Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:04:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fucking HELL I'm fed up: How are YOU doing?

Started by Blue Jam, April 14, 2020, 12:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

I felt bizarrely glum about there being no Starbucks the other day. Then I went out for a walk and found they'd reopened!

Didn't have one though because they're rubbish.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on May 28, 2020, 11:27:13 AM
Rapidly switching between angry and depressed this week.

I promise when this is all over I'll come visit you in Cardiff.

How does that make you feel?

Abnormal Palm

The omnipresence of death has really cut through my ennui. I just plan to keep doing my thing, have a nice time with my wife and cats, catch up with my mates on the phone, play some games, watch movies, dance around and sing along to some tunes, drink some good beers and cook nice dinners, and feel very alive.

Whatever happens 'on the other side', I've seen once and for all the stupidity and callousness of my fellow citizens and I no longer care what happens to them. I expect it from the government, I expect it from our corporate taskmasters, I just didn't expect how many amoebae are slavishly nursing on the teat of NORMALCY.

Too bad this is only the beginning 😂😂😂

Blue Jam

As expected The Sturge has declared that we can now go for a picnic without risking arrest. Mr Jam and I both have werk stuff to get on with today so the plan now is to head to The Meadows with our picnic basket full of booze and posh cheese tomorrow.

Problem is I imagine every bugger in Embra has had the same idea and we might have to find another picnic spot if we can't stay 2m from the nearest quiche:

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 28, 2020, 01:55:58 PM
As expected The Sturge has declared that we can now go for a picnic without risking arrest. Mr Jam and I both have werk stuff to get on with today so the plan now is to head to The Meadows with our picnic basket full of booze and posh cheese tomorrow.

Problem is I imagine every bugger in Embra has had the same idea and we might have to find another picnic spot if we can't stay 2m from the nearest quiche:

you become the plague itself!

poor nature, just as it was getting used to some tranquility. VROOOOOOOOOM. FUCK TRANSPORT

Zetetic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 28, 2020, 11:38:46 AM
I promise when this is all over I'll come visit you in Cardiff.

How does that make you feel?
A bit better. A bit.

But I'll be dead, having been unable to fully commit to accelerationism, and you'll be dead, attrition from the forced fruit-picking.

mr. logic

Blue Jam, why 'werk' instead of 'work'? Is that a Scotland thing?

the

All these lovely pub garden evenings going to waste  :*(

I'd go and sit there with a few beers anyway if there was somewhere to have the inevitable slash.

Blue Jam

Quote from: mr. logic on May 28, 2020, 04:23:00 PM

Scouse thing. Also a drag thing. I can't help but read the Werk Room sign in Scouse:

Had a Zoom meeting earlier today. Been informed that my department at werk has now been renamed to reflect the Covid-19 research going on there and is now called Covidtropolis or Covidstopia or something. As a mere neuroscientist doing dementia research I am totally going to get lorded over by all the ACE and HEROIC lifesavers in there.

Blue Jam

Lots of people in The Meadows today. Flocks of hungry cuntbeaks are circling ominously. Think they need a bit of Wagner to scare the hell out of the picnic peeps.

homesickalien

Pretty depressed now. Here in Wales lockdown's been the same since March. Mark Drakeford said welsh people dont envy the English with their easing of the lockdown but I totally disagree.  I love driving round on random road trips, visiting parks and beauty spots and if I do any of that I can still be fined (and usually shamed in the local press) unlike England 12 miles away from where I live. After 9 weeks I'm sick of it. There's a Welsh govt announcement tomorrow but apparently any easing will be very limited and...great only start from Monday.  Sick of so much anti-English day tripper stories in the press too. Read a story today of a visitor's car parked near Snowdon that had screws left under the tyres so a blowout would ensue when the visitor drove off (it was parked on a steep hill so could have been really bad). Such a welcoming country

BlodwynPig

Quote from: homesickalien on May 28, 2020, 07:21:05 PM
Pretty depressed now. Here in Wales lockdown's been the same since March. Mark Drakeford said welsh people dont envy the English with their easing of the lockdown but I totally disagree.  I love driving round on random road trips, visiting parks and beauty spots and if I do any of that I can still be fined (and usually shamed in the local press) unlike England 12 miles away from where I live. After 9 weeks I'm sick of it. There's a Welsh govt announcement tomorrow but apparently any easing will be very limited and...great only start from Monday.  Sick of so much anti-English day tripper stories in the press too. Read a story today of a visitor's car parked near Snowdon that had screws left under the tyres so a blowout would ensue when the visitor drove off (it was parked on a steep hill so could have been really bad). Such a welcoming country

At least your not on a ventilator gasping for molecules of oxygen as your lungs fill with CO2 and death.

An army of covid-wracked English daytrippers are gathering at the border just waiting to swamp your puny Welsh healthcare system the minute you ease that lockdown.

Sebastian Cobb

Boss organised a one-to-one and I got really paranoid 'cos one of the questions are 'do you have any problems with other staff?' and me and another colleague have been having some philosophical differences of opinion on how we do work all over work chat and code-reviews.

Turns out my boss had lifted the questions off of the internet, we're grown ups, and nobody thinks it's personal.

I usually get worried I've been 'rumbled' during any one-to-one or personal review more down to knowing what I get up to, or don't,  rather than genuine imposter syndrome, though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAt least you're not on a ventilator gasping for molecules of oxygen as your lungs fill with CO2 and death.

Luxury

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 28, 2020, 08:03:00 PM
Boss organised a one-to-one and I got really paranoid 'cos one of the questions are 'do you have any problems with other staff?' and me and another colleague have been having some philosophical differences of opinion on how we do work all over work chat and code-reviews.

Turns out my boss had lifted the questions off of the internet, we're grown ups, and nobody thinks it's personal.

