Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:46:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fucking HELL I'm fed up: How are YOU doing?

Started by Blue Jam, April 14, 2020, 12:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: good times on April 26, 2020, 12:33:34 PMSick of eating the same food and thick cunts in supermarkets.

The reduced section at my local Tesco Metro always has loads of Tesco Finest ready meals, got a freezer full of 'em and I'm fucking sick of them already.

Doing lots of proper cooking at the weekends though, mainly to remind myself that it's actually the weekend. Going to do some slow-roast pork today, if going to the big Tesco doesn't send me into a homicidal rage.

Was drinking like every day was a Saturday but that phase has now passed. Not drinking much midweek now the novelty has worn off.

Might go and give blood next week- it's something to do innit?

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 26, 2020, 02:38:42 AM
Found a relatively simple way to play baseball as 2 player tabletop RPG. Happy as a pig in shit.

Figured out a way to model individual player seasons via tinkering with the random outcomes. My lineup of all 1957 Ted Williamses destroyed my all Tony Gwynn '94 side.

I've got the spreadsheets out, mucking around with SLG percentages and ERA formulas (they are quasi interdependent). I bet I could statistically clone a full team of historical position players + pitching staff.

Delighted.

greencalx

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 26, 2020, 02:01:55 PM
I'm being paid 100% of my salary to do fuck-all but I am also worried that I'll be getting paid fuck-all to do fuck-all when my contract ends, because by that time there will be no jobs for any life scientists who aren't virologists.

Fair dos. Job security, to the extent that anyone had it before this crisis, is going to be pretty thin on the ground all round once it's over.

Rizla

Meant to be renovating our new place but the amount of 'vid-based obstacles in the way is getting tedious. "Sheridan"*, the countertop suppliers, aren't operating, and I can't move the kitchen on til they've been, so all the IKEA shit's just sitting in boxes getting in the way. Been waiting over a week for a trivial but essential piece of offset soil pipe that's similarly holding up progress on the bathroom.

*I amuse myself by imagining that "Sheridan" isn't a company, or even a person, but is in fact S.H.E.R.I.D.A.N, which stands for Super High Efficiency Robotic Installation Device ANdroid and he looks like this feller -

and goes all haywire in my kitchen, installing ceramic countertop on my face and hands or something. Fucking bored.

Cloud

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 26, 2020, 02:07:49 PM
Might go and give blood next week- it's something to do innit?

You can do that?

Wouldn't they need to test the blood for the 'vid, in which case this brings up an interesting incentive to give blood - especially if an antibody test is developed.

non capisco

I've been having a lot of emotionally intense dreams with repetitive themes involving me either letting people down or weird home invasion dreams where I get up in the morning and there's a bunch of strange, haggard looking people sitting in my living room refusing to leave. The former type is fairly obvious to parse, I'm feeling frustrated at not being able to help out with an ailing parent and there's a feeling of guilt there even though there's nothing I can do to change the situation. No idea about these weird intruder type dreams. (I wish they were as funny as that recent Limmy sketch before anyone starts with that one). They're fucking horrible, I'm shouting "GET OUT!" until I'm hoarse and there's all these wizened fuckers sat on my furniture just grinning at me.

Apart from that fine, I guess. Basically icehaven's post almost to the letter apart from the bit about being in a band, and in my case I think I'm the annoying neighbour because it emerges the new people downstairs do not like me singing.

the

Quote from: non capisco on April 26, 2020, 08:53:40 PMI've been having a lot of emotionally intense dreams with repetitive themes involving me either letting people down or weird home invasion dreams where I get up in the morning and there's a bunch of strange, haggard looking people sitting in my living room refusing to leave. The former type is fairly obvious to parse, I'm feeling frustrated at not being able to help out with an ailing parent and there's a feeling of guilt there even though there's nothing I can do to change the situation. No idea about these weird intruder type dreams. (I wish they were as funny as that recent Limmy sketch before anyone starts with that one). They're fucking horrible, I'm shouting "GET OUT!" until I'm hoarse and there's all these wizened fuckers sat on my furniture just grinning at me.

The invader dreams are about your feelings of helplessness about the current situation and the imposition of it all.

