Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:11:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH III

Started by imitationleather, April 12, 2020, 11:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheffield Wednesday

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 08, 2020, 07:57:18 PM
You're 'annihilating' an argument no-one is making.

I'm well aware of all that, I'm mentioning it to juxtapose the value placed on human life by individuals and by governments. If you and Blodwyn would prefer lockdown every time there is a chance of 20,000 people dying of health complications stemming from viral infection a 3 month period, then that's what will need to happen every winter regardless of additional Covid concerns. Are you prepared for that, have you contemplated that before setting off on one of your daily sermons?

I already addressed that in the post you skimmed to suckle on the teat of normality.

I literally addressed that exact point.

I specifically addressed that exact same pub bore 'realist' perspective which can be fucked off the into the morgue in about half a clause like so much fondant lung butter.

BlodwynPig

OK, we've given him a hard time. After all, he's a man at the end of the prime of his life. Who's to begrudge him this last dusk of frivolity and merriment?

Zetetic

there is a chance of 20,000 people dying of health complications stemming from viral infection a 3 month period
That wasn't the risk that COVID-19 posed.

(It's not the risk that uncontrolled seasonal flu poses either.)

Uncle TechTip

You shouldn't just focus on deaths. The report today of people with mild respiratory symptoms, but they see flying pigs, or put their coat on four times, shows this virus carries many dangers. I don't want to spin the wheel - i choose to keep my head down and good luck to everyone else. From this point i wear a mask in a shop. It's a passive-aggressive cycling mask and people look at you strangely, but we are beyond that.

sambwel

You're 'annihilating' an argument no-one is making.

I'm well aware of all that, I'm mentioning it to juxtapose the value placed on human life by individuals and by governments. If you and Blodwyn would prefer lockdown every time there is a chance of 20,000 people dying of health complications stemming from viral infection a 3 month period, then that's what will need to happen every winter regardless of additional Covid concerns. Are you prepared for that, have you contemplated that before setting off on one of your daily sermons?

You might as well compare it to the road toll and bluster that we don't ban cars. Covid is not the flu. Save your outrage for some imagined future when a covid vaccine exists and lockdowns are still enforced.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'm not comparing it, try reading the post you quoted.

sambwel

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 09, 2020, 08:15:36 AM
I'm not comparing it, try reading the post you quoted.

You must be using some exotic definition of 'compare' of which I've hitherto been unaware.

MrMrs

Twit 2

Zetetic

Nice way to see the difference in reliability of mentioning COVID-19 on the death certificate between Wales and England:

Red is COVID-19-attributed deaths, orange is the rest, showing "excess" (or shortfall) compared to the last few years.

Source

BlodwynPig

A few weeks ago there were about 25-30 countries free of the disease

Today that has dwindled to 15. Even some remote places have seen new cases - New Caledonia, Curacao... New Zealand is getting sporadic drips of cases. Dunno if they are receiving new flights with infected?

Doesn't even need to be flights. If there are enough asymptomatic cases out there, it'll be spreading in the general population anyway.

Bazooka

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 15, 2020, 11:03:32 AM
Doesn't even need to be flights. If there are enough asymptomatic cases out there, it'll be spreading in the general population anyway.

Or on cargo in flights.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 15, 2020, 09:49:42 AM
New Zealand is getting sporadic drips of cases. Dunno if they are receiving new flights with infected?
Expats are dripping home now that the jobs are drying up, in AU and NZ (with the exception of the recent outbreak in an AU state) were 80%+ expats in quarantine.

BlodwynPig

UK reach the significant milestone of 666 deaths per million, a day after Moldova reached that figure in actual deaths

Cloud

I've been randomly selected for an antigen test!  Exciting times.  It'll be turning up in the next couple of weeks.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Cloud on July 18, 2020, 07:57:47 PM
I've been randomly selected for an antigen test!  Exciting times.  It'll be turning up in the next couple of weeks.
My wife has one coming up on Friday, a bit late seeing as she's a patient-facing NHS worker. (IIRC you are too?)

We suspect we had it in January, although we obviously didn't know about Covid at the time. Probably too long ago to show up in test results now if we did.

Cloud

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 18, 2020, 10:32:02 PM
My wife has one coming up on Friday, a bit late seeing as she's a patient-facing NHS worker. (IIRC you are too?)

We suspect we had it in January, although we obviously didn't know about Covid at the time. Probably too long ago to show up in test results now if we did.