I usually get worried I've been 'rumbled' during any one-to-one or personal review more down to knowing what I get up to, or don't,  rather than genuine imposter syndrome, though.

As someone who has to deliver them regularly, I am similarly worried that the person I am giving them to will rumble me as not giving a shit or doing any preparation. See also: hiring interviews.

Sebastian Cobb

Ha yes, I've been asked to sit on interviews before and felt just as clueless as an interviewer as an interviewee.

Also kind of amazed at how some people will fill their time with whinging about their current job or something despite it being pretty obvious that's not a good idea unless you can twist it into a succinct load of trite bollocks about them clipping your wings, even then it's probably more indicative of your ability to 'play the game' and 'read the crowd' over anything else.

I would have to say, I would make you feel at ease ferris, as if I had done any preparation at all, my notes would be on the back of an envelope in biro rather than filled in and labelled in the shared document.

Ferris

What I actually do is highlight bits of CVs at random, and scribble things on it (+ sticky notes). This gives the appearance of huge amounts of analysis and work when I've usually done it in the 3 minutes prior to the interview. The people I'm with go "ooh he must know what he's doing" and don't bother checking to find out. This is management in a nutshell, I have discovered.

Typically if you are halfway competent and have some experience, you'll be fine. I'm mainly interviewing for personality and fit and that's just having a chat and I'm quite good at rooting out wrong 'uns that way with no prep required.

What type of silly bollocks would slag off their old workplace in an interview? I've had it once or twice and it boggles the mind. Mind you I've interviewed some beauts in my time, including one who said they weren't really interested in the job or the industry but our (former) HR person tried to headhunt them on LinkedIn for their own mad reason.

Sebastian Cobb

I basically wing all this bollocks as well and it is all bollocks. I don't even feel guilty, apart from when I realise there are disadvantaged people struggling to get to the point several rungs down below us idiots winging it, at least I'll get out of their way as they rightfully pass me.

If only I were better at writing I could drop the presenteeism and wank out thinkpieces in the guardian about how unfair it is.

mr. logic

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 28, 2020, 08:57:30 PM
What I actually do is highlight bits of CVs at random, and scribble things on it (+ sticky notes). This gives the appearance of huge amounts of analysis and work when I've usually done it in the 3 minutes prior to the interview. The people I'm with go "ooh he must know what he's doing" and don't bother checking to find out. This is management in a nutshell, I have discovered.

Typically if you are halfway competent and have some experience, you'll be fine. I'm mainly interviewing for personality and fit and that's just having a chat and I'm quite good at rooting out wrong 'uns that way with no prep required.

What type of silly bollocks would slag off their old workplace in an interview? I've had it once or twice and it boggles the mind. Mind you I've interviewed some beauts in my time, including one who said they weren't really interested in the job or the industry but our (former) HR person tried to headhunt them on LinkedIn for their own mad reason.

Is the logic not that you're leaving that place for a reason, and it's better their fault than yours?

Ferris

I feel no guilt because I'm happy to mug off my employers for my salary while doing as little as possible. I consider it payback for expecting everyone to work absurd hours.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 28, 2020, 09:47:55 PM
I feel no guilt because I'm happy to mug off my employers for my salary while doing as little as possible. I consider it payback for expecting everyone to work absurd hours.

I know that feeling. In a place I stayed too long in I honestly reckon I was down to a literal couple of hours of genuine work a week and the rest of the time making the occasional vague commitment to deliver something, it went like that for a while and nobody noticed either.

It was during a bout of late 20's listlessness and hedonism so I don't regret it at all but I'm glad I left and have, well not ambition exactly, but feel compelled to do work because I find it slightly interesting and it's more interesting than pretending to work.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 28, 2020, 09:57:16 PM
I know that feeling. In a place I stayed too long in I honestly reckon I was down to a literal couple of hours of genuine work a week and the rest of the time making the occasional vague commitment to deliver something, it went like that for a while and nobody noticed either.

It was during a bout of late 20's listlessness and hedonism so I don't regret it at all but I'm glad I left and have, well not ambition exactly, but feel compelled to do work because I find it slightly interesting and it's more interesting than pretending to work.

Yeah the compulsion to do something interesting that I actually care about has reared it's ugly head, and we've saved up what we need from this place so no need to do it any longer. I think it's easy to get trapped doing something forever because it's what you've always done but you only get one go round and the older I become, the madder it seems to waste my life doing something I actively dislike for money I don't need.*

*i mean, I always need money but you get my point

Sebastian Cobb

Balancing act innit, dip in and out as life gets in the way I reckon.

homesickalien

Just wanted to mention of course you are right Blodwynpig (obviously) and I was only having a pathetic rant and I know its extension of lockdown is likely a very good thing. I do love Wales but like anything you love things get to you.

Its very weird working and living near the border at the moment knowing the freedoms are very different just a few miles away across an invisible line. 

About a third of staff where I work live in England and its strange chatting to them about their weekend plans to sunbathe, have picnics and drive places when we cant do that. 

Its the first time in 100s of years Wales has diverged so much from England apparently

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 28, 2020, 10:33:36 PM
Balancing act innit, dip in and out as life gets in the way I reckon.

Completely agree

seepage

Quote from: mr. logic on May 28, 2020, 04:23:00 PM

I assumed it was a German thing.

Gulftastic

6 weeks into my NHS mandated isolation and yes, it's beginning to get me down. I'm working from home but yesterday was my day off. I went back to bed twice during the day. That's a sure sign I'm struggling.

Ferris

Wife formally asked for a work transfer to our intended new city, once she gets the nod I'll ask my job (both our firms have offices there) and if they say no to me, I'll resign and take great pleasure doing it.

All happening, lads! Exciting.