£50 please

non capisco

Oooh, I thought it was that! I was going to say that! Kicking myself now!

kngen

My neighbour's kid had a birthday. Could well have been her 18th. So her friends all drove up to her house, beeping their horns until she came outside, astonished and agog - and then they serenaded her with a special birthday song they had written for her. Then they all congregated at a respectful distance for 30 mins or so until it was time to leave, and she waved goodbye to them all, a little teary, while the rest of our street looked on, shouting felicitations to her, too, and generally being the very embodiment of community ....

Apart from me, who found the whole thing incredibly irritating, particularly as I was out in the garden anyway, and all the racket stopped me from enjoying the previous night's Clyde 1 Superscoreboard (Billy fae Brigton was going fucking MENTAL!), so I started drinking not long after.

Aye. Murdering the family soon. And the neighbours. It's in the post.

Sebastian Cobb

Clyde 1 would make me murderous as the best of times.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Cloud on April 26, 2020, 07:12:07 PM
You can do that?

Wouldn't they need to test the blood for the 'vid, in which case this brings up an interesting incentive to give blood - especially if an antibody test is developed.

I don't know about testing, but blood donations are needed as much as ever, and giving blood is "classed as an essential activity":

https://www.scotblood.co.uk/news/covid-19-advice-for-donors/

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: shiftwork2 on April 25, 2020, 08:10:04 PM
Zoe Ball - quite thick, very energised - opening up a rib cage with a circular saw with a big smile, before tipping the organs into a yellow bucket.

"Zoe, love? Remember, it's organs in the orange bucket, pacemakers and artificial hips in the yellow bucket..."
FFS.  Third time this morning.

bgmnts

They test blood you donate anyway. They just jam donated blood into the hungry veins of the nearest dying kid.

NoOffenceLynn

Quote from: non capisco on April 26, 2020, 08:53:40 PM
I've been having a lot of emotionally intense dreams with repetitive themes involving me either letting people down or weird home invasion dreams where I get up in the morning and there's a bunch of strange, haggard looking people sitting in my living room refusing to leave. The former type is fairly obvious to parse, I'm feeling frustrated at not being able to help out with an ailing parent and there's a feeling of guilt there even though there's nothing I can do to change the situation. No idea about these weird intruder type dreams. (I wish they were as funny as that recent Limmy sketch before anyone starts with that one). They're fucking horrible, I'm shouting "GET OUT!" until I'm hoarse and there's all these wizened fuckers sat on my furniture just grinning at me.

Apart from that fine, I guess. Basically icehaven's post almost to the letter apart from the bit about being in a band, and in my case I think I'm the annoying neighbour because it emerges the new people downstairs do not like me singing.
You're not alone in the freaky dreams, l had some myself as have a few other people I know, apparently it's very common at the moment.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-52354371/coronavirus-dreams-why-are-people-having-lockdown-nightmares

jobotic

I've had two involving my daughter being very badly hurt in bizarre ways and I've been beside myself with terror beofre saying "hang on, this is a dream" and waking myself up.

Had a long one this morning that ended up with me, Ned Sherrin* and John Simpson* singing Back In Judy's Jungle by Brian Eno to an empty theatre.

*type figures

Jasha

Day 1 of being furloughed, still woke up at 5am even without the alarm. Bored by lunchtime. Bit nervous about actually getting paid and also the briefest of mentions that"as this is a new scheme we don't know how this will affect pension payments and lieu day provision. New bike's here so might go out for a walk ride along the canal.

Pingers

Generally can't settle, probably due to the Lurking Fears. The sense that something is very wrong always at the edge of my mind, and not knowing when or if I'll see my mum and dad again.

Ferris

Great news! We had a powercut, and it seems like the surge blew our router.

Just lucked my way into a long weekend, no strings attached.

Blue Jam

Had a nice weekend. Did lots of cooking, made some nice bread and got the flat nice and clean. Felt good and productive.

Done fuck-all today though. Feel totally wiped out and today has just been sleeping, Netflix and Duolingo. Feeling pretty guilty about it for some reason. Hope I can find the energy to get off my arse tomorrow.

Looking forward to a picnic on the 28th though! How are you all coping now?

flotemysost

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 18, 2020, 10:04:34 PM
Done fuck-all today though. Feel totally wiped out and today has just been sleeping, Netflix and Duolingo.

