Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:56:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH III

Started by imitationleather, April 12, 2020, 11:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: thugler on February 21, 2021, 07:04:43 PM
I thought just the vulnerable groups getting vaxed got rid of 99% of deaths or something? And even if it doesn't offer total immunity it significantly reduces the serious cases. So I'm still confused about further waves. What constitutes a wave? A few cases? Or stuff getting shut down again? Are vulnerable but vaxed people just going to live in perpetual caution now?

Pretty much. Other stuff on the horizon, not all of it virus related.

Chedney Honks

Russian Bird Flu is next from what I read this morning.

bgmnts

That story is like 2 days old, there's probably another virus germinating in someone's fridge in Ukraine right now, that could kill us all.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Chedney Honks on February 21, 2021, 08:13:56 PM
Russian Bird Flu is next from what I read this morning.

There is another virus that has been touted, but that was a month or so ago and not from Russia.

Zetetic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 21, 2021, 07:59:53 PM
Other stuff on the horizon, not all of it virus related.
We've got a tonne of backlog of all sorts of other things, even before we open up the economic knock-on effects.

I think one of the most useful things I can point to in the last year that I did was knock-up something extremely dubious, using A&E attendances and the like, to convince some of our cancer services that they were not going to see a massive wave of referrals in now + four weeks (because people were staying away from all sorts of services and were likely to do so for years to come[nb]Based on things like the Japan Triple Disaster[/nb]).The flipside of that is that we're building up a decent stock of people with cancer, slipping along the stages, in various parts of the system and outside of it - I know we've got some people modelling that...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

bgmnts

Walked into another Lowry painting today.

Nobody cares, fucking hate them all.

Fambo Number Mive

Another varient, first detected in Brazil, now found in the UK: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56233038

Quote...The three Scottish residents had returned to Scotland from Brazil via Paris and London, the Scottish government said.

Other passengers who were on the same flight from London to Aberdeen are being contacted.

The three cases are not connected to the three in England, the Scottish government said.

In England, the first two cases were from a household in south Gloucestershire with a history of travel to Brazil, but the third is not linked, Public Health England said.

The whereabouts of that individual is unknown, as PHE says the person did not complete their test registration card so follow-up details are unavailable.

Officials are asking anyone who took a test on 12 or 13 February and who has not received a result or has an uncompleted test registration card to come forward immediately...

Still not closing the borders though.

SpiderChrist

I've fucking had enough. I've had enough of the virus, of this government's disgustingly slapdash handling of it, and of all my mates banging on about going to pubs and gigs on 21 June cos the government says they can. An old friend of mine described me on Facebook as Spider "The End Is Nigh" Christ and I just burst into tears. Fuck it all.

jobotic

I hear you.

I'm also sick of not one piece of shit in the government being willing to take any responsibility for anything - see this latest Brazil variant.

Not our fault, we're just filling our pockets like you voted us in to do.

Chedney Honks

Not too much to add, really, but I have a lot of sympathy, SpiderChrist.

That was me last summer but the cunts piped down fast enough by October.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

No-one can say what we will be able to do on June 21st at the minute, I'm touch and go about reopening schools when some areas will still be 100+ infections per 100k.

However, hopefully even if case numbers rise, by that point enough people immunised for hospital numbers to continue dropping.

The risk of pesky variants is a concern as well, but hopefully late spring and summer will be warm and dry and give us a hand.

It's perfectly fine for people to have hope for things improving and it isn't fair to pour cold water on the idea for now. Likewise you shouldn't receive abuse for expressing legitimate concerns.

Ferris

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 28, 2021, 05:56:48 PM
Another varient, first detected in Brazil, now found in the UK: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56233038

Still not closing the borders though.

Who are these lunatics flying to and from Brazil of all places?!

lipsink

Boris Johnson now saying this will not have any effect on the easing of lockdown. So basically it probably is likely to have an effect.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 01, 2021, 02:24:50 PM
It's perfectly fine for people to have hope for things improving and it isn't fair to pour cold water on the idea for now.

I agree that it's perfectly fine for people to have hope, but don't agree that having reservations about what might or might not happen in June, and expressing those reservations, is pouring cold water on those hopes. I just don't have the faith in our leaders that some of my peers do. For everyone's sake, however, I think it might be a good idea for me to withdraw discreetly from social media for a while, before I run out of mates completely.

GMTV

122k deaths in the UK now. Not long ago we hit the grim record of 100k deaths. Now almost at the half way point of the apocalyptic sounding 250k at the start of the pandemic, which would have seemed almost inconceivable back then.

Cuellar

Can't wait for the time when we look back fondly at the time when we thought this was a temporary aberration rather than the new crushing reality for ever and ever and ever.

Cuellar

"Dya remember in early 2021 when we thought we'd all be out and about in 6-8 month's time? That was good wasn't it. Anyway I just read that the air is so toxic now that it you go outside you burst into flames."

frajer

Peter Kayvid, Dead at Manchester Arena

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Big drop in UK cases and deaths vs same time last Monday. If it keeps falling then next you're looking at 2600 infections and 60ish deaths recorded next Monday, when kids are sent back to school. *Monday is the quiet day too due to how these things are recorded.

Feels a couple of weeks early to me.

MrMrs

what feels early? the numbers getting that low?

Chedney Honks

Hopefully masks in schools will make another big difference compared to September. I dunno. They probably all spitting on each other for a meme the second they get out the gates.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Cuellar

Quote from: Chedney Honks on March 01, 2021, 06:53:46 PM
Hopefully masks in schools will make another big difference compared to September. I dunno. They probably all spitting on each other for a meme the second they get out the gates.

Thought they weren't going to do masks in schools though.

Chedney Honks

I completely tuned out after the roadmap day. Have they U-turned the fuck out of that already? Haha. Fucking hell. OK, can I revise my opinion that we're on the home stretch unless it's to the fuckin morgue.

Cuellar

Well in classic this govt behaviour, they will not be compulsory but ministers hope schools will 'take precautions'

olliebean

Quote from: Cuellar on March 01, 2021, 08:36:59 PM
Well in classic this govt behaviour, they will not be compulsory but ministers hope schools will 'take precautions'

Whilst not providing them with any of the extra funding or resources necessary for any precautions they might wish to take.

Cuellar