Not me no, I'm a humble IT worker in the private sector.  I was chosen out of a hat by Ipsos Mori research to help get an idea of how many have it in the country. 
That is definitely late for an NHS worker!  If they had any reasoning, I'm not sure I'd understand or believe it.

Also the antigen test only shows if you have it at the time, so from January it'd be long gone.  Even the antibody test probably wouldn't pick it up as the antibodies are said to last 3 months (though T cells are apparently able to trigger antibodies very quickly if a virus is detected again)

It's of limited use to me, but for a good cause.  I'm going to try and consciously do what I would've done anyway, even though instinct is to do less to try and get a negative result.

Twonty Gostelow

Sorry, wasn't concentrating enough - it's the antibody test she's going for. As you say, it's probably too late to detect anything from January. We've both had three or four bouts of arm- and leg-muscle weakness and fatigue every few weeks since then, similar to the original symptoms but without the coughing and temperature. Might be significant and detectable (if we're not hypochondriacs).

Cloud

Yeah that sounds consistent with a few "long tailers" I've heard from.  I'm no doctor or biologist so would have no idea why... from armchair speculation and a bit of listening to Dr Campbell, it sounds like a cardiovascular virus, which is until now unheard of?

SpiderChrist

BlodwynPig

Real disconnect between perception and reality

"California in lockdown as Coronavirus cases surge"

"Spain sees coronavirus rate triple in a week"

"THOUSANDS LINE STREETS FOR JACKIE CHARLTON'S FUNERAL"

George Oscar Bluth II

Went to the pub last night and it was fine. Sat in the beer garden, they were being v strict about where people were allowed to sit so we got a massive bench and didn't have anyone come over and sit down next to us like you would normally get and the pub itself has an app! So you just order and it arrives a few minutes latter. Fucking amazing. Love the post-Covid pub, it's great.

Cuellar

Yeah, went to the pub on Friday afternoon for the first time. Place with a big beer garden, by the river. Quite busy. Absolutely no table service, no apps, no nothing. You could even go up to the bar yourself - up to a point, there was a little barrier like you get when queuing up for security at an airport, so you don't go RIGHT up to the bar staff. But then they plonk the drinks down on the bar and you have to go up and get them yourself.

You had to sanitize your hands before entering, and put your name and phone number down in a book. So I took down a few numbers and sent them some barely intelligible, sexually threatening text messages (not really). But there was no hint of a privacy policy, any info on what they were doing to keep this info safe etc. Data protection NIGHTMARE.

idunnosomename

What's stopping you writing "Bill Car, 12 King Road" anyway

Cloud

Braved the inside last night.  People were being a bit SHOUTY in the other half which is not really a good thing when it comes to viruses but we were in the quieter half which felt safe enough.  If it was still the peak it'd have felt unsafe just being in the same room as other people, but at the moment the risk levels are manageable enough that it feels okay.

They've given up on the table service as it was particularly annoying one of the staff having to be walking round and round the pub all day.  Interestingly I googled the rules and the first analysis I found said pubs must have table service indoors if possible (which it is, it's just knackering for them) and then goes on to say that going to the bar isn't forbidden.  A schrodinger's "no you can't but simultaneously yes you can" rule that is typical of our current administration!

It's fine, I'm just sick of it being the one place that still requires he handling of cash.  Literally any withdrawal of that archaic stuff now is solely for the pub.

I did wonder about the record keeping and apparently they write it down in a book behind the bar.  Not sure how they expect contact traces to find us, considering they know us only as "the computer boys".  Some of them know our first names but certainly not any contact details.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Cloud on July 26, 2020, 05:32:25 PM
It's fine, I'm just sick of it being the one place that still requires he handling of cash.  Literally any withdrawal of that archaic stuff now is solely for the pub.
Not unless Danny the  Dealer starts taking card payents it ain't ;-)

Cloud

Quote from: SpiderChrist on July 26, 2020, 07:45:29 PM
Not unless Danny the  Dealer starts taking card payents it ain't ;-)

Sorry, I meant any of my withdrawals - well aware some of the other forum users will have "other uses" ;)

Bence Fekete

'The drop in figures have stalled' says Hugh Edwards.

'The cooling of global temperatures has stalled' says Hugh Edwards.

'Everything is going to be alright has stalled' says Hugh Edwards.

BlodwynPig

I hate Huw with a passion. The worst of an abysmal bunch.