Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:30:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH III

Started by imitationleather, April 12, 2020, 11:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

BlodwynPig

Oddly enough, given conversations elsewhere, I just found out from Comms that the stuff I'm handling at the moment will be featured on the One Show. They must have seen my praise for the corporation in those threads. I won't be appearing as I'm not able to show my face in public (after various debacles). Watch out for it soon if you can stomach the red sofa crew.

Chedney Honks

Hope it's all the sewage you sifted in the last five months dumped on the guys for three hours?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Chedney Honks on March 03, 2021, 05:28:02 PM
Hope it's all the sewage you sifted in the last five months dumped on the guys for three hours?

Project Eagle

DrGreggles

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 03, 2021, 05:00:22 PM
Oddly enough, given conversations elsewhere, I just found out from Comms that the stuff I'm handling at the moment will be featured on the One Show. They must have seen my praise for the corporation in those threads. I won't be appearing as I'm not able to show my face in public (after various debacles). Watch out for it soon if you can stomach the red sofa crew.

They'll cover any old shit on The One Show.

buttgammon

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 03, 2021, 05:00:22 PM

Haha! Say hello to Alex and Jermaine from me.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: buttgammon on March 03, 2021, 09:16:16 PM
Haha! Say hello to Alex and Jermaine from me.

I know... its like someone out there just knows!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

How can the government seriously be considering reopening schools on Monday if there are several areas with increasing rates of infection?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 04, 2021, 07:42:42 AM
How can the government seriously be considering reopening schools on Monday if there are several areas with increasing rates of infection?

"No going back"

I saw the school bus today - grey featureless faces staring out from dirty windows, joyless and bereft. Then I got off the bus.

Bleeding Kansas

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 04, 2021, 08:27:54 AM
I saw the school bus today - grey featureless faces staring out from dirty windows, joyless and bereft.

And that was just the teachers.

frajer

BlodwynPig

Quote from: frajer on March 04, 2021, 10:16:16 AM
But doctor, I am the school bus.

But I did see the school bus today, I did, I DID! Where are you taking meeeeee?

Drygate

Does anyone have concerns about the implementation of a bio security state?

Obviously I'm on board with suppressing covid but in the past I've been against mandatory ID cards etc.

I'm not sure what to make of stuff like this

https://architectsforsocialhousing.co.uk/2020/09/10/covid-19-implementing-the-uk-biosecurity-state-3/

Are they exploiting covid to push their anti surveillance agenda or is the state exploiting covid to roll out surveillance?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Drygate on March 05, 2021, 09:41:14 AM
Does anyone have concerns about the implementation of a bio security state?

Obviously I'm on board with suppressing covid but in the past I've been against mandatory ID cards etc.

I'm not sure what to make of stuff like this

https://architectsforsocialhousing.co.uk/2020/09/10/covid-19-implementing-the-uk-biosecurity-state-3/

Are they exploiting covid to push their anti surveillance agenda or is the state exploiting covid to roll out surveillance?

Given this is currently my job, I would say don't worry.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteData from hundreds of millions of check-ins by people who visited pubs, restaurants and hairdressers before lockdown was barely used by Test and Trace, according to a confidential report obtained by Sky News.

The report admits that the failure of the £22bn service to use the data for alerts or contact tracing meant "thousands of people" were not warned they might be at risk of infection, "potentially leading to the spread of the virus."

To make matters worse, when coronavirus data from venues was used, public health officials encouraged pubs and restaurants to contact customers directly - a breach of data protection law which could leave businesses facing legal action.

The report says that lack of guidance from Test and Trace for local public health teams on how to use the data left businesses "being asked to, or volunteering, to contact customers and visitors".

It adds: "This is a breach of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and leaves businesses and venues open to potential legal challenge."...

https://news.sky.com/story/test-and-trace-barely-used-check-in-data-from-pubs-and-restaurants-with-thousands-not-warned-of-infection-risk-12235392

jaydee81

This is also an interesting read

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/05/covid-uk-scientist-says-substantial-degree-of-mortality-inevitable-in-future

QuoteProf Andrew Hayward, a member of the UK government's Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), has said society will have to live with a degree of mortality that will be "substantial", but added that we will "get back to normal".

