Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:04:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH III

Started by imitationleather, April 12, 2020, 11:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evilcommiedictator

I thought Neil Gaiman got dumped, that would explain him wanting to get the fuck out of home? (well a little)

Fambo Number Mive

Good video about the government's disinformation response to journalists actually trying to hold the government to account: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlE6RwKwtq8

evilcommiedictator

There's been a technical analysis done of the NHS COVID App, it's a bit long, but the response to it and others is here and a bit more readable

olliebean

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on May 20, 2020, 12:55:28 PM
There's been a technical analysis done of the NHS COVID App, it's a bit long, but the response to it and others is here and a bit more readable

Fixed your links for you.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on May 19, 2020, 12:16:43 PM
I found this article interesting https://www.theage.com.au/business/markets/the-handling-of-covid-19-has-led-to-a-very-british-disaster-20200514-p54ssd.html

It reinforces the lack of not just a coherent strategy but any strategy whatsoever.

Yes. The recent moment where the government announced they had made a reciprocal arrangement to accept people from France without any quarantine measures on arrival, people pointing out France has a land border with the entire continent only for 24 hours later to announce the opposite and for France to confirm no such arrangement had been even offered about summed it up.

Or perhaps the introduction of the idea of 14 day quarantine on arrival 2 months after it would have made the most difference, not helping either a business-first strategy or a health-first strategy.

Or perhaps discharging people from hospital back into care homes without even testing them for coronavirus during the peak of the pandemic. Yeah, yeah it's that one isn't it...

BlodwynPig

weekender

Yeah, and then another one will get in.

BlodwynPig

Mexico just recorded its biggest daily death count. Spiralling...

Abnormal Palm

Few weeks ago when people were saying 'well fuckin you know AFRICA is doing fine mate' or simply the word 'Sweden' as the final word in any conversation. Guess what.

NoSleep

Yup... this has only just begun, but many of the richer countries aren't going to be bothered noticing.

bgmnts

Quote from: NoSleep on May 21, 2020, 10:21:27 AM
Yup... this has only just begun, but many of the richer countries aren't going to be bothered noticing.

Karen Carpenter considers rewrite.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 21, 2020, 10:02:37 AM
Few weeks ago when people were saying 'well fuckin you know AFRICA is doing fine mate' or simply the word 'Sweden' as the final word in any conversation. Guess what.

I'm not sure anyone was saying that but today a total of 71 people are recorded as dying on the entire continent of Africa of Covid

More people are recorded as dying in Kings, Queens and the Bronx today.

They may be on different trajectories but maybe wait until that point before the odd triumphalism.

Alberon

Maybe, but it's not likely that Covid deaths in Africa will be as comprehensively recorded as they are in the US.

Jimmy Crankie - "Our message needs to become more nuanced & we need people to exercise judgement and responsibility"

OMG IT'S ALL SO CONFUSING I DON'T KNOW HOW TO EVEN

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 21, 2020, 08:13:16 PM
I'm not sure anyone was saying that but today a total of 71 people are recorded as dying on the entire continent of Africa of Covid

More people are recorded as dying in Kings, Queens and the Bronx today.

They may be on different trajectories but maybe wait until that point before the odd triumphalism.

Another good reason to turn our back on that self-sufficient continent

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on May 21, 2020, 09:47:33 PM
Jimmy Crankie - "Our message needs to become more nuanced & we need people to exercise judgement and responsibility"

OMG IT'S ALL SO CONFUSING I DON'T KNOW HOW TO EVEN

Oh look, The Fifth Claw has arrived.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Alberon on May 21, 2020, 09:28:08 PM
Maybe, but it's not likely that Covid deaths in Africa will be as comprehensively recorded as they are in the US.

I think that goes without saying. The main point still stands starkly. When 3 districts of anywhere have recorded more deaths than an entire continent you can't really ascribe that to simply failure to record on the part of a whole landmass. There are large cities, thousands of hospitals and a fine tradition of carefully standing by and recording how shit and fucked up it is. As it stands Africa has not been seriously affected. Maybe they'll get their turn but they'd better hurry up because unless millions of Africans die Bosto is going to lose face on here.

Abnormal Palm

In fairness, I obviously hope that Africa magically avoids a public health disaster. They got enough problems, such as lions.

chveik

a lot of African countries started their lockdown much earlier (in terms of number of cases) than us

Abnormal Palm

Yeah I got a buddy in Nigeria, says they're doing decent except for all the murders.

There would also be plans to follow from previous pandemics. Lived experience of things like Ebola would make a country act fast.

Alberon

According to this page https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ which, admittedly, might not be the most accurate, yesterday we reached the same number of deaths-per-million as Italy.

That leaves just Spain and Belgium (apart from statistical freaks like San Marino)ahead of us in the deaths per million stakes and the latter might only be there as it is counting more types of death as Covid ones than we are.

Blumf

I've not been paying attention: Are we still using that colour coded alertness level thing? Seems like it's completely dropped off the news merry-go-round. What colour are we?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blumf on May 24, 2020, 01:28:38 AM
I've not been paying attention: Are we still using that colour coded alertness level thing? Seems like it's completely dropped off the news merry-go-round. What colour are we?

Beige

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Overall global deaths seem to be slowing in pace. 100,000 to 200,000 took 15 days, 200,000 to 300,000 took 21 days, looks like maybe a month to get to 400,000.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Alberon on May 24, 2020, 12:24:52 AM
According to this page https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ which, admittedly, might not be the most accurate, yesterday we reached the same number of deaths-per-million as Italy.

That leaves just Spain and Belgium (apart from statistical freaks like San Marino)ahead of us in the deaths per million stakes and the latter might only be there as it is counting more types of death as Covid ones than we are.

yeh, I saw that, same death/million and same no. cases/million

however, both countries have under-reported too by a significant margin

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 24, 2020, 09:59:24 AM
Overall global deaths seem to be slowing in pace. 100,000 to 200,000 took 15 days, 200,000 to 300,000 took 21 days, looks like maybe a month to get to 400,000.

assuming no second wave for early-openers and first wave exponentials in places like Africa. Brazil have fucking galloped to second place in the world...will Bolsanaro be lynched now? I hate that fuck more than anyone on this planet right now.

jobotic

Recoveries still N/A and I still don't understand.

Zetetic

We don't have any mechanisms for collecting recoveries that would match up to our case identification mechanisms, particularly as we're now doing more testing outside of hospitals.