Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:13:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

!!! - Wimblewrong 2020 First-Round Draw - !!!

Started by selectivememory, April 14, 2020, 11:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Both nagsworth and Plankton's opponents have dropped out, so they are going to play a match against each other instead. alan nagsworth to serve.

Also, because that means we'll have 18 rather than 19 winners, there'll be an additional high-scoring loser spot for the next round.

alan nagsworth

Cheers for this, sm. Should hopefully have my serve up today, it's not like I've got owt better to do!!

selectivememory

Just an update on the high-scoring loser situation. We have six spots available, and touchingcloth, Old Thrashbarg, Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse and QDRPHNC have all definitely qualified now. Small Man Big Horse is also looking like he will qualify, although there's still another day to go in the voting in his match[nb]and he could still win that match, in which case Zoyza would also qualify as a HSL[/nb]. And the last place is currently occupied by Tension Knob, with just one more match left to be completed and voted on.

QDRPHNC

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

chveik

PlanktonSideburns

rue the polywhirl

I think the highest scoring loser situation is a bit iffy? Any chance if deciding the losers to progress to the next round by way of new poll thread?

touchingcloth

Quote from: selectivememory on April 22, 2020, 05:50:14 PM
Just an update on the high-scoring loser situation. We have six spots available, and touchingcloth, Old Thrashbarg, Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse and QDRPHNC have all definitely qualified now. Small Man Big Horse is also looking like he will qualify, although there's still another day to go in the voting in his match[nb]and he could still win that match, in which case Zoyza would also qualify as a HSL[/nb]. And the last place is currently occupied by Tension Knob, with just one more match left to be completed and voted on.

WHAT?! Definitely through already?!?!? This is great news, though it does mean that my promised ending of Prison Biscuits now cannot happen. Unless...have I already ended them by default? Hanged on a comma.

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 22, 2020, 11:55:42 PM
WHAT?! Definitely through already?!?!? This is great news, though it does mean that my promised ending of Prison Biscuits now cannot happen. Unless...have I already ended them by default? Hanged on a comma.

You'll never know the ass whipping I would have given you  :'(

selectivememory

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on April 22, 2020, 11:25:16 PM
I think the highest scoring loser situation is a bit iffy? Any chance if deciding the losers to progress to the next round by way of new poll thread?

Oh, I went through this before the tournament, asked if anyone wanted a different rule, hardly anyone responded and we didn't really come up with a better one, and I'm not going to change the rule while we're into the tournament. Can always do it next year before we get started if enough people want to.

I agree it's not a perfect rule, but we'll stick with it for now. I'm definitely not going to take away people's spots in the next round after I've already declared them through.

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 22, 2020, 11:55:42 PM

I guess you destroyed them by virtue of being a higher-scoring loser than they were.

Prison Biscuits is unlucky though. The seventh highest-scoring loser, with six available spots.

touchingcloth

I didn't want to destroy them, just end them. I promised to, in fact.

Quote from: Prison Biscuits on April 12, 2020, 11:23:18 PM
Promises, promises, you big tease.

My second Wimblewrong, my second utterly shambolic effort.

touchingcloth

Quote from: selectivememory on April 23, 2020, 12:13:02 AM
I agree it's not a perfect rule, but we'll stick with it for now. I'm definitely not going to take away people's spots in the next round after I've already declared them through.

Wooden spoon round for everyone who didn't go through to have another chance to shop something? Doesn't really work does it as you'd need to repeat it each round.

Has there ever been an attempt at Wimblewrong doubles?

selectivememory

Christ, Wimblewrong doubles is actually not a bad idea. Maybe if this lockdown continues into the autumn we could look into doing something like that.

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 23, 2020, 12:23:32 AM
Wooden spoon round for everyone who didn%u2019t go through to have another chance to shop something? Doesn%u2019t really work does it as you%u2019d need to repeat it each round.

It would just drag out the round a bit more, and this tournament is already going to last a while. I think rue's idea is a decent one, but definitely sticking with the highest-scoring rule for the rest of this tournament anyway.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 23, 2020, 12:23:32 AM
Wooden spoon round for everyone who didn't go through to have another chance to shop something? Doesn't really work does it as you'd need to repeat it each round.
The only other fair way to decide which losers go through to the next round would be to have play-offs which would stretch the tournament out even longer. And since we're going from 36 players to 24 players, there would be 18 losers going for 6 spots which doesn't work. How do you decide which six of the nine winners gets through?

Ferris

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on April 23, 2020, 12:43:55 AM
The only other fair way to decide which losers go through to the next round would be to have play-offs which would stretch the tournament out even longer. And since we're going from 36 players to 24 players, there would be 18 losers going for 6 spots which doesn't work. How do you decide which six of the nine winners gets through?

Whoever gives me the most money goes through

touchingcloth

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on April 23, 2020, 12:43:55 AM

Put the best ones through, dummy.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: selectivememory on April 23, 2020, 12:13:02 AM
Oh, I went through this before the tournament, asked if anyone wanted a different rule, hardly anyone responded and we didn't really come up with a better one, and I'm not going to change the rule while we're into the tournament. Can always do it next year before we get started if enough people want to.

It's the way we've always done it and a perfectly decent system I reckon, sure the odd amazing player sadly gets knocked out sometimes but it's a mostly rare event, and the nature of this sort of competition in general.

BlodwynPig

Is this what it's like at a Labour CLP meeting?

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien