Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:42:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fucking HELL I'm fed up: How are YOU doing?

Started by Blue Jam, April 14, 2020, 12:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: shiftwork2 on April 16, 2020, 01:51:43 PM
Cautious optimism continues at work.  Here at least things are going to be...alright.

On a personal level I've been lucky enough to have retained a weekday routine at least.   It's let me keep all of this shit in perspective.  Whenever I talk to someone who is WFH or furloughed and venturing out very rarely then the difference in outlook is really apparent.  If I'd been at home for 24 days and inevitably watching too much news then I'd probably hyperventilate going to the co-op.

Ditto. Seems like the shit will hit another fan than my fan. Very much enjoying being able to go to work and all of the incentive overtime.

Almost worth the risk of getting a nasty case of the 'vid.

Blue Jam

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 16, 2020, 01:41:41 PM
I think you're fine as long as you're just walking to places and back, they just don't want people hanging about. I went out for the first time in a week on Tuesday when it was nice and sunny out and went down to my local favourite spot, King Edward's Bay, where there'd usually be tons of people, and it was completely empty, not a soul, just the sound of the waves crashing and seagulls. I could have stayed there for hours but made sure I just walked a lap then headed home. But I felt so much better afterwards, just that 30 mins or so out of the house.

Cheers, you were right, I did feel a bit better after walking round Holyrood Park for a bit. Wanted to have a bit of a hike up the hills but there were police patrolling about, possibly park wardens too, and there was no-one up there so I decided not to chance it. Was nice seeing the gorse is in flower and getting to breathe in that familiar Hawaiian Tropic scent.

It didn't last though- walking back I saw police telling an obviously homeless man "You can't be outside" and trying to order him to move on as he tried to tell them he hadn't been able to get a room at the shelter. Walking past Sainsbury's a bit later I noticed numerous splashes of blood on the ground, possibly because things had all got a bit too much for someone while they were on the booze run *sigh*

I wish I could just get on a Flybe prop plane to the Outer Hebrides and just stay there forever.

Feeling marginally more awake now, still with no appetite and only enough energy to twat about on the Xbox, but I think it really was just my hormones being crap and not a case of the 'rona and DEAD SOON

H-O-W-L

Spent most of the last two weeks drunk, I shan't lie. The last half-week of sobriety has been legitimately difficult, as my absence should suggest. Each day bleeds into the next, with my average 'day' starting somewhere near the end of the first, and ending somewhere in the middle of the other, even when sober. I have no idea what my own mental or physical endgame of this 12-week isolation is, nor do I have any idea what the fuck I'm going to do when it ends. I'm spinning my wheels and throwing down track ahead of a speeding train here, and I might not be so scared were I not aware that even The Powers That be are doing the same thing.

This is the most unprecedented, futureless era of my lifetime and I am bloody frightened. I'm very vulnerable and I live with two vulnerable people. If I contract it I'm quite fucked. IF they contract it from me, they are very fucked, and then I am too because I rely on them.

I am legitimately aware (and trying to plan for) the fact this might potentially be my very last year.

Jasha

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 17, 2020, 12:40:46 AM
Bet most people here are feeling better than the couple in this story.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-52310143

QuoteMr Deane said Stroud District Council had now provided them with a property nearby in Stonehouse.

One for the Desolation thread

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 16, 2020, 11:43:00 PM
Cheers, you were right, I did feel a bit better after walking round Holyrood Park for a bit. Wanted to have a bit of a hike up the hills but there were police patrolling about, possibly park wardens too, and there was no-one up there so I decided not to chance it. Was nice seeing the gorse is in flower and getting to breathe in that familiar Hawaiian Tropic scent.

Glad to hear it. I've been supplementing my occasional trips outside with HD virtual walking tours of cities on YouTube, but there's really nothing to beat actually being out.

Braintree

I am still working from home, my meeting today got rescheduled so I am feeling like I am waiting for stuff to happen.

Colleagues have been furloughed but some haven't, which is causing resentment. I could do with the break but assuming I am business-critical (for now) if redundancies happen later on.

