Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:36:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH III

Started by imitationleather, April 12, 2020, 11:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: peanutbutter on May 14, 2020, 02:36:46 PM
RE: the furlough scheme and having people return in August on the basis of an employer contribution, won't this just result in employers deliberately not bringing people back until they can avail of the government paying a big chunk of their wages?

Yep, Homebase is open seven days a week making bumper profits right now whilst many middle management are furloughed.

Fambo Number Mive

The Tory fanatics shouting down any criticism of the government on Twitter and in the media don't seem to apply the same rules to local government in London where Sadiq Khan is being blamed for Tfl workers not being immune to the virus.  Why aren't they telling Shaun Bailey to stop criticising Khan and work together with Khan? Oh of course, it's because there is one rule for Tories and another for the rest of us.

Fambo Number Mive

Haven't we already seen the slide showing a survey from 24th April to 3rd May where 80% of people said they only left home for permitted reasons or not at all? Wouldn't a lot of people who breached lockdown rules not want to admit this even anonymously?  Even then 20% admitting to breaking lockdown rules shows that the enforcement of lockdown was not strict enough.

NoSleep

Depends what breaking the rules amounts to. For example, going out twice on the same day to exercise is entirely safe if you're observing other rules about social distancing, etc. A lot of people might have bent the rules like that without flaunting them.

Fambo Number Mive

That's very true. I think that easing the once a day rule was the right thing to do, but maybe it should have been to twice a day rather than unlimited exercise.

Dr Rock

Camden Market to re-open June 1st, according to a trader I know there. Seems risky.

Fambo Number Mive

"Civic duty" to avoid public transport according to Shapps. So people who can't drive/cycle/walk to work are bad people Shapps?

NoSleep

Not so much bad as soon to be jobless. Feckless, perhaps.

Fambo Number Mive

It's disgusting the government aren't telling everyone they must wear a mask on public transport as a minimum and funding hand sanitiser points (like the Rwandan government did at bus stops) outside major transport hubs and bus stops.

NoSleep

That TfL email I posted in this thread earlier today (sent to me because I have an Oyster card) states that you should wear a mask if you're using public transport.

QuoteWe are taking measures across our network to enable social distancing of 2 metres where possible. Please wear a face covering. Do not travel if you have any symptoms of the virus.

You may be asked to wait to enter a station. Some stations will have one-way systems, or you may be asked to walk on the left. We are also asking people to maintain social distancing throughout stations, for example on stairs, escalators and in lifts.

If travelling by bus, please maintain social distancing at stops and bus stations wherever possible. Currently you will also need to board the bus using the middle doors and you do not need to tap in. When in the bus please use all available space, including the upper deck, if possible, to maintain social distancing.

We are doing everything we can to maintain the cleanliness of our network with regular cleaning using hospital grade antiviral disinfectant.

It is also important that you continue to follow the Government advice on hygiene. Please wash your hands before and after travel and carry hand sanitiser with you. We are also putting hand sanitiser dispensers in our stations in the coming weeks.

BlodwynPig

olliebean

In some places in the world, they hand out proper surgical masks for free. Here, the official government advice is to cut up an old T-Shirt and tie it round your face.

buttgammon

It looks like they're going to make us wear them on public transport here (fair enough), and I bought some off some Etsy person.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 14, 2020, 10:26:59 PM
where can you get masks from?

There's tons on Groupon, you could order also one from Boohoo for a fiver and the money goes to the NHS. Either that or cut up a t shirt... or a small sock.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on May 15, 2020, 06:21:34 AM
There's tons on Groupon, you could order also one from Boohoo for a fiver and the money goes to the NHS. Either that or cut up a t shirt... or a small sock.

