Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:44:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Killing Eve season 3

Started by mjwilson, April 13, 2020, 07:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MojoJojo

Quote from: Alberon on May 06, 2020, 02:19:53 PM
What are the books like?

From reports, pretty shit. Worse than the Dexter books.

While the second series wasn't great, I think the way it ended with Eve killing someone and then getting killed was a pretty good way of finishing it off. It was a proper actual ending.

I know it's hardly a problem unique to the BBC, but it is frustrating when they drag something out past the point where it should obviously finish and it just becomes a mediocre paste. Call the Midwife comes to mind.

holyzombiejesus

It's just nosedived hasn't it. I thought it started to deteriorate about 2/3 of the way through the first series but they look like halcyon days now. It's boring too. Boring and stupid.

kitsofan34

The last ten minutes of this week's episode are really good, making up for what was otherwise rather plodding. That last scene in particular gave me goosebumps, here comes my amazing observation, everyone ready for this? Good. Jodie Comer is very, very good at acting.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ I'm guessing you're referring to episode 5 as shown on iPlayer, as opposed to the frankly ludicrous episode 4, shown in real telly time. Something to look forward to there, La Comer can really act up a storm when needs be.

kitsofan34

Yes, the
Spoiler alert
one where she goes to Russia.
[close]
Apologies for the confusion :)

Alberon

Yep, she can act. Shame she's given mostly rubbish to work with these days.

the science eel

She's got the most amazing face. I'd watch her scratching her arse and picking her nose for DAYS

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: the science eel on May 11, 2020, 11:15:26 PM
She's got the most amazing face. I'd watch her scratching her arse and picking her nose for DAYS

^  By a bizarre coincidence, these two sentences were also the opening couplet of a poem I started writing about yer woman last year ( bit of a stretch with the old scanning and  rhyming, I admit) ( you have to pronounce the word "days" like you'd pronounce the name of that freshwater fish).

chveik

I liked it. it shows that they should ditch all the england stuff. she's the only interesting thing about the series.

the science eel

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 12, 2020, 12:02:50 AM
^  By a bizarre coincidence, these two sentences were also the opening couplet of a poem I started writing about yer woman last year ( bit of a stretch with the old scanning and  rhyming, I admit) ( you have to pronounce the word "days" like you'd pronounce the name of that freshwater fish).

did you get any further with the poem?

do you think she's beautiful? I can't work it out

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^  In order to answer your. question, I 'll provide you with a further extract from my incomplete poem:

"Her Who Plays Villanelle makes faces, and accents abound/ but the "accent"s on beauty, when she's around."
( It helps to read the last line in the voice of Richard Madeley.)

El Unicornio, mang

There's been something not quite right with the show since Waller-Bridge left, but still up there with Better Call Saul as my favourite TV shows of 2020. I'd agree that maybe the London stuff only had mileage for season 1. I mostly just want to watch Jodie Comer cavorting around exotic locations and the fantastic music by Unloved tbh. The last scene in this latest episode was unexpected and incredible. Also noticed she broke the fourth wall, which I thought was unintentional as it's just a split second but possibly not?

Also, somehow didn't even notice she was in the last Star Wars film...

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

She can break my fourth wall any time she likes.
( * all the Lisafans read the above post with a lovely, warm feeling of reassurance*)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

So, can I assume after a couple of fairly directionless episodes, that Episode 5 is actually back on some kind of form, and is actually fairly compelling viewing ( I could watch it now if I so chose, but am trying to " pace" myself) ?

I was particularly irked by
Spoiler alert
Stephen Toast getting pitchforked by Amelia Bulmore's mum, in a cunning bid for Eve to think " Oooh, that blummin' Villanelle! I've just about had enough of that little madam!", as the bloke playing him was also quite a decent actor, albeit in something of a thankless part
[close]
in that last episode I watched, which I regard as one of the least satisfying episodes of the whole series.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 12, 2020, 03:49:40 PM
So, can I assume after a couple of fairly directionless episodes, that Episode 5 is actually back on some kind of form, and is actually fairly compelling viewing ( I could watch it now if I so chose, but am trying to " pace" myself) ?

