Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:33:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fucking HELL I'm fed up: How are YOU doing?

Started by Blue Jam, April 14, 2020, 12:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tao of wub

Quote from: Cloud on July 14, 2020, 08:22:56 PM
I wish there was a news source that could be trusted!

Lots of the news has become all about engagement, so it is closer to, say, Eastenders, than fact, and they love nothing more than pushing our buttons.

The following links are all to level headed factual sources from world experts that have no interest in making you upset or worried.

I have posted these before, but inthepipeline blog the oldest blog about things general pharma related has had some great factual coverage,

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/

Nature is the most respected scientific publication out there, giving a summary of current corona articles

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00502-w

This Week in Virology is a discussion pod from some very respectable doctors, who frequently discuss the current corana situation

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/

My personal feeling is that the vaccine research is going remarkably well.  Much better in fact than I initally expected.  I would wager that an effective vaccine probably WILL be available in 2021, but there will be shortages of all the necessary materials etc. required for mass distribution, so rich americans will try and buy it all.

Cloud

Thanks for the pointers, I'm currently enjoying the "vaccine derangement" blog amongst others in the science mag!

Years ago I took a sort of comfort from science (even if it was still via internet third parties like say Slashdot) - not sure why that really stopped - I guess getting older and understanding it less!

Puce Moment

Quote from: bgmnts on July 14, 2020, 07:09:49 PMI probs need CBT or somethjng but couldnt be doing with Zoom or phone, not with my internet and hardware, would be a disaster.

You raise a good point about the fact that service is provided much more quickly for those that can do this, that know how to do it, and are willing. I have a couple of other health issues that won't get looked at for months because they require face-to-face contact.

However, it is all based on need, and you should push for CBT if you think it is the correct route for you. It is better to have a proactive GP advocating on your behalf. Mine is spectacularly good at pushing and pressuring for me to be seen, and he makes things happen with a simple phonecall. I have never had that before. It might be worth prodding your GP to act on your behalf.

QuoteGlad you're getting the help you need.

I'm not - yet. But I hope to soon. I hope you get seen as well. It's the least we deserve.

popcorn

Add me to the list of people going slightly spare at this point.

I moved from Tokyo back to the UK last year. Moved back in with my parents temporarily before new job started. Was preparing to move to London for the job and then they shut the office and I've been working from home since. Have been told the office probably won't reopen until autumn at the earliest.

There's been no point moving, so I've been in my teenage bedroom the entire time. There are so many worse situations to be in right now.

...But at the same time I keep waking up that teenage bedroom (last inhabited 15 years ago), then lying in bed scrolling back through of the last five years of my life - Blade Runnerish bars in Shinjuku, hip Shibuya cafes, sushi at the top of Ebisu Garden Place, abandoned love hotels in the mountains of Nagano - and thinking "what the fuck happened?" Every single day I've had since March has been identical. I've almost completely regressed. I might as well get my Transformers out.

On top of it my girlfriend is still trapped in Japan and due to various covid/logistical/visa nightmares we won't be able to see each other any time soon. It's really painful. I haven't done any bumming in ages.

Quote from: popcorn on July 15, 2020, 01:28:08 PM
But at the same time I keep waking up that teenage bedroom (last inhabited 15 years ago), then lying in bed scrolling back through of the last five years of my life - Blade Runnerish bars in Shinjuku, hip Shibuya cafes, sushi at the top of Ebisu Garden Place, abandoned love hotels in the mountains of Nagano - All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

popcorn

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on July 15, 2020, 11:27:59 PM
It's fair enough. RIP me

I was going to have a pop as well (for the lolz) but I'm still feeling angry and miserable and coiled up and sad and stressed and I didn't think it'd be appropriate. I'm fucking sick of lockdown.

bgmnts

Eh whats wrong with going back? Why does everything have to change or go forward or be different?

tao of wub

Quote from: bgmnts on July 16, 2020, 01:59:25 AM
Eh whats wrong with going back? Why does everything have to change or go forward or be different?
Everything is changing always, what can you do?  I am back spatially where I was when I was 17.  But I'm not back there.

All the things I want to do now and, well everything, is different.  Much as I would like to be 17 again, I'm not.  The whole world has moved on.

Bobbing around in the flotsam and jetsam of my past, feeling like so much discarded flipflop off-cut, is seriously ruining my motivation and mental composure.  I just want to get on to the new experiences that I was looking forward to.  Now my energy and will is being sapped away and I'm up still at 4.30am AGAIN!

