Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:57:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fucking HELL I'm fed up: How are YOU doing?

Started by Blue Jam, April 14, 2020, 12:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Enjoy your threading code mate

This is you: Ooooh I'm going to create an interface called IValueSetter because then it's testable in case I ever decide to write a unit test in my life ever

Consignia

I seem to have made a wrong turn into r/programmerhumour ;

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on July 05, 2020, 08:25:59 PM
Enjoy your threading code mate

This is you: Ooooh I'm going to create an interface called IValueSetter because then it's testable in case I ever decide to write a unit test in my life ever

My crud api's are so clean the coverage tool tells me I don't need to do anything.

Dewt

Might want to install the apostrophe linter

sirhenry

This just appeared in the sidebar when going to listen to some Morricone: Why Do So Many Programmers Lose Hope?. It may have some useful tips for those starting...

bgmnts

I've hit the point recently in my depression where I don't even have the energy to be angry or sad about being depressed.

Those emotions were keeping me going. Now I dont know what the fuck. Will have to try to go to the doctors again so they can not provide me with therapy and throw pills at me and hope it works. Grim.

Blue Jam

Cycling to werk three days a week, getting up earlier, appetite has shrunk, don't feel like drinking so much booze. Think I'm back in Werk Mode.

Pink Gregory

Finishing my day at around 1, feels like I'm walking uphill through wet tar, coming home and sleeping until around 6.

Not good is it?

Blue Jam

I'm getting up and going to bed at a reasonable hour but still needing a nap during the day. Better get over that before I'm back to werk properly.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 07, 2020, 04:56:05 PM
I'm getting up and going to bed at a reasonable hour but still needing a nap during the day. Better get over that before I'm back to werk properly.
I've been having a shower during my 12 o'clock break, which I find livens me up for the second half of the work (at home) day. Back at the office, I used to need about two or three large coffees to get me through the afternoon.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on July 06, 2020, 08:18:05 PM
I've hit the point recently in my depression where I don't even have the energy to be angry or sad about being depressed.

Those emotions were keeping me going. Now I dont know what the fuck. Will have to try to go to the doctors again so they can not provide me with therapy and throw pills at me and hope it works. Grim.

come on, remember the good times...those ducks, the garlic fields....well they are still there unless the Wurzels have been at them. Wishing you well.

Ferris

The continuing stress of work, and handling personal commitments and containment hit me really badly last few weeks actually, a few days ago I was really in a state. I think I'd taken on a lot more than I was willing to admit and had a (minor) wobble. Wasn't nice.

I'm fine now and can laugh about it, but I'm trying to be a bit more open and honest when I'm not able to handle more pressure. We're in the tiny apartment for 3 more weeks, piece of piss to get through that (probably).

Chedney Honks

Counting down the days for you mate! All the best with the move.

Ferris

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 14, 2020, 03:24:13 AM
Counting down the days for you mate! All the best with the move.

The movers want $3.5k for packing and driving the truck to the coast. Cunts.

I've a meeting with top brass tomorrow to discuss "your move" so presumably they'll tell me they've transferred me or are accepting my resignation without end date (or are sacking me). It's all happening!

tao of wub

Quote from: bgmnts on July 06, 2020, 08:18:05 PM

There is an upside to this low bgmnts.  If you have any bad habits like cigs, now is the easiest time ever to quit as you probably are not enjoying your vices anyway!  It is how I gave up alcohol.

If you like cats or similar I suggest spending some time with a friendly cat..(or other happy animal of your choice), they are happy to provide therapy in return for scritches and won't judge you.  You can even give them catnip if you want to see them off their multiple tits.  Seeing the joy they take in simple things can reflect some of that onto you.

It is shit blundering around in an exhausted emotionless daze I know, but it can get better.

tao of wub

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 14, 2020, 03:30:22 AM

Make sure you don't fall foul of Total Bastard MoversTM, apparently one of the most complained about business types in Canada due to total lack of regulation.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3542003/moving-scam-canada/

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 14, 2020, 03:30:22 AM

I've a meeting with top brass tomorrow to discuss "your move" so presumably they'll tell me they've transferred me or are accepting my resignation without end date (or are sacking me). It's all happening!

I missed this...you moving out East?

Ferris

Quote from: tao of wub on July 14, 2020, 05:38:50 AM
Make sure you don't fall foul of Total Bastard MoversTM, apparently one of the most complained about business types in Canada due to total lack of regulation.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3542003/moving-scam-canada/

Genuinely very worried about this. The cowboys we've ended up going with specifically exclude any musical instruments from their insurance so that's all my guitars/amps/pedals/keyboards/synths completely FUCKED and/or NICKED.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 14, 2020, 08:43:38 AM
I missed this...you moving out East?

3 more weeks in Toronto, then 8 very happy years come to an end and we move to the coast. I don't want to derail this thread any more than I have done (sorry everyone) but I'm quite excited. We have an Airbnb for 6 months while we househunt for a bijoux little gaff for the Ferris Clan. We're looking to get somewhere cheap so we don't worry about money, and I can take a masters degree then go and do a job I don't LOATHE.

Part of working my current role was saving the cash for a deposit and a degree then I can resign - saved that now, so away we go. Call in 25 minutes to discuss my "future with the company" so let's see what they offer me (spoiler: it will be fuck all, and maybe a few extra NDAs to sign). Can't sack me though, so I'll keep taking their money until I go on my own terms.

