secret project. Will shut up now.

imitationleather

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 19, 2021, 06:56:41 PM
surely the public will finally turn on the cunts.

It's never gonna happen so forget about it!

olliebean

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 19, 2021, 06:56:41 PMPresumably they just think they're untouchable because of the bulletproof poll ratings and their grip of the media, but if it goes wrong in March + April (let's say we get a cold Spring instead of the warm dry one last year) and we end up in a lockdown in May/June/July, surely the public will finally turn on the cunts.

I'll say this much, it's looking extremely bad for Corbyn.

Harry Badger

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 19, 2021, 06:56:41 PM
Curve of recorded infections is now starting to shallow out which is concerning, it suggests some level of spread which isn't being prevented by current lockdown restrictions and will prolong this process.

Apparently Chris Whitty is against government plans to open all schools on March 8th. Can see why. Amazing the Tories still want to play with fire. I'm sure the same helpful idiots will be along with the "we can't just keep schools closed forever" arguments and already debunked and redundant 'negotiate with a virus' strategy.

Presumably they just think they're untouchable because of the bulletproof poll ratings and their grip of the media, but if it goes wrong in March + April (let's say we get a cold Spring instead of the warm dry one last year) and we end up in a lockdown in May/June/July, surely the public will finally turn on the cunts.

Perhaps the mythical herd immunity really has come to pass. The drop off in cases has been quite striking. I realise this article is American but the drop off there seems to be similar with fewer restrictions https://www.wsj.com/articles/well-have-herd-immunity-by-april-11613669731

Expect to hear Tory outriders saying "see - herd immunity was the way! Shame about all the deaths and that but we WERE right so suck on that, commie"

sirhenry

A different (and properly scientific) study from the end of December into "Vaccination and Non-Pharmaceutical Interventions: When can the UK relax about COVID-19?" : https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.27.20248896v2.full.pdf

From what I can understand of it, it's looking likely we'll have another wave this summer (after ending lockdown) and another next winter (seasonal). Whether this paper (or any at all) will have (or has had) any influence on government decisions seems unlikely.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: sirhenry on February 20, 2021, 01:44:52 PM
A different (and properly scientific) study from the end of December into "Vaccination and Non-Pharmaceutical Interventions: When can the UK relax about COVID-19?" : https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.27.20248896v2.full.pdf

From what I can understand of it, it's looking likely we'll have another wave this summer (after ending lockdown) and another next winter (seasonal). Whether this paper (or any at all) will have (or has had) any influence on government decisions seems unlikely.

Yes, that's what I've been hearing inside our department (DHSC), waves will continue no matter the vaccination and restrictions. Or at least we are prepping for that (on the surveillance side at least).

George Oscar Bluth II

How much would the apparent, from the Israel data, 75% drop in transmission under the Pfizer jab change that.

And also if we hit, say, 90%+ coverage of the most vulnerable and 75/80% of all adults would we just be able to let the waves happen. At least until it becomes obvious there's a vaccine resistant variant about.

bgmnts

Drakeford to start opening it all back up soon.

Covid has reassured me that I am not normal and that all the stuff that means absolutely nothing to me is so important to most people it blows my tiny mind. Ssd that nothing ever changed at all. Its like watching a drug addict continuing to fuck up their life or something. Just grim to see.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on February 20, 2021, 04:51:29 PM
Drakeford to start opening it all back up soon.

Covid has reassured me that I am not normal and that all the stuff that means absolutely nothing to me is so important to most people it blows my tiny mind. Ssd that nothing ever changed at all. Its like watching a drug addict continuing to fuck up their life or something. Just grim to see.

Decades race to the bottom. Late stage capitalism. Whatever you want to call it. I'll be there my friend, waiting in the woodland, making toadstool soup with a sprinkling of wild garlic. We will revel in their demise.

bgmnts

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 20, 2021, 04:56:01 PM
Decades race to the bottom. Late stage capitalism. Whatever you want to call it. I'll be there my friend, waiting in the woodland, making toadstool soup with a sprinkling of wild garlic. We will revel in their demise.