I think I understand what you are saying though, if you had a good place and can find it again, or stay in a good place then that is fine. 

You would be living Hobbit style, i.e. in a comfortable place.  My cat would have been happy to sit by the fire everyday.  But most people need some kind of dynamic thing going on.  Even my cat would go out cause havoc somewhere everyday.

Neurology shows that it is good for our brain's physical wellbeing to have new challenges.

There isn't really any going back strictly speaking, just moving forward into stuff you are familiar with.  Sometimes you just want to head on out into the future and find yourself LOST, looking over strange terrain as they say.

weaseldust

sorry to hear so many cabbers have been feeling bad recently - i think it would be good if there was a non-covid 'how is your day, what are you up to' thread. maybe one of the Big Posters can start it?

i'm going slightly insane waiting on results to some blood tests i had done last friday. also today the job centre is going to call to find out why i quit my retail job and somehow i have to explain it's because of fear of getting infected, so we'll see how that goes...

Barry Admin

Quote from: weaseldust on July 16, 2020, 10:48:41 AM
sorry to hear so many cabbers have been feeling bad recently - i think it would be good if there was a non-covid 'how is your day, what are you up to' thread. maybe one of the Big Posters can start it?

I'd rather that didn't happen tbh.

There have been "things that brightened your day" and "things that fucked you off no end" threads before, and they just absolutely killed the thread diversity in GB. This is a forum where people are always very reticent to start new threads, which is why I split so many of them off. People just end up making a bee-line for those threads to talk about anything and everything, and I end up hating the sight of the place and resent having to read the same threads every day for years at a time.

If people have something to say about their day or their problems or whatever now, they can just make a thread about it. I've let this particular thread go for the meantime as people have been really wound up and needing to vent over covid etc.

Sorry.

weaseldust

it's okay, i understand. that is the unfortunate side effect of those kind of threads. we had one called 'the livejournal thread' on the forum i used to post on a while back and it did just turn into a giant thousand-paged thing and people did make less threads, so i get it

popcorn

Quote from: weaseldust on July 16, 2020, 10:48:41 AM
also today the job centre is going to call to find out why i quit my retail job and somehow i have to explain it's because of fear of getting infected, so we'll see how that goes...

fuck em. tell them you think it's there's a reasonable risk of being infected by a reasonably dangerous disease and didn't think it would be wise to accept the job. if they say lots of other people are working retail jobs then say that's fine but that's themselves they're putting at risk and that's their choice.

Gregory Torso

Gregory Torso

Zetetic

I've no idea what you wrote, but I hope you're alright.

Barry Admin

Yeah, same. It's fine to use this thread to vent, it's what it's here for, don't let my moaning put you off :-)

Gregory Torso

Yeah. Soz. I just thought I was being too whingey. Things are very difficult. I'm fine though, thanks. It's just all shit at the moment isn't it

bgmnts

Knowing other people are miserable too makes me less miserable so keep it up!

Blue Jam

Thanks Neil, I know the thread title is a bit vague but I really didn't mean to start this as one of those megathreads I know you hate. It was intended as a bit of a mental health discussion, knowing how many mentals there are on here, and being a mental myself.

That said I feel a bit of a whiny twat now. So many people here have it worse than me, I'm a lucky fucker and I've still been struggling to appreciate it.

This week I've been really struggling with work, especially with getting motivated to work from home. Home working has never really suited me and nothing's changed there. I was supposed to process some data on Tuesday and ended up spending most of the day playing video games. Felt pretty bad about that.

I'm lucky my job isn't office based and I've been allowed to go back for three days a week. I can actually get stuff done at the lab and it's nice to have a bit of a routine and feel like I've got a proper weekend to look forward to. It was a struggle at first though, especially as I'm now cycling to work and was initially very stressed about staying safe on the roads. Going from cycling 0 miles per day to 6-8 miles per day was also a bit of a shock to the system and revealed how out of shape I was, but now I'm feeling fitter and starting to take a bit more notice of the beautiful bit of Scotland I get to cycle through.

It's weird being in a big empty building and not speaking to anyone all day though, a bit creepy. I could do with a bit more comforting background noise in here.