Cloud

Really getting worn down with the constant bombardment of bad news.

"Here is a giant list of long term effects that will probably semi-disable you for life and possibly give you brain damage if you catch it" - oh... shit.
"By the way, antibodies only last 3 months" - oh... shit.
"Oh and it looks like the economic devastation is going to make the Great Depression of the 1930s look like a picnic" - oh... shit.
"And while we're at it, SAGE is saying we'll definitely get a second wave in winter and it's only a question of whether it'll be severe enough to kill another 100,000 people" - oh... shit.
"Also it's almost impossible to stop because 80% are completely asymptomatic" - oh... shit.
"But even if they are asymptomatic they STILL can expect lung damage and other long term consequences" - oh... shit.

It is honestly getting to that "do I even want to live through what's to come?" stage of despair.

chveik

Quote from: Cloud on July 14, 2020, 05:33:44 PM
"But even if they are asymptomatic they STILL can expect lung damage and other long term consequences" - oh... shit.

where did you saw this?

Puce Moment

I've been referred to an NHS Psychiatrist because counselling is just too dangerous for me at the moment, apparently. They tried calling me on my mobile despite my attempts to tell them a million times that I get barely any reception and to PLEASE use my landline.

I feel pretty positive about it. Just talking to someone about my problems does fuck all.

tao of wub

Quote from: Cloud on July 14, 2020, 05:33:44 PM
It is honestly getting to that "do I even want to live through what's to come?" stage of despair.

All you can do is look after yourself as best as you can though.  If you spent all day reading about tobacco use and disease it would stress you out if you were a smoker.

Loads of people manage to smoke and happily ignore the very real risks, when they could sack it off and be healthy.

Don't get too hung up on it all, it doesn't help. 

At least you can make a choice about how you behave, re. masks, hand washing etc..

bgmnts

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 14, 2020, 06:19:31 PM
I've been referred to an NHS Psychiatrist because counselling is just too dangerous for me at the moment, apparently. They tried calling me on my mobile despite my attempts to tell them a million times that I get barely any reception and to PLEASE use my landline.

I feel pretty positive about it. Just talking to someone about my problems does fuck all.

I didn't even know counselling was still available during The Plague Months.

Puce Moment

Quote from: bgmnts on July 14, 2020, 06:55:42 PMI didn't even know counselling was still available during The Plague Months.

Well it's all based on the phone or zoom, but that at least is something for those that need it. The only people who have come to my house were the crisis team a couple of months ago, but they were PPEd up, and I had a facemask on. Now I've been referred to psychotherapy which is also over Zoom. I'm incredibly grateful. The NHS is a mess, but it has been working hard to save my life, and my wife's life, with a great deal of skill, empathy and care.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Cloud on July 14, 2020, 05:47:04 PM
https://elemental.medium.com/even-if-youre-asymptomatic-the-coronavirus-can-do-damage-4ab22451161a

I think this part of the article is pretty important:

"How big a deal is this? No one's sure."

It's probably best to avoid such articles as they're not going to help you either, and just deal with problems if they do occur.

bgmnts

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 14, 2020, 06:59:51 PM
Well it's all based on the phone or zoom, but that at least is something for those that need it. The only people who have come to my house were the crisis team a couple of months ago, but they were PPEd up, and I had a facemask on. Now I've been referred to psychotherapy which is also over Zoom. I'm incredibly grateful. The NHS is a mess, but it has been working hard to save my life, and my wife's life, with a great deal of skill, empathy and care.

I probs need CBT or somethjng but couldnt be doing with Zoom or phone, not with my internet and hardware, would be a disaster.

Hopefully it'll get more face to face soon, distanced and all that.

Glad you're getting the help you need.

Cloud

Quote from: tao of wub on July 14, 2020, 06:37:45 PM
All you can do is look after yourself as best as you can though.  If you spent all day reading about tobacco use and disease it would stress you out if you were a smoker.

Loads of people manage to smoke and happily ignore the very real risks, when they could sack it off and be healthy.

Don't get too hung up on it all, it doesn't help. 

At least you can make a choice about how you behave, re. masks, hand washing etc..
Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 14, 2020, 07:06:47 PM
I think this part of the article is pretty important:

"How big a deal is this? No one%u2019s sure."

It's probably best to avoid such articles as they're not going to help you either, and just deal with problems if they do occur.

Thanks for the inputs and you're probably right.  It's really hard to stay away from all the news and speculation about this since a) It's everywhere and b) Constant anxiety (and wanting to know the impact of pubs etc) = constantly going into Remain Indoors here or all the Coronavirus subreddits trying to find some glimmer of hope and usually coming away with more misery.  And c) It seems like classic "head in the sand" syndrome.  I wish there was a news source that could be trusted!

Edit: On that last point there was a time when I'd have said the BBC.  But now they put out shit like this:

* Picking out the scariest part of a comprehensive report and writing it as a headline
* Picking out the worst case scenario from said report and putting it in the snippet underneath
* Choosing a suitably sombre "Dying Spock" image to go with it

Manipulative, misery stirring shite.  It does backpedal a bit in the text, but as usual, it's clickbait, and it's an anxiety inducing thing to be hit in the face with when you first glance at the headlines.  I get that we should all be scared, as it motivates us to try and keep ourselves and each other safe and avoid complacency, but I'm just not sure that picking the worst possible scenario from a report written for the government and chucking it up as a headline isn't taking it into "scare mongering" territory.