The area where I foraged last year is being ripped up anyway, so nowhere to go now. Just tarmac and cans.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on February 20, 2021, 05:40:06 PM
The area where I foraged last year is being ripped up anyway, so nowhere to go now. Just tarmac and cans.

why? that was virgin forest? fuck this shit. Kill those developers. Kill them all.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

BlodwynPig

olliebean

Matt Hancock on Marr this morning stating, apparently unequivocally, that we "never had a national shortage of PPE." I'm sure there's a whole load of wriggle room and "not technically a lie"-ism hidden within that word "national," but essentially that's bullshit, isn't it? There definitely were shortages. Surely Hancock saying now "There were never shortages" isn't going to make people think, "Well I definitely remember there being PPE shortages but he says there weren't so I guess all the nurses and doctors were just lying at the time that they couldn't get enough?"

frajer

Quote from: olliebean on February 21, 2021, 11:38:16 AM
Surely Hancock saying now "There were never shortages" isn't going to make people think, "Well I definitely remember there being PPE shortages but he says there weren't so I guess all the nurses and doctors were just lying at the time that they couldn't get enough?"

Christ I'd love to believe people will remember and hold him to account. But the Tories will throw up a million smokescreen stats, and it'll just become a case of his word against anyone else's, and most people will fall in line and go along with it. Orwellian cunts rewriting history as it happens.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

All it would take is one journalist who fancies a career change to have the balls to say on air 'You're a liar. Barefaced crony fucking dry eyed crier. Bloodsucking pallid donkeyfucker freak who should be set on fire.'

sirhenry

Same with the lack of transparency. Apparently his excuse is that they were busy concentrating on getting the PPE so had no time to publish details of the contracts:
Quote"People can make up their own view about whether I should have told my team to stop buying PPE and spend the time bringing forward those transparency returns by just over a fortnight or whether I was right to buy the PPE and get it to the frontline.
"You tell me that that's wrong. You can't and the reason you can't is because it was the right thing to do and legal cases about timings of transparency returns are completely second order compared to saving lives."

Of course having an unlimited budget doesn't give you any money to employ an extra half dozen people to do the paperwork that stops you becoming a criminal.

And apparently publication was only a fortnight late on average. If you don't include the dozens/hundreds of contracts that still haven't been published.

Barefaced.

BlodwynPig

Spoiler alert
all that I can say was in autumn
Spoiler alert
we
[close]
were chucking money about without a care and then in the new year a missive came down that
Spoiler alert
auditors
[close]
were being prepped so correct process was going to have to be followed.
[close]

thugler

Quote from: sirhenry on February 20, 2021, 01:44:52 PM

Is that even after everyone's been vaxed? Is this assuming that a variant non responsive to the vax gets around? They're saying everyone will have had the first jab by July now right?

MrMrs

yeah exactly, I don't get why we'd be having yearly waves etc

Cuellar

Some people can't get vaxxeda at all I suppose.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: MrMrs on February 21, 2021, 04:44:37 PM
yeah exactly, I don't get why we'd be having yearly waves etc

because you and most people are not epidemiologists. There are many factors - not least the efficacy of the existing vaccines, irregardless of variants.

sirhenry

Quote from: thugler on February 21, 2021, 01:41:51 PM
Is that even after everyone's been vaxed? Is this assuming that a variant non responsive to the vax gets around? They're saying everyone will have had the first jab by July now right?
And in the end it is just another flu, so it thrives in colder weather and is likely to reappear in winters like other flus. And none of the vaccines is 100% effective as Blod says, so it will always be around.

But medical treatments are improving and it shouldn't become a pandemic again because of the vaccines (which should also improve over time), meaning that hospitals are very unlikely to be overwhelmed in the future which was the major worry up to now. Another few years and it will probably be seen as just another, albeit slightly more damaging, form of flu to expect in the winter. And old farts like me will be vaccinated for it every autumn in the same way that we are for the most expected form of flu each year currently.

This is mostly bollocks (see below).

Zetetic

It's not flu though and, while it's not as though flu seasonality is well-understood (AFAIK), it seems at least partially rely on the way that flu manages to maintain a bunch of sizeable human and non-human reservoirs (and influenza's greater tendency towards genetic churn).

Quotein the same way that we are for the most expected form of flu each year currently.
We try to hit three to four influenza subtypes every year, I note. Notably, we[nb]In the global north-west.[/nb] also generally get a decent lead-time for identifying these - it's hard to see how we'd get that for a COVID variant. (The paper describes the current situation as a race between infection and vaccination.)

I think the paper emphasises that we don't really have any idea whether we're going to see "seasonality" with SARS-CoV-2 (and that presumably is something that's a bit open to human intervention in the next few years).

Zetetic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

A big chunk out of the hospitalisation figures today vs. same time last week.

Shallower falls in cases and deaths though.

thugler

I thought just the vulnerable groups getting vaxed got rid of 99% of deaths or something? And even if it doesn't offer total immunity it significantly reduces the serious cases. So I'm still confused about further waves. What constitutes a wave? A few cases? Or stuff getting shut down again? Are vulnerable but vaxed people just going to live in perpetual caution now?