SpiderChrist

Mostly Meh, with a bit of Pfft, a sprinkling of Ngh and a big slice of OHFUCKOFF

Cloud

There is always someone in the world who has it worse.  It's okay to vent about your problems, they don't have to be the worst problem in the forum/country/world/universe :)

I'm trying to decide whether to broach the subject of returning to the office (per updated government guidelines and all that) or just carry on from home and let them be the first to bring it up.  At the moment I have a major project on that I'm cracking on with from home, but that's almost done, and I'll feel more "generally useful" being back to being a general "IT support presence" than sitting at home thinking of new projects to work on.  What bothers me is if they find themselves making redundancies and find themselves with scoring along the lines of "if they're furloughed or working from home they can fuck off".

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 14, 2020, 08:43:38 AM
I missed this...you moving out East?

Big Meeting came to nothing. They asked me to reconfirm I was leaving town and never coming back (ok).

Email from some big HR boss this morning warning me that my pay and benefits could be "seriously impacted" by my "international move to Vancouver". Politely pointed out I'm moving somewhere 6,000km away from Vancouver, I'm not leaving Canada so where's international come from, and unless they want to formally transfer me I'd still be under contract to an Ontario company so no change to my tax rates.

...apologetic email came back agreeing that what I said was true, but "you might not be covered for hospital trips if you get sick while travelling". Well I live somewhere with public healthcare so what are you on about.

Clearly some poor yank told to email and try to put the wind up me, but given incredibly shonky information and couldn't be arsed to verify it. Pricks.

Chedney Honks

Fuck em mate. They'll all be dead in a few months.

Ferris

Cheers bosto. It'll all be alright, just fancied a rant and this is the thread to do it in.

Dewt

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 16, 2020, 10:13:28 PM
Big Meeting came to nothing. They asked me to reconfirm I was leaving town and never coming back (ok).

Email from some big HR boss this morning warning me that my pay and benefits could be "seriously impacted" by my "international move to Vancouver". Politely pointed out I'm moving somewhere 6,000km away from Vancouver, I'm not leaving Canada so where's international come from, and unless they want to formally transfer me I'd still be under contract to an Ontario company so no change to my tax rates.

...apologetic email came back agreeing that what I said was true, but "you might not be covered for hospital trips if you get sick while travelling". Well I live somewhere with public healthcare so what are you on about.

Clearly some poor yank told to email and try to put the wind up me, but given incredibly shonky information and couldn't be arsed to verify it. Pricks.
What a spiteful fuckhead

Hateful people working in HR is just awful

Ferris

Quote from: Dewt on July 16, 2020, 10:26:57 PM
What a spiteful fuckhead

Hateful people working in HR is just awful

Just lazy and mean spirited. If I took them at their word, I'd be worried but what they're saying is nonsense, and I imagine a more junior staff member would feel pressured because of the power imbalance. I'll be out of there in a few months anyway (one way or the other) so I'm cheerfully pointing out what they're saying is bullshit and carrying on my merry way.

But it did piss me off. Anyway.

Dewt

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 16, 2020, 10:35:53 PM
Just lazy and mean spirited. If I took them at their word, I'd be worried but what they're saying is nonsense, and I imagine a more junior staff member would feel pressured because of the power imbalance. I'll be out of there in a few months anyway (one way or the other) so I'm cheerfully pointing out what they're saying is bullshit and carrying on my merry way.

But it did piss me off. Anyway.
If I'm understanding it correctly it seems like they went out of their way to say "careful mate, something terrible might happen to your health and subsequently your bank balance"

Ferris

Quote from: Dewt on July 16, 2020, 10:37:32 PM
If I'm understanding it correctly it seems like they went out of their way to say "careful mate, something terrible might happen to your health and subsequently your bank balance"

Yeah it was an intimidation attempt which is what pissed me off, but it was laughably incompetent. I also outrank this tool, so I could reach out to my equivalent in HR and say "what the fucks this clown on about" but it would rustle feathers and cause aggro and I just can't be arsed. I'm counting down the days and cashing the cheques.

I guess I didn't realize how fed up I actually was until my new cunt neighbour moved in and signaled that they are going to start playing obnoxious music at an unreasonable volume next door to me. Small change compared to the neighbours some (including Barry Admin) have had to deal with, I know, but the pandemic has turned me into a borderline agoraphobic hikikomori and I'm having a mini panic attack after realizing how my mental equilibrium has been maintained by having a solitary living space to retreat into. And now some rude asshole has invaded it, and given the shit society we live in there will be literally nothing I can do about it if it becomes a problem. So I'm imagining myself stuck here miserable for at least another few months and then having to find a new place and move in the middle of a fucking pandemic, all because some cunt never learned basic manners.