Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:17:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What is point roast?

Started by touchingcloth, April 13, 2020, 11:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Getting all your mates in a big room to call you a cunt. Sounds like a great idea...NOT!!

Replies From View

That's not what a roast is.

A roast is when you have a life-sized marinated pig on a skewer above a flame and everyone squabbles over who's going to eat the snout.

chveik

yep it's idiotic and unfunny. that Larry Sanders episode is spot on.

Twit 2

After Norm McDonald's legendary Bob Saget roast I don't see how anyone could do a normal one again:

https://youtu.be/L-9wo_apQ1s

(Btw the near imperceptible micro-nod at 1:04 is an example of why he is a genuine comic genius)

Sin Agog

Annie Labuntur

"Taylor Wiener's here tonight... [smattering of applause and close-up of Taylor Wiener's rictus grin]  Seriously, who are you? You look like Michael Jackson and Verne Troyer's baby with Down's Syndrome!" [half of the dais slides out of their chairs in hysterics]

The James Franco one at least sporadically bucked the trend. Andy Samberg was probably inspired by Norm's anti-roast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K83zdXu2xrw

EOLAN

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on April 14, 2020, 12:59:26 AM
"Taylor Wiener's here tonight... [smattering of applause and close-up of Taylor Wiener's rictus grin]  Seriously, who are you? You look like Michael Jackson and Verne Troyer's baby with Down's Syndrome!" [half of the dais slides out of their chairs in hysterics]

The James Franco one at least sporadically bucked the trend. Andy Samberg was probably inspired by Norm's anti-roast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K83zdXu2xrw

Azis Ansari's reaction to Samberg's roast of him just makes me feel like he would be the worse person to sit next to during a good comedy set in a theater. Constantly banging his hand down  on the hand-rest. Unless he was acting up of course.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: EOLAN on April 14, 2020, 01:20:14 AM
Azis Ansari's reaction to Samberg's roast of him just makes me feel like he would be the worse person to sit next to during a good comedy set in a theater. Constantly banging his hand down  on the hand-rest.
It's the other hand putting two fingers down your throat you need to concentrate on.  https://babe.net/2018/01/13/aziz-ansari-28355

Ferris

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 14, 2020, 12:08:42 AM
After Norm McDonald's legendary Bob Saget roast I don't see how anyone could do a normal one again:

(Btw the near imperceptible micro-nod at 1:04 is an example of why he is a genuine comic genius)

It's the Watchmen of roasts.

Sebastian Cobb

Anyone seen the British Comedy Central one where they get a load of people on the Avalon books who aren't yet well known enough to go on the other quizzes to uncomfortably make jokes about appearance and their privilege in front of Catherine Ryan and Jimmy Carr?

I wouldn't normally bother but someone put it on when I was very hungover at a friend's.

Gregory Torso

One of my favourite videos. Watched it hundreds of times and never fails to make me laugh.

Really no one should even bother trying to be funny if Norm is in the room.

I love how somewhere around the 2 minute mark everyone seems to realise what he's doing.

Gregory Torso

^ That's a different edit to the one I've watched before. It doesn't have the Rin Tin Tin joke which I think is the best one.

alan nagsworth

"I want a well-documented filming of other famous people talking about me, how do I make it look like I'm not a narcissistic prick? Oh yeah I'll get them to say negative stuff for a laugh"

s4c

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 14, 2020, 11:41:53 AM
"I want a well-documented filming of other famous people talking about me, how do I make it look like I'm not a narcissistic prick? Oh yeah I'll get them to say negative stuff for a laugh"

s4c

Which is why the comedy central one is weird because hardly anyone will know who the acts are.

Occasionally they turn it on the hosts, but that usually just means shouting 'taxes' at Carr or 'surgery, battered face!!!' at either Carr or Ryan.

bgmnts

I don't get why the Norm McDonald thing is so genius, is it because the jokes are purposefully shit?