He told Times Radio: "I think, you know, given the societal trade-offs, we are going to have to live with a degree of mortality that will be substantial ... it will get less over time as more people get vaccinated and as more people get immune, and I do believe that we've been through the worst of this."

Hayward said he did not think new variants of Covid-19 would completely evade vaccine-related immunity. "The vaccines will still take the sting out of it, if you like, and reduce the case fatality rates," he said.

"Of course, we have the technology to update the vaccines and I think that's where we're going really, a situation that will be much more like flu, the numbers of deaths will be much more like flu, the approach to surveillance of new strains and development of new vaccines and regular annual vaccinations will be like that. And we will get back to normal."

Gist of it seems to be:

- We didn't learn the first time
Looking back on the beginning of the pandemic, Hayward, a professor of infectious disease epidemiology at UCL, said: "I think one of the reasons that we've had so many deaths is that we left things far too late, in terms of taking more restrictive measures.
"We should have been taking social distancing measures – if not a full lockdown then other measures that were trying to separate people – much earlier. At that time, of course, we also didn't really have the same mechanisms to measure how much disease there was in the community, so we were largely only really seeing the tip of the iceberg of cases.

- We didn't learn the second time
QuoteHayward said it was much easier to put out a very small fire than put out a big forest fire. "When it came to the following autumn, we didn't learn that lesson," he said.

- But we've learnt now.

Phew! That's a relief!

olliebean

Quote from: jaydee81 on March 05, 2021, 11:01:16 AM- We didn't learn the first time
- But we've learnt now.

Phew! That's a relief!

Have we? We still went into the current lockdown too late. Remains to be seen if we'll come out of it too early again, but if the data doesn't support the dates Johnson has publicised I suspect the dates will win out.

Bazooka

Well I've run my own data through my big computer and the results say: Johnny Public is going to go mental the minute restrictions are lifted and this thread will still be being updated daily in 2022.

olliebean

Fairly significant numbers of oldies who've had one dose of vaccine and not waited long enough for it to be giving them any protection at all are already breaking the rules to meet up with friends and family, apparently.

Bazooka

China aren't even vaccinating the over 59s yet, as the youth are more prosperous and boost the economy.

Alberon

Quote from: Bazooka on March 06, 2021, 11:40:49 AM
China aren't even vaccinating the over 59s yet, as the youth are more prosperous and boost the economy.

Bet Winnie the Pooh has had his though.

Bazooka

Cybernetic arse, can't catch the plague.

Fambo Number Mive

R number has risen from between 0.6 and 0.9 to between 0.7 and 0.9.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 06, 2021, 04:19:55 PM
R number has risen from between 0.6 and 0.9 to between 0.7 and 0.9.

Does that mean it might not have risen?

Old Thrashbarg

Yeah, could easily just be a more accurate estimate. Or it could even be lower than before.

shiftwork2

Or someone pulls this number out of their RRRRRRse.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Well, whatever the R number, we are heading to Back To School on Monday with daily infections above 5,000, hospitalisations above 10,000 and deaths in the hundreds per day.

Given the real prospect of inflicting months further of pain if this goes wrong*, I'd have been happier with two week postponement to the current plan in order to make further positive progress, or at the very least a phased reopening of schools to make it more gradual.

*and somehow, the govt STILL won't get the blame

Quote from: jaydee81 on March 05, 2021, 11:01:16 AM
- We didn't learn the first time
- But we've learnt now.

Billy Joel considers rewrite.

hamfist

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 06, 2021, 06:22:08 PM
Well, whatever the R number, we are heading to Back To School on Monday with daily infections above 5,000, hospitalisations above 10,000 and deaths in the hundreds per day.

Given the real prospect of inflicting months further of pain if this goes wrong*, I'd have been happier with two week postponement to the current plan in order to make further positive progress, or at the very least a phased reopening of schools to make it more gradual.

*and somehow, the govt STILL won't get the blame

Definitely, could easily have gone on into the easter holidays rather than back2skool for 3 weeks or whatever it is