Sounds like a day well spent tbf. I've been really shit at learning any of the languages I'd planned on brushing up on and I've even paid for an online course ffs (though it was massively reduced as part of a TimeOut offer, and having started it I can sort of see why).

Something I keep reminding myself, which may or may not be helpful to anyone else, is that even if everyone else actually is filling their every waking hour with wholesome, productive, creative, enriching activities (which I really doubt, despite what the rose-tinted lens of Instagram etc. would have you believe) - well, that's great for them, but we're still in this situation because of a pandemic, no one planned for it, it's not like everyone was granted a holiday to go and better themselves and do hobbies etc.

If people can find the time/energy to do that stuff, that's wonderful (and I genuinely mean that, not being sarcastic), but if not, well, we're in a shitty scary situation and remaining under the duvet all day is a very very understandable reaction.

Sebastian Cobb

This weekend was a bit of a blur. I didn't go mental or anything, but I wasted Saturday afternoon titting about on the internet then drank a bit too much and felt a bit anxious Sunday until I got bored and had an afternoon nap.

kittens

got word from work that my furlough has been extended until august. another 2 and a half months of heaven. couldn't be more pleased

Uncle TechTip

Use the time productively as you're bound to get made redundant in August.

Duckula

My work has been busier than ever during this, between that and the prospect of no escape or holiday things are grim as fuck.

chveik

I've been running in the sun like a fucking madman. absolute bliss

Blue Jam

Not had a good couple of days. Not been furloughed because I'm officially working from home but this week I've had fuck-all to do. I've actually got a load of stuff to do back at the lab, and once I get the go-ahead to go back in I'm going to have a huge backlog to work through. For now it's just the occasional Zoom meeting where it becomes clear how much werk I'll have to get through and how little help I'll have with it.

Feeling pretty useless too with regards to not doing anything to help out during the pandemic. I volunteered to do Covid-19 testing but out of 1,000 volunteers only 25 were needed in the end.

Trying to resist the 15 strong Belgian beers staring at me.

Sebastian Cobb

Quite like working from home but work has qa tested a load of visor designs and needed people to go in and assemble them, but there's been a delay so they're holding off this week. I was kind of looking forward to doing something helpful and seeing people. All my face to face interaction has been with the lad in the corner shop and a brief bit of film chat initiated by the bloke in the tesco garage.

Blue Jam

On Friday I noticed a faint but really nasty smell wafting up from behind the fridge. Thanks to the brilliant kitchen design our landlady chose the fridge is wedged in really tightly and can't be lifted out and the only way we could take a good look behind it would be to partially dismantle the kitchen unit which houses it.

We realised the two most likely scenarios: 1. We need to give the back of the fridge a good clean and the smell won't go away until we do, and 2. A mouse has died behind it and the smell will dissipate once it decomposes/gets eaten by other mice.

The smell got stronger over the weekend and started to make us feel genuinely quite ill. This morning it had completely gone. Scenario 2 it was then. Looks like we spent the weekend inhaling a decomposing mouse. Not a nice thing to be locked down with but actually preferable to Scenario 1. RIP little Dominic, for that's what we have named the little bastard.

Had a good weekend otherwise. Had some nice Belgian beers plus some nice Scottish beers because we're supporting our local brewers. Continued our lockdown routine of having a proper roast dinner every Sunday, mainly so we actually remember what day of the week it is. Watched a Bond film and a load of Men Behaving Badly. Feeling good now because I've actually got a little writing project to do. Lockdown being eased in Scotchland on Thursday which means we'll be able to have a picnic, so I'm planning that and  it's nice to have little treat to look forward to. It's all good.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 20, 2020, 05:03:51 PM
Quite like working from home but work has qa tested a load of visor designs and needed people to go in and assemble them, but there's been a delay so they're holding off this week. I was kind of looking forward to doing something helpful and seeing people. All my face to face interaction has been with the lad in the corner shop and a brief bit of film chat initiated by the bloke in the tesco garage.

I know what you mean, I haven't spoken to anyone in person since 20th March aside from the staff in my local pharmacy and grocery shop. Feel like I'm losing my mind a bit, its great living on my own but the lack of in-person interaction is leaving me alone with my thoughts a lot. I do speak to people by phone and Zoom and text, but still. I have a few spiders to keep my company and watch the birds on the lawn, but still.

Zetetic

Rapidly switching between angry and depressed this week.