Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:19:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH III

Started by imitationleather, April 12, 2020, 11:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Is the gap between some years going back to school on 1st June and non essential shops opening up on June 15th long enough to see the effects of the former, given it takes a few days for infected people to display coronavirus symptoms and its going to take time to get tests out to people once they do report symptoms?

Also the BBC is very good at pointing out issues other countries are having with coronavirus and lockdowns but not so good when it comes to holding the British government to account. It's important that all governments are reported on but the way it's done feels a bit "Look over there! Look how badly they* are doing."

*Almost always a country with a lower number of deaths and cases.

I feel so angry at how the government has handled this and how a section of the population continue to cheerlead for them and smear their critics just because they are worried that if Johnson and Cummings go they won't get their hard Brexit (which wasn't what many of those on the Leave side claimed would be the outcome if Leave won, but that's for another thread). It's evident how if they had taken drastically different actions the death toll would be much less. The government had the actions of plenty of other countries who had had the virus hit earlier to learn from.

It's not like most of the country voted for the Tories either - turnout in 2019 was 67.3% and of those 67.3% of those eligible to vote only 43.6% voted Tory. It's just frustrating that over 30% of the population didn't go out and vote - did they not agree with any of the parties? Could they not get to the polls (and why aren't the polls open for two days to give more people a chance to vote?) Did they not care? Yet this government elected by a minority of the population will probably win the 2025 election, if there are still elections. It's just so disgusting and one feels so powerless, people seem to swallow the shite served up by the BBC and billionaire-owned press.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The Tories have been the sitting government for 10 years and throughout have had mass appeal (though much of its support tends to be quiet about it). The people currently defending Johnson are a peculiar mishmash of Brexit fanatics (which are an alliance of left-to-rot ex industrial area voters and Home Counties fantasists) and his more energetic support from corporate quarters, some of which let's say isn't UK based.

This is partly why the Cummings issue has proven difficult because the former seem to have realised that he is the enemy - and let's hope they hold that thought, whereas the latter are the same right-wing drones we will be fending off from now until oblivion who will never ever change.

steveh

Quote from: Zetetic on May 28, 2020, 12:57:25 PM
My understanding - shit immunity persistence might mean this is endemic, repeated vaccination (worldwide???) might be an answer to this.

There was a virologist in an earlier article I linked to who suggested though that subsequent reinfection would generally be milder - more like a cold - even if antibodies have declined enough to allow reinfection.

Cuellar

Can't believe you're now allowed to go and visit parents, sit in parks with people etc. Already had texts from the parents saying 'Let's all meet up!!!'

The dream is over :(

Abnormal Palm

Unless you dream about hundreds of thousands of people dying 🤣🤣🤣

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Cuellar on May 29, 2020, 09:30:14 AM
Can't believe you're now allowed to go and visit parents, sit in parks with people etc. Already had texts from the parents saying 'Let's all meet up!!!'

The dream is over :(

It's perfectly reasonable to lock yourself until a treatment or vaccine is found. Which in the latter case, is never.

Cuellar

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 29, 2020, 10:09:28 AM
Unless you dream about hundreds of thousands of people dying 🤣🤣🤣

Look can't we just keep all the restrictions in place even when there's no risk? Not too much to ask.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Most populated countries without any major reported covid outbreak yet

Ethiopia
Nigeria
Bangladesh
DRC
Vietnam
Thailand
Tanzania
Myanmar
Kenya

USA surpassed the combined recorded Covid deaths of 850m people over 5 months in the last 24 hours alone.

Abnormal Palm

I got a mate in Nigeria, he said they're not worried about it because the murder rate is so high, anyway.

Mate in Vietnam said they're doing such a great job, he got deported from his wife and new baby. Foreigners get to fuck is their strat.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Avoid foreigners and die of something else easily preventable first are the two combining factors which make for FUCKDOWN ZONE COMPLETED

shiftwork2

Quote from: steveh on May 29, 2020, 09:27:29 AM
There was a virologist in an earlier article I linked to who suggested though that subsequent reinfection would generally be milder - more like a cold - even if antibodies have declined enough to allow reinfection.

Why are you addressing this to Zetetic?  He / she isn't a scientist (as far as I know).  He's a band 4 or 5 (at a push) analyst of data.  That's going on his / her post record.  The incessant anti-English thing may be as a result of the job, or just there.  Who cares.

If he / she is a scientist then let us know in the thread.

Zetetic

Is being paid to undertake "research", a symptom of being a scientist?

(I don't know anything much about viruses either way.)

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on May 29, 2020, 10:11:50 PM

(I don't know anything much about viruses either way.)

They are quite simple organisms.

Zetetic

BlodwynPig

shiftwork2

Quote from: Zetetic on May 29, 2020, 10:11:50 PM

Of course it isn't.  Are you accredited or registered with a professional body at that scientific level?

