Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:40:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Killing Eve season 3

Started by mjwilson, April 13, 2020, 07:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjwilson

there is more of this now for some reason

Dex Sawash

I watched about half of S1E1 may watch the rest later.

chveik

Ja'moke

I'm on the recap beat for this again (my premiere recap for those interested - https://www.tvinsider.com/929822/killing-eve-season-3-episode-1-recap/).

So far, it's more of the same, which is a shame. It's a show that had such a perfect first season, it probably didn't need to do anymore. But it's popular and has two great central characters. And the characters are still great, but I just wish they'd shake up the formula a bit.

MojoJojo

Weirdly started watching Crashing last night, a Waller-Bridge sitcom from a few years ago which no one seems to have heard of.

mjwilson

Yeah I seem to remember enjoying that, from the days before Waller-Bridge was famous.

Bently Sheds

That first episode was tedious. Wacky ol' Villainelle does wacky ol' killing to an achingly hip (for Mumsnet) backing track whilst effortlessly demonstrating her skill with different accents.
Sandra Oh wears the same "I just shit meself" facial expression she's used in every previous episode. Every scene starts with crashing drums and spiky reverb guitars that fade at the exact moment someone bangs open a door or stops the engine on their moped.

Empty fucking poseur fucking shite.

Alberon

The first series was great.

The second series was good.

The third series seems to be flailing about looking for a reason to exist. On the strength of the first episode it doesn't have one yet.

mr. logic

The wedding scene was woeful.

They're really messing up the Vilanelle character. Consider her in the second episode tell the guy that she enjoys national anthems. Odd, oddly charming. Amusing that this weird psychopath could be wrapped in such an alluring package.

Then in the second series and all of sudden she's some hipster that knows Blondie songs? Well, okay. A girl that grew up in the slums of Russia training to be a killer. But...okay.

And then they make it a big funny joke that she hasn't done the research into that guy she's gone undercover to help set up. That weird Aaron Peel storyline. Because we all know Vilanelle wouldn't do a boring thing like research her target lol. Not when there's Hermes handbags to be shopping for- and coats! But...she would, wouldn't she? In fact, they have made it explicit in at least two scenes that she goes to hits with an almost unnecessary amount of information about her target. (She tells that French perfume woman that she's read her magazine interviews and quotes bits of it back; she says something similar to the businessman she kills in the lift when she's being a sexy Scottish lady)

And then her first scene in this episode. Firstly, why would she be getting married? She has money and she values freedom. Secondly, why would she make it obvious in her speech she doesn't want to be getting married? She's a master manipulator. And then the big, unfunny and nonsensical, fight and just...it's stupid. They need to get a grip on the character because she basically is the show (the rest of it is a bland as any procedural tends to be) and even Comer was phoning it in during this episode- perhaps an indicator that she has her own reservations.

olliebean

Quote from: Alberon on April 16, 2020, 11:42:49 PM
The first series was great.

The second series was good.

The third series seems to be flailing about looking for a reason to exist. On the strength of the first episode it doesn't have one yet.

So many shows that this post could describe...

MojoJojo

Major spoiler:
Spoiler alert
Oh my god, they killed Kenny! You bastards!
[close]

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Major spiller:
Spoiler alert
I was thinking of writing something on here following the above, which, in retrospect , would not be a good look at all. These lockdown times don't half leave you at a loose end sometimes, eh?
[close]

neveragain

I agree with Mr Logic. It is indeed the lack of *logic* (or character/tonal consistency) that has thrown me out of it. If it was all cartoon and silly fine but the procedural aspect is so dull and plodding... The two sides don't mesh for me, and Villanelle has lost all intrigue. Two rotten 'not really dead' series finales don't help.

Plus, to repeat, that wedding scene was shite.

Fiona Shaw and Steve Pemberton's characters should go off into a slightly tiresome but charming spin off, along the lines of 'As Time Goes By'.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Eve's former boss doesn't seem like a very good boss, does she? She doesn't seem to know what the fuck she's doing, and Steve Pemberton's had to be brought in to keep an eye on her.
This show also featured the old classic two people in a room with no-one else whatsoever , who both have the same Johnny Foreigner language in common with each other, but both elect to speak English to each other nonetheless  scene . Does the programme deserve our forgiveness for this solecism, readers ?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Oh yeah, I forgot that bloke from " The Bridge" is supposed to be Russian too,  his accent' s a bit indeterminate.

If " The Amelia Bulmore Story" is ever made, Harriet Walter's a shoo- in to play her mum.

Alberon

Episode 2 and the plot is still pootling along in an unoffensive but rather dull way.

It is worrying that the Villanelle bits are the most boring parts of the episode.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Two truly daft scenes in the third episode,the
Spoiler alert
baby in the bin
[close]
scene, and the
Spoiler alert
bus-bashing, kiss/headbutt
[close]
one.The episode ticked along nicely though, and all faithful KE viewers have long since learnt to accept  the lack of any sort of basis in reality whatsoever at this point.

And, of course,
Spoiler alert
Harriet Walter
[close]
is still
Spoiler alert
looking like Amelia Bulmore's mum
[close]

chveik

the last one was so boring I'm not sure your little review is convincing enough to go on.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: chveik on May 04, 2020, 12:38:49 AM
the last one was so boring I'm not sure your little review is convincing enough to go on.

Her Who Plays Villanelle does that Posho Southern English accent she likes doing ( you can tell) in one scene, too!
Go on, give it a go.
( No Steve Pemberton this week, mind. Not that the short scenes he's been in have been all that thrilling.)