Neither will be effective to prevent the virus entering my system and killing me

NoSleep

You could take a look at making one using a hepa filter from a vacuum cleaner bag or something.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: NoSleep on May 15, 2020, 09:38:13 AM
You could take a look at making one using a hepa filter from a vacuum cleaner bag or something.

my mum has made some out of silk napkins

Fambo Number Mive

Canary Wharf, which has "detailed plans" bring back tens of thousands of bankers, lawyers and accountants to the office, expects 12,000 to return over the next couple of weeks. Why can't they work from home? I would imagine the majority live outside of walking or cycling distance so will need to use public transport, especially those who will need to pay the congestion charge (to be brought back and raised from 18th May) if they drive through Central London to get to Canary Wharf.

Fambo Number Mive

EDIT: I think this deserves its own thread.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 15, 2020, 04:41:02 PM
EDIT: I think this deserves its own thread.

What, an edit? Pff. Nah. Surely not that many people are that interested in reading about this post edit.

Dog Botherer

looks half of my wife's Trump loving, virus denying family either have it or were heavily exposed.

will keep ye updated if this makes em change their tune

Alberon

The government has backtracked on exempting France from immigration quarantine.

Apparently this line published on a government website

Quote"No quarantine measures would apply to travellers coming from France at this stage; any measures on either side would be taken in a concerted and reciprocal manner,"

Meant

Quotethe prime minister's spokesman insisted there was no French exemption, and that the original statement referred to the need for cooperation to manage the common border between the two countries.

Now it will only apply to freight drivers.

Meanwhile the R value creeps upwards to 1.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ffs, how fucking amateur can you get. It's the sort of thing you'd get fucked off with if a local rotary club did it.

BlodwynPig

buttgammon

There's possibly going to be a similar clarification/rowing back with the Irish exemption because it's not reciprocal - the Irish government have confirmed travellers from Great Britain have to quarantine (though I think that's with special dispensation for people going between Britain and NI via the Republic).

Dex Sawash

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 14, 2020, 10:26:59 PM
where can you get masks from?

Saw a man the other day who had done a Cornholio sort of thing with his tshirt. Had his arms out the bottom and the sleeves tied behind his head, neatly arranged to have multiple layers of cloth over his  ohfuckitpix

He looked a lot cooler though. Extra style points for not using an extra shirt.
Was buying a toilet plunger.

Ferris

Saw one lad doing his shopping in full hazmat suit and face ventilator thing. Had a laugh with the guy in line behind me about it.

Just shop online if you're that scared you wally

olliebean

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 16, 2020, 12:48:33 PM
Saw a man the other day who had done a Cornholio sort of thing with his tshirt. Had his arms out the bottom and the sleeves tied behind his head, neatly arranged to have multiple layers of cloth over his  ohfuckitpix

He looked a lot cooler though. Extra style points for not using an extra shirt.
Was buying a toilet plunger.

Tutorial needed.

Bently Sheds

This morning; me and Mrs Sheds, masked and gloved up, heading towards the entrance to Iceland. T-shirted blokey man with a big dog looks at us.
"You got it? YOU GOT IT??" he shouts, backing away. I laugh, thinking he was having bloke bantz, but there is panic in his expression.
"What?" I ask.
"You got Coronavirus? You shouldn't be out!!"
"We've been tested. We are both clear," Mrs Sheds says
"Then why you wearin masks then?" He's getting a bit angsty now.
"Cuz we don't want to catch it off other people" I reply.
"Catch what? What are you afraid of? Coronavirus? That ain't gonna kill you. It's a lie. It ain't lethal." He's frothing a bit now.
"I'm not chancing it, mate," I say.
"Only God can take your life. A virus can't kill you," he shouts.
"God?" Mrs Sheds says. "Whatever"
"WHATEVER? ONLY GOD HAS THE POWER TO TAKE YOUR LIFE! HE GAVE ME MINE AND YOU SAY WHATEVER???" even his dog looks scared now.
"OK. Thanks. You have a good day." I say and enter the shop.

In the shop are a couple fully covered up with hats and scarves and us with our gloves and masks on and we avoid each other by the regulation 6ft. Everyone else is bare faced, summer clothes, elbowing us out of the way for their Mrs Brown's Pies.

Dead soon, all of them. Iceland profits nosedive.