Harpo Speaks

Working from home here. Feels a bit much for me to be complaining given the job/economic situation some people find themselves in, but I must admit I'm slightly jealous of these people who have suddenly found themselves with weeks upon weeks of free time.

ollyboro

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on April 17, 2020, 06:23:55 PM
Working from home here. Feels a bit much for me to be complaining given the job/economic situation some people find themselves in, but I must admit I'm slightly jealous of these people who have suddenly found themselves with weeks upon weeks of free time.

Change career then.

sirhenry

Spent my whole life avoiding pointless exercise. Now I find I'm looking forward to the daily hour and a half of Nintendo RingFit and I hate myself.
"Your sweat is so briny and shite!"

At least when I finally catch Corvid19 and die I'll be healthier than ever before.

Ferris

Getting fed up of working from home to be honest. Shitloads of stress and pressure beamed directly to my sofa. I preferred it staying in an office building I could avoid.

Cloud

Doing fuck all for 80% pay would've certainly been nice in a way but I'm glad to be considered useful enough to be working from home.  There's the argument that depending how long this thing goes on for, furlough is more of a "flattening the curve of redundancies" thing than a "protect your job and go back to it later" thing, so it's kind of reassuring.

I honestly do think I'm more productive here and think I'm showing it pretty well to the powers that be.  It helps not having the phone going all the time with interruptions, and just the increased sense of responsibility from genuinely not wanting to let the side down during a crisis, wanting to earn trust for any other home working in the future etc.

Worst thing is of my own making (but I'm trying to rein it in), and that's working past the clock.  We have to clock in and clock out which still applies (we just do it via email now) so I have always left at 5 on the dot and not a moment later.  "If they're so strict why shouldn't I be", etc. But since working from home, with no physical ritual of shutting down, getting up and walking to the car, I keep just going on til like quarter past, half past etc "just finishing this job off".  It's not like we get paid for it. 

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on April 17, 2020, 06:23:55 PM

I sort of feel the same way, though it varies, part of me is glad to have the routine and I do enjoy the work I do (the Chinese kids at least, the French adults can be dull sometimes) but I'm envious that everyone I live with is furloughed and spending their lives getting drunk or stoned and sometimes both, it'd be easier if the fuckers were working too if only because I'm tired of complaining about the noise they make.

The fact that the house stinks of weed is causing me to struggle when it comes to no longer smoking it too, to be honest it's more the tobacco element (as I never got on with pipe or bong smoking) that has prevented me from doing so. I know it's a shitty thing to do (especially as an ex-smoker who no doubt annoyed housemates in the past) but I'm really tempted to complain to the landlord, though it'd be pretty obvious who had made the complaint and probably lead to a whole load of shit so I'll try to resist for the time being.

Mentally (as the above may show) I'm a bit all over the place, some days are good, some bleak, and I'm struggling more than ever when it comes to the diabetes and sticking to a decent diet. I manage to most of the time but about twice a week snap and fuck off down Sainsburys, so if I die of a heart attack / stroke soon that'll be why, it certainly was easier when I had things in my life that replaced my lust for sugar like a social life, etc.

I also don't like to drink when I'm teaching the next day and as I'm doing six days a week that means only Saturday night's are fun right now, but I can see myself snapping on that front if I goes on for more than a couple more months without at least some change.

Dewt

One massive advantage of working from home is that my role has become easier in that I'm not treated as the oracle of all wisdom and people are finally doing Google searches or just failing instead of asking me questions. I haven't had a "what will my code do when it runs" "JUST RUN IT AND FIND OUT" exchange since February. And the other thing that happened is that all the people who were programmers but shouldn't be are no longer programmers because I'm not there to carry them through the day.

I know that sounds arrogant but it's not that I'm brilliant so much as they are shit

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on April 17, 2020, 08:40:04 PM
One massive advantage of working from home is that my role has become easier in that I'm not treated as the oracle of all wisdom and people are finally doing Google searches or just failing instead of asking me questions. I haven't had a "what will my code do when it runs" "JUST RUN IT AND FIND OUT" exchange since February. And the other thing that happened is that all the people who were programmers but shouldn't be are no longer programmers because I'm not there to carry them through the day.