This honestly isn't meant to run you down, but your posts seem to enjoy an unjustified weight and that's mainly down to your commendably fuss-free and uncluttered style that I actually happen to enjoy reading.

Zetetic

No, I am without any kind of professional registration and have no protected title.

If they ever bring in professional registration for healthcare data analysts, I'm hopeful that I won't qualify for that either.

shiftwork2

Clinical Scientist is well established.

edit: Hang on you've edited that.  This is in response to your original edit.

Zetetic

I thought better of quibbling over it - I know there are things like "clinical scientist" and "biomedical scientist" - which I hope I've never claimed to be.

I guess more relevantly there are simply Science Council titles as well ("registered scientist", "chartered scientist") although I've never heard anyone use them.

Zetetic

On England:

I am English. Possibly more English than almost anyone else on here, depending where you think the purest England can be found - unsullied by the far more realistic regional cultures spread across the country.

It is a bit the working here, outside of England but still within its grasp, that has made me hate more and more. Along those lines:

The English healthcare analysts came here once, not so long ago, en masse. The spent the whole day talking in their awful acronyms which meant nothing to us, and often seemed to mean little more to them. Perhaps a way signalling dedication to whatever novel madness they were painting their markets with this decade. Still, on it went, everyone else at this nominally UK-wide (except Northern Ireland) event subjected to this awful noise, mostly about shuffling meaningless money from one of their fictions to the next. Worse in a way when there was something genuinely about helping people, but still caked in this stuff.

At the end of the day, they told me that I was the greatest of their kind that could be found that year, in all of Elizabeth's domain (except Northern Ireland). Supposedly relating to how fantastic the work is, that I've done on the consequences of Westminster strangling healthcare across the UK for the last decade or so. They gave me a rough-hewn wooden totem, in case I was unsure how much value to place on the accolade. I guess they felt they had to give it to someone from here, since they'd come all this way.

Being polite, I thanked them. Being sensitive, I did so in the language of this country. They looked at me in terror and confusion.

I expected them to be surprised, I admit, but I didn't think they would have come here and not even have learnt how to say "thank you".

It's not the thing that made me feel how I do about the UK and England. Even just considering the miswritten newspaper articles and journal articles and thinktank reports and so on, it's not really a big thing. But it has stayed with me, and seems connected to the situation we have now of constantly having to clarify that here is not just a part of there.

And I know that England is, for the most part, as bad for itself as it is for everyone else. If there is any hope, it lies in its "regions", because only there lies the force to destroy the whole.

I appreciate without the context of being me, in my head, the "incessant anti-English thing" is increasingly tiresome and it's not going to make anything any better. So I'll give a rest.

BlodwynPig

Ah, the healthcare data analyst Iannucci then!

Zetetic

I prefer to think of myself as the healthcare data analyst She-Ra, but I'm not allowed to put that in my email signature either. (Or to refer to the English as "the Horde".)

idunnosomename

sorry this isn't perhaps directly related with respiratory conditions caused by extremely infectious viral strains but

SADLY CENSORED but here's the original if you love a good dick
https://twitter.com/eritoJav1/status/1256637463793152000

Zetetic

Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 29, 2020, 09:36:12 PM
He's a band 4 or 5 (at a push)
I was trying to remember what this reminded me of. I think I've seen someone try to do this in real life just once, about a colleague of mine, to me. Quite a horrible memory, because I'm fairly sure sexism was at work, possibly mixed in with racism and classism.

(Which is not what I think is behind shiftwork2's judgement - that they wouldn't waste piss on me is purely on the basis of merit.)

pancreas

Quote from: Zetetic on May 29, 2020, 11:22:36 PM
On England

A unexpected spell of lucidity. (And much appreciated—footnote, Ed.)

BlodwynPig

shiftwork2

I've made a right mess of this.  My point was supposed to be that Z (and his posts that I make a point of reading) is coming from the same non-expert background as everyone else on the forum when it comes to virology and epidemiology.  Maybe I should have just written that sentence.

Thank you for the background on the England / Wales stuff.

Dr Rock

So, the self-employed like me are going to get another payment equivalent to three month's declared earnings, but this time 70% not 80%. Yay.

I expect the same three months after that when the virus spikes worse than before because of the government's shit handling of absolutely everything Covid-related.

olliebean

So hang on, the alert level is still at 4 but they're relaxing the lockdown rules further anyway? They're not even trying to hide the fact that they don't give a shit if we die.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I don't think any of the other countries were still sustaining 350 Covid deaths a day when they rolled back the lockdown restrictions. It would make more sense to enter a period of total lockdown for 3 weeks so the active cases decline and when people rejoin society the prospects of reinfection are very low.

We've fucked ourselves either way though. The mistake was made at the start - the havoc from that is still being wreaked.