I was particularly irked by
Spoiler alert
Stephen Toast getting pitchforked by Amelia Bulmore's mum, in a cunning bid for Eve to think " Oooh, that blummin' Villanelle! I've just about had enough of that little madam!", as the bloke playing him was also quite a decent actor, albeit in something of a thankless part
[close]
in that last episode I watched, which I regard as one of the least satisfying episodes of the whole series.

Definite improvement over the previous couple of episodes. I was finding the stuff with Fiona Shaw and that lot pretty dull, and yeah
Spoiler alert
that episode end just seemed like another tiresome "let's kill a main character at the end of the episode" that's been happening on shows a lot since GoT started doing it.
[close]

This is just a whole episode of Jodie Comer in Russia, plenty to enjoy.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Might have to break my " rationing" policy.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yeah, that was a decent episode , overlooking the impressive level of English that every single member of Villanelle's family ( and the woman who runs the local caff)  managed to attain while living in some pissant village in Russia, and the usual trope of Johnny Foreigners speaking a second language to each other, when they really don't need to ( that Villanelle really doesn't like speaking her native tongue, does she? One could almost run away with the idea that she isnae actually Russian at all).
Quite a touching scene between Villanelle and her mum ( " You're not a child" " I want to feel like one"), before leading to the somewhat inevitable denouement.Yes, that very last scene demonstrated just what a blummin good actress Her Who Plays Villanelle is, and I'm minded to think that split second fourth Wall break was, indeed, deliberate.
Can't say I missed Eve and her two facial expressions, and Eve's former boss still battling bravely to be smug and detached while grieving for her deceased son.

the science eel

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 17, 2020, 11:11:45 PM
Yeah, that was a decent episode , overlooking the impressive level of English that every single member of Villanelle's family...

You know what pisses me off? and this isn't exclusive to this show. It's that the non-English speakers throw in words like 'downfall', which they're unlikely to know, and then in the next sentence they're struggling to come up with the English for 'intelligence agents' which is the SAME FUCKING THING IN RUSSIAN! (more or less)

This is my TEFL background getting in the way, but seriously, these things are pretty basic and could be sorted by someone with a few years' language teaching giving the scripts the once-over.

Fr.Bigley

I like the bit where she tries to kill eve. It's clever because it's also the title.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on May 17, 2020, 11:59:17 PM
I like the bit where she tries to kill eve. It's clever because it's also the title.

She's only ever properly tried to kill her in one episode though, and even then she fucked it up by just shooting her once, then walking off in the huff,  not even bothering to check she'd done a proper killing. Rubbish.Should have a different title , like " Villanelle, The Smashing, Lovely Assassin", or something.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 18, 2020, 12:06:19 AM
She's only ever properly tried to kill her in one episode though, and even then she fucked it up by just shooting her once, then walking off in the huff,  not even bothering to check she'd done a proper killing. Rubbish.Should have a different title , like " Villanelle, The Smashing, Lovely Assassin", or something.