EOLAN

The main reason to watch this for me is to see Jodie Comer modelling new outfits. My favorite is probably that fellow hospitalised boys pyjamas from season 2.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The one thing you can safely say about Her Who Plays Villanelle is that she wears a damn good pair of trousers. There aren't a lot of actresses who can pull off the " stylish trousers" look with such panache. Her convincing " Professional Piano Tuner" outfit, with the hair up in the utilitarian head scarf look she was sporting in last night's opening scene was jolly nice, too.

kitsofan34

Villanelle does an accent, Villanelle wears An Outfit, Villanelle does something "quirky". Rinse and fucking repeat. This is what happens when you renew something for two[nb]technically three, series 4 is already commissioned[/nb] series more than you should.

chveik

what's baffling about this series is that they have a new showrunner every season. it does happen that a showrunner leaves but it's not really planned.
apparently the reason is that it gives new female writers a platform which I suppose is a nice idea but it clearly doesn't work in this case.

kitsofan34

The showrunner for series 4 wrote episode 3, which was at least entertaining. This week's episode's jokes landed flat almost entirely, the only exception being "we had a perfectly pleasant conversation in the hallway".

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: kitsofan34 on May 05, 2020, 09:15:06 PM
Villanelle does an accent, Villanelle wears An Outfit, Villanelle does something "quirky". Rinse and fucking repeat. This is what happens when you renew something for two[nb]technically three, series 4 is already commissioned[/nb] series more than you should.

You forgot TriggerVillanelle pulls a face. The mortified expressions she wore for no good reason in the toy shop, whilst teddy bear shopping, were practically self-parodic.

I'll let her off though, cos she's fit as fuck.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That scene in which quirky ol' Villanelle turns up in Him From " The Bridge" 's bed in his right smart flat, and his reaction is more or less a weary " Oh, fuck off Villanelle" was moderately amusing, to be fair.

Custard

It really is just drifting aimlessly at this point, isn't it? Almost like a slightly funnier and quirky soap opera. To the point where this week it was literally "let's check in with this character! Now this one!"

Bumping off a character that has been deadwood since about 3 episodes into the first series didn't really do much to, hur hur, raise the stakes either

That said, I still find it an entertaining and likeable 42 minutes each week, and the cast are very good. It's just a shame they don't have more to work with

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ Yeah, I'd go along with that. Each scene is a little vignette of inanely scripted soapy dialogue, written to keep the none too complex plot pootling along, like that baby in the bin scene in Spain;
SCENE: NICE OLD OUTDOOR CAFE SOMEWHERE IN LOVELY OLD SPAIN
AMELIA BULMORE'S MUM ( DRINKING A BIG OLD  BOTTLE OF VODKA, ON ACCOUNT OF BEING RUSSIAN): What did you bring that baby for?
HER WHO PLAYS VILLANELLE: 'Cos I like it.
ABM: You shouldn't have shot matey boy through the head last week, the 12 weren't best chuffed with you.
HWPV: Ah, well.* BABY GURGLES* That I don't like , capricious psychopath that I am.
*AMELIA BULMORE'S MUM GETS IN A HUFF WITH THE BABY, AND WALKS ACROSS THE SQUARE, IN BROAD DAYLIGHT, IN FRONT OF LOADS OF PEOPLE, TO BUNG THE BABY IN THE BIN, IN MUCH THE SAME WAY AS HER WHO PLAYS VILLANELLE IN SERIES 2 SHOVED SOME ANNOYING NANNY WOMAN UNDER A BIG FUCK OFF TRUCK IN BROAD DAYLIGHT IN FRONT OF LOADS OF WITNESSES, ON THE CCTV CAMERA -STREWN STREETS OF LONDON. IT DOESN'T OCCUR TO ANYONE TO APPROACH AMELIA BULMORE'S MUM , AND SAY " WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE PLAYING AT, MISSUS?" TO HER. HER WHO PLAYS VILLANELLE MAKES A FACE*
ABM: Anyways, you'd better stop messing about. Here's your next mission.
* SHE HANDS HWPV A  LONDON POSTCARD WITH " GO TO LONDON " WRITTEN UPON IT*
HWPV ( WITH INTENSE EXPRESSION) : I'm not ready to go there.
ABM: Going to England is easy! All you need is Sou'wester, and to look like a cunt!
HWPV: OH , alright, I will go, then. Just need to get some decent clobber first.

I'm only just paraphrasing there. The dialogue, in juxtaposition with some outlandish events, seems pretty basic and simplistic. Eve herself has the dialogue ( and exhibits the behaviour patterns ) of a surly teenager rather than a fully grown adult former employee of British Intelligence type. No wonder her hubby ( Stephen Toast) fucked off on her.

Still, I'm going to carry on watching this show, for some reason.

neveragain

Quote from: chveik on May 05, 2020, 11:24:55 PM
what's baffling about this series is that they have a new showrunner every season. it does happen that a showrunner leaves but it's not really planned.
apparently the reason is that it gives new female writers a platform which I suppose is a nice idea but it clearly doesn't work in this case.

Surely the point of a showrunner is to instil some consistency across the series (in tone or characterisation, I'm not entirely sure of their brief) so having a different one each season is a bit daft.

Alberon

Not even watched this episode yet. There was a Traffic Police 24 Hours Interceptor Cops In Custody programme on we watched instead.

What are the books like?