Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:40:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghost World (2001)

Started by holyzombiejesus, April 16, 2020, 10:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

One of my favourite films. Got the soundtrack the other day and it's playing as I write. It even includes that horrible Graduation Rap and Pickin' Cotton Blues by Blueshammer.

Anyway, I'm going to watch it again tonight having not seen it for at least 5 years.

dissolute ocelot

A brilliant film, totally dead-on in its portrayal of a certain part of America. I've friends from crappy Midwest towns around I70 and they swear by its accuracy even down to shit like the mulleted ninja and curiously well-stocked sex shops. The level of detail in the film is amazing.

I'm mainly posting because I went to check what the director Terry Zwigoff has been doing lately. He followed up with Bad Santa and Art School Confidential, both of which are enjoyable films with delightful casts, if not on the same level as Ghost World or the amazing documentary Crumb, but in the last 13 years all he's directed is one 30 minute short, Budding Prospects (2017), intended as a pilot for Amazon but apparently never picked up. I can't see what he's been doing - failed projects, total lack of involvement in Bad Santa: Apocalypse, possibly some marijiana. But a waste that I'm sure Enid Coleslaw would appreciate.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 16, 2020, 02:12:34 PM... I can't see what he's been doing - failed projects, total lack of involvement in Bad Santa: Apocalypse, possibly some marijiana. But a waste that I'm sure Enid Coleslaw would appreciate.

A lot of projects fell through. For instance, I read once that an adaptation of Maximum Bob was lined up, but rights complications arose due to the TV series. I was rather fond of the series, but it was very different to the book - much more offbeat humorous - and would be interesting to see a film version.

holyzombiejesus

I've mentioned Terry a few times on here in 'what happened to' threads. He came over to the UK relatively recently and played in his band with Robert Crumb (not dead!) at a screening of GW! There are a few interview knocking around from then. Such a shame he doesn't seem to be able to get work.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 16, 2020, 02:12:34 PM
I'm mainly posting because I went to check what the director Terry Zwigoff has been doing lately. He followed up with Bad Santa and Art School Confidential, both of which are enjoyable films with delightful casts, if not on the same level as Ghost World or the amazing documentary Crumb, but in the last 13 years all he's directed is one 30 minute short, Budding Prospects (2017), intended as a pilot for Amazon but apparently never picked up. I can't see what he's been doing - failed projects, total lack of involvement in Bad Santa: Apocalypse, possibly some marijiana. But a waste that I'm sure Enid Coleslaw would appreciate.

I get the impression that the critical failure of Art School Confidential sidetracked his career a bit, which is too bad because while it was a step down for him that movie deserves some critical reevaluation.