Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:06:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Run - New HBO Comedy Drama

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 13, 2020, 06:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Which is by the director of the stage version of Fleabag, Vicky Jones, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge is set to appear in later episodes. I'll never know though as I thought it was a big pile of shite, full of the kind of unrealistic dialogue you only ever get in ridiculous nonsense like this, both central characters are pretty unlikeable, and when they both had (separate) wanks in the toilets I sighed so loudly it destroyed several poorly constructed abodes that pigs live in.

But I could be wrong, and indeed often am - did anyone here like it?

Read the premise about dropping everything on a whim (including presumably partners, work and all responsibilities?) and it sounds unbearably smug navel-gazing shit.

olliebean

No. Having any interest at all in the plot seemed to depend entirely on liking and engaging with the two lead characters, so as to be able to care why they ran away from their lives, and frankly I just found them rather dull and very unrelatable. Nothing in the preview at the end made me intrigued about what is to come in future episodes, so it's off my viewing list after the first.

Bazooka

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I felt the same at first, the characters are so smug and irritating. But once they drop their guard - they're basically performing for each other initially - they become more likeable.

I'm up to episode 5 and really enjoying it so far.
Spoiler alert
It picks up considerably once it veers off into Hitchcockian comedy thriller territory in episode 3, and you do start to care about the plight of these characters
[close]

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on April 13, 2020, 06:29:24 PM
Read the premise about dropping everything on a whim (including presumably partners, work and all responsibilities?) and it sounds unbearably smug navel-gazing shit.

It's actually quite poignant. The programme explores the ramifications of doing something as stupid as that, we're not supposed to think "Wow, wouldn't it be awesome to suddenly abandon all our responsibilities!"

phantom_power

I like the two leads so will give this a good few episodes to see where it goes

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 13, 2020, 11:36:29 PM
It's actually quite poignant. The programme explores the ramifications of doing something as stupid as that, we're not supposed to think "Wow, wouldn't it be awesome to suddenly abandon all our responsibilities!"

Ah fair play, I shouldn't have assumed! The way the premise was written it brought to mind all those awful Hollywood films where bored mid-life crisisers decide to fuck off their decent lives and nice partners because "it's not what they thought their life would be like".

I too like the leads so I'll give it a watch.

olliebean

OK, but if I'm still not into it by episode 3, I'm out.

olliebean

Anyone watched episode 2? I gave it a try, but I'm still finding it really difficult to find any reason to care what happens to these two dull, selfish people.

Will try one more episode based on BoBB's assurance that it picks up and they become more likeable in episode 3.

olliebean

Nope. Still not interested in watching a couple of dull, self-pitying people, one of whom has £1200 to spare for a hotel room just to have sex in and the other of whom doesn't know what Boots is. Neither of which things has made them any more relatable, I'm afraid.

I'm done.