I know that sounds arrogant but it's not that I'm brilliant so much as they are shit

We're quite new into a project at the minute that is actually appropriate to be using microservices and being able to build one end-to-end in a few days, then dump it for review into everyone's lap and do fuck all for the next day but check in a couple of times to either argue why you thought about doing it that way but the way you did something is better or going 'ok I'll do that' without stepping on other people's toes is great.

Dewt

I'm in a similar position except that I'm the only person at the company who knows what a code review is and I've just engineered the situation to keep the project scope small and for me to be the only developer working on it except for one service which is farmed out to a dev team with its own manager. Score. Going to enjoy it before it gets ruined by somebody having a bright idea that screws it up for me. "Maybe we should hire some dust to be a junior programmer. That'll help you. Some dust we scraped off from under a cupboard. Just teach that to code. Okay bye!"

Sebastian Cobb

I've been unusually pushy and assertive with people, including my boss, and it's resulted in us all agreeing that we're going to code in containerised environments (you can run it in your ide if you wish but it's not supported and it's your problem if it's fragile), including the functional tests. The upshot is you can actually checkout a project call 'docker-compose up' and it'll gracefully start the backend, the app and run the tests to tell you it wasn't broken before you messed with it.

Which hopefully will make life a little less frustrating.

non capisco

Quote from: Cloud on April 17, 2020, 07:37:30 PM
Worst thing is of my own making (but I'm trying to rein it in), and that's working past the clock.  We have to clock in and clock out which still applies (we just do it via email now) so I have always left at 5 on the dot and not a moment later.  "If they're so strict why shouldn't I be", etc. But since working from home, with no physical ritual of shutting down, getting up and walking to the car, I keep just going on til like quarter past, half past etc "just finishing this job off".  It's not like we get paid for it.

I'm scheduled to work from 9 to 6 and there is no way I'm working before or beyond that just because I'm doing it from my flat. The VPN to connect to my work computer is on a work laptop rather than my personal one so that gets shut down bang on 6. I even get changed into lounging clothes straight afterwards and immediately stop checking emails. Fuck 'em, comrade.

SteveDave

I've not got cancer balls. It's some calcification like (and I quote) a pearl in an oyster shell.

My mum is still in hospital with a possible head wrong though. 

jobotic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: SteveDave on April 17, 2020, 11:04:40 PM
I've not got cancer balls. It's some calcification like (and I quote) a pearl in an oyster shell.

Glad your bollocks are alright.

I had a doctor, who as dressed in combat trousers and nhs polo neck, and generally looked like he should've been hanging a door, describe a serbatious cyst as 'it's when your pores get blocked and it fills with all this cottage cheese like stuff'.

non capisco

Glad to hear it, Mr. SteveDave.

Brundle-Fly

Phew! Balls sorted. One hurdle leaped over majestically.

greencalx

Yay for some good bollock related tidings.

Mr Eggs

Try and wank it out. Set up a load of tins on a wall and see if you can knock one off.

Blue Jam

Phew. Glad to hear your ball is just peachy. Or just pearly.

Fingers crossed for your mum x

Blue Jam

Woke up at 1.30pm today. Fucking hell. Iron tablets aren't helping at all, and neither did laying off the booze for a bit. Really hope it's just my crap hormones making me feel so knackered.

Jasha

Some shit on my street has acquired a saxophone but hasn't got past playing 3 notes, repeatedly, all afternoon.

canadagoose

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 18, 2020, 03:38:06 PM
Woke up at 1.30pm today. Fucking hell. Iron tablets aren't helping at all, and neither did laying off the booze for a bit. Really hope it's just my crap hormones making me feel so knackered.
I know the feeling. I think I'm worse than usual because of the restrictions. It'll be nice once they're loosened a bit, but I'll probably not be any more arsed.