Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:54:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH III

Started by imitationleather, April 12, 2020, 11:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

isn't the UK underreporting? I've seen talks of more than 50k deaths.

Alberon

True, but I think most countries, apart from Belgium, are doing the same.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on June 03, 2020, 01:47:57 PM
isn't the UK underreporting? I've seen talks of more than 70k deaths.

ftfy

steveh

The reaction to so many deaths seems strangely muted. When people first started dying in Italy there were pictures of Italian newspapers with pages and pages of obituaries but there has been nothing like that here. With nearly 1 in 1,000 people living in the UK now dead on the excess deaths estimates - 1 in 10 from care homes - who these people were and the lives they led seems to have got almost no attention.

It's been a very depersonalised pandemic. The numbers compute even less if you live in an area that has hardly been affected. I don't know if is because it's hard to make sense of death on such a scale. If a few hundred people die in a plane crash we don't tend to hear stories of those who passed. So I imagine it is even harder to tell the stories of the thousands who've died. The inquiry years down the line might give them a voice, who knows?

Alberon

The death toll rose by 359 today. Even the official figure with the lowest death rate will reach 40,000 by probably tomorrow. Hopefully that will bring some response from politicians and the media.

Norton Canes

So we're about a fifth of the way to the predicted 250,000 deaths from an attempt at herd immunity. Nice going.

Zetetic

Quote from: chveik on June 03, 2020, 01:47:57 PM
isn't the UK underreporting? I've seen talks of more than 50k deaths.
Based on excess deaths? We've seen a decent spike in those with an "underlying cause" of dementia (and no mention of COVID-19 on the death certificate, or indeed any respiratory illness which is interesting). Some places more than others in the UK, for whatever reason.

I doubt this is a UK-specific phenomenon. Death certificates aren't magic anywhere.

Zetetic

Zetetic

ONS have just said that they'll be publishing analysis of "excess deaths" tomorrow:
https://twitter.com/NickStripe_ONS/status/1268559361548435462

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: steveh on June 03, 2020, 02:57:14 PM
The reaction to so many deaths seems strangely muted. When people first started dying in Italy there were pictures of Italian newspapers with pages and pages of obituaries but there has been nothing like that here. With nearly 1 in 1,000 people living in the UK now dead on the excess deaths estimates - 1 in 10 from care homes - who these people were and the lives they led seems to have got almost no attention.

I find it quite striking too. The papers seemed to revel in the misery of other countries but when it reached the UK and took off it lasted about 10 days, after which they have done anything possible to find other things to talk about than the misery count.

I appreciate this is because lockdown is killing print media.

But to pass over 350 people a day dying, in sharp relief vs fewer deaths in the entire EU is negligent in the extreme.

Zetetic

Fambo Number Mive

R number above 1 in North West, near 1 elsewhere:
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/coronavirus-r-infection-number-now-18370275.amp

Will they have to delay opening non essential shops as a result?

kalowski

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 05, 2020, 04:55:47 PM
R number above 1 in North West, near 1 elsewhere:
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/coronavirus-r-infection-number-now-18370275.amp

Will they have to delay opening non essential shops as a result?
No. Just "move on" and get Covid done.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: kalowski on June 05, 2020, 05:35:53 PM
No. Just "move on" and get Covid done.

Precis. Deaths per day will be back up to 900-1000 by end of June

"We'll just have to accept this as the new norm. But here's a new yacht you've just bought the Queen!"

olliebean

Fuck - as I'm getting somewhat used to saying recently - sake. I thought I was relatively safe here, but:

QuoteLondon on 0.95 - a huge increase from its last value of 0.4

Something else for Johnson to be proud of.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: olliebean on June 05, 2020, 08:08:24 PM
Fuck - as I'm getting somewhat used to saying recently - sake. I thought I was relatively safe here, but:

Something else for Johnson to be proud of.

cut and paste

"surely the end for Johnson"

*moves to bin*

chveik

the whole purpose of the uk now is to make other european countries feel good about themselves

Danger Man

Quote from: chveik on June 05, 2020, 09:57:03 PM
the whole purpose of the uk now is to make other european countries feel good about themselves

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on June 05, 2020, 09:57:03 PM

When I was growing up, Britain was known as the Dirty Man of Europe. Plus ça change.

MrMrs

Ferris

Eastern Canada declared 0 active cases.

*Ferris bangs on about his impending move to the coast*

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 06, 2020, 12:53:16 AM
Eastern Canada declared 0 active cases.

*Ferris bangs on about his impending move to the coast*

0 -> 3

bgmnts

The marketers have created a new term called "support bubble".

Politics is just buzzwords and phrases.

Captain Z

Can I row this support bubble across the channel to Calais?

pancreas

Quote from: bgmnts on June 10, 2020, 05:19:51 PM
The marketers have created a new term called "support bubble".

Politics is just buzzwords and phrases.

New official name for a colostomy bag. PC gone mad.

Sheffield Wednesday

What coffee do you get someone who's on a ventilator because they've got coronavirus and you want to rub it in?

Venti Mocha

Fambo Number Mive

olliebean

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 15, 2020, 05:59:18 PM
Raab by himself today. No scientists.

I guess that means they can no longer find any scientists willing to back them up.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: olliebean on June 15, 2020, 10:00:01 PM
I guess that means they can no longer find any scientists willing to back them up.

Sacked them all.