Actually, She's tried to kill her twice, to be fair. Always at the end of the series. Maybe she'll manage it at the end of this series, third time lucky , and all that. Then the fourth series could carry on without Eve, in a kind of " Taggart" deal.
An important post there, I'm not just trying to keep this thread at the top of the page, or owt.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Alas, after all the excitement of Villanelle and her impressively proficient in English Russian family ( and local caff owner ) in the previous episode, we were back to the humdrum standard of the current series with this 'un . ( halfway through writing the following sentence, it occured to me that maybe I should have spoilered the info, so don't read on if you havenae actually seen this episode) Regular readers will see what I mean about the thankless role that Stephen Toast plays in this series, as his part seems to have been reduced to a Father Jack- like level, with even less lines ( although the line he *did* have, typed out all Hawkinglike, was quite amusing. Poor old Stephen Toast, he's the most long- suffering telly husband since George Roper, although it was jolly nice of Eve to ship him all the way from Poland to a top posh, expensive hospital in London. Maybe she paid for Toastie's dad to come over too, although he didn't seem all that grateful ).
Villanelle did her trademark looking fit as fuck making a grand, shouty entrance when meeting Konstantin, you'd think he'd have told her to email in advance by now,he must be well hacked off with her, and there was the trademark Russkie types speaking in English to each other ( Konstantin and his daughter) , when it's not really called for. As the enthralling plot of this series develops, we learn that Villanelle is not best chuffed with her role as a "keeper" ( if I was involved in some kind of relationship with her, I'd regard her as a " keeper" right enough!!), as it just seems to involve her doing exactly the same stuff as before, being handed a postcard with " go there, missus" written  on it, so now she wants to fuck off with Konstantin and his daughter, or something.
Steve Pemberton got given  slightly more to do this week, and the humorous highlight was the messing about with the traditional, trademark location captions ( " NOT CUBA" ).
I still can't bring myself to be remotely arsed with Fiona Shaw's character. Are there any KE viewers out there, sat on the edge of their seats thinking " Gosh, I hope Fiona Shaw's character is going to stop being emotionally distant, and start having a decent relationship with her daughter, I'd even forego another scene of Villanelle with her hair down and wearing some smashing, stylish trousers, and doing one of her trademark faces, for that." ?

Well, that's my capsule review for this week's episode ( with some trademark Lisaisms! 😉), I hope you liked it.

Alberon

This series is less Killing Eve and more Killing This Show.

It's fucking boring!

the science eel

It's Jodie, tho'. She's a one-woman firework display and you have to love her.

I want to see what she does next. I hope she doesn't get sucked into all the Hollywood bullshit.

kitsofan34

Quote from: the science eel on May 25, 2020, 04:03:01 PM
It's Jodie, tho'. She's a one-woman firework display and you have to love her.

I want to see what she does next. I hope she doesn't get sucked into all the Hollywood bullshit.

Her next two films are

this monstrosity, and a Ridley Scott film.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

In the first of the  abovementioned films , she gets to use her Posho Home Counties accent which she likes doing ( you can tell), and indulge in some Villanelle- like gun- toting thrills and spills. The Ridley Scott film is scripted by Matt Damon, Ben Afleck and a gentleman, and is set in Medieval France, giving all you Her Who Plays Villanelle fans a chance to hear her Medieval French accent.

Given the Science Eel's last post, I'm sure the boys and girls of CaB are all breathing a sigh of relief that I wisely decided against writing a follow- up post utilising a play on the word " banger" ( in reference to the term relating to fireworks, rather than a sausage, an aged, unreliable car, or that city in Wales, if misspelt).

Alberon

Brian Freeze

His tache isnt real you know.

He was being interviewed by someone on the radio a few weeks ago and described it taking about an hour and a half a day to apply the moustache only to get asked the very next question if it was a real one.

An hour and a half a day for such little end product,  and no fault of his either. A real waste of everyones time. Great makeup skills being the only winner.

Dex Sawash

Report from series 1, Villainelle with fake beard made me have very strange feelings.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 26, 2020, 04:09:46 AM
Report from series 1, Villainelle with fake beard made me have very strange feelings.

Ah, the golden era of series 1, with the much more fixed routine of Villers being based in Paris, and Konstantin dropping round to say " here's who you've got to kill now, Missy" before handing over the all- important postcard, they really were great days ( orbviously things got a bit more convoluted, when she ended up in Priz in Moscow, and that). She still did the old face- making in that, but I'm wondering if it was quite as excessive as in the current series. May have to give Se01 a rewatch.