Wasn't his SNL bit just doing crap gags?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: bgmnts on April 14, 2020, 12:11:30 PM
I don't get why the Norm McDonald thing is so genius, is it because the jokes are purposefully shit?

Yeah, in a nutshell, he's lambasting the wanky concept of a roast by deliberately bombing. I've only just started getting into Norm and I love this video.

Pink Gregory

Fuelling one's own ego by inviting friends and colleagues to insult you with your most obvious traits with your tacit approval.

2/10 avoid

Icehaven

Aren't they just an inside out version of This Is Your Life? Or did This Is Your Life start after someone suggested doing a roast but without the mean jokes?

Hannibal Buress saw the Justin Bieber roast for exactly what it was:

"They say that you roast the ones you love, but I don't like you at all, man. I'm just here because it's a real good opportunity for me," Buress deadpanned during the taping. "Actually you should thank me for participating in this extremely transparent attempt to be more likable in the public eye. And I hope it doesn't work."

BeardFaceMan

Roasts have taken a bit of a turn. It should be about ribbing your friends, not saying the cuntiest you can think of to a complete stranger. You see roasts now and the person being roasted probably knows 2 people on the dais, all the rest are hack comedians. The comedians doing it now who don't know the roastee are clearly doing it to be as unpleasant to that person as possible. there's no love there, there's not even any 'like' there so the whole thing has a very nasty atmosphere. I gave up watching that US Roast Battle series because they're completely shit, they miss the point entirely and think it's just about being as offensive as possible. So you just get jokes that reference rape, cancer, sexual assault, race etc, which have nothing to do with the person they are battling. Awful, tedious, edge-lord stuff.

Sebastian Cobb

In America, they've taken the roast format to prisons and have some gobshite called Jeff Ross over to berate the inmates.
http://www.cc.com/shows/jeff-ross--roasts-criminals/video-guide

It's stuff like this that eventually led to Running Man isn't it?

thenoise

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 14, 2020, 09:25:26 AM
Anyone seen the British Comedy Central one where they get a load of people on the Avalon books who aren't yet well known enough to go on the other quizzes to uncomfortably make jokes about appearance and their privilege in front of Catherine Ryan and Jimmy Carr?

I wouldn't normally bother but someone put it on when I was very hungover at a friend's.

I saw the Brucie one, was fucking shit. A load of non-shocking remarks about how old he is and how young his wife is (sure he was gutted about that), followed by a whole load of arse licking about what a jolly good sport he is. Jimmy Carr less of a cunt he is when he's not deliberately being a cunt. The other cunts even less so. Dated bollocks leave it to the yanks.

mr. logic

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on April 14, 2020, 12:59:26 AM

Honestly, what a bunch of insufferably smug and unfunny cunts.

mr. logic

Quote from: bgmnts on April 14, 2020, 12:11:30 PM

Wasn't his SNL bit just doing crap gags?

He says himself that he doesn't really get why it's as lauded as it is. His argument is that they told him to be shocking, and he took the word literally, choosing to do the least expected thing at a roast imaginable.

There's also a clip of him hosting a YouTube award show or something. He gets Jeff Ross up and is just dripping with contempt about the roast concept.

Hand Solo

Didn't Carr participate in a Channel4 roast of Jimmy Savile? I seem to recall it wasn't a full roast with a dais of people, but Savile laid back smugly on a sort of dentist's/psychiatrist chair smoking a cigar while Carr reeled off a load of lines about him and of course finishing it off with what a 'LEDGE' he was. It was bizarre.

C_Larence

There's an even better one at 3:30. The Samberg video posted underneath doesn't come close to that because he isn't confident enough to make bad jokes he has to call attention to the fact they were bad, it's a very SNL thing.

I remember hearing that Chevy Chase's roast is a sad one because people genuinely hate him and he doesn't have any friends, so it's just a bunch of people he's never met telling him he sucks.

beanheadmcginty

The thing that puts me off is I have a completely irrational hatred of the word dais.