Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:18:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Silent Hill

Started by aboutlastnight, April 29, 2005, 10:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Still Not George

But the big head. The BIG FUCKING HEAD. ARGH!

Smackhead Kangaroo

well yes that was one of the only moments that I thought was creepy. the rest of that hospital was a walk in the park. The squeaky wheelchairs of doom racing about just weren't scary. I really thought there was going to be an interesting plot turn from the giant head but no I was wrong back to the stanley knife. Fastest weapon WOOO

Still Not George

I know what you mean about the wheelchairs of doom. On the other hand, I found them scary, but then I have a crip in the house and her wheelchair was looking at me, I swear it.

Hmm. I thought it was quite an innovative design for a game, given that so many these days stick to the unlocking cellular region model. But it didn't translate to a good game, or so a lot of people seem to think. Personally I liked it.

But... the Big Fucking Head really put the shits up me.

Smackhead Kangaroo

Well my vote for top horror game still goes with the Project Zero series. If I want action and the security of heavy weapons then it'll be resident Evil. but I've already decided that The RE games just aren't really horror games, but action games.
oh how my hatred of dolls has grown after Project zero. DAMN THEM and their beady little eyes. And that fucking japanese nursery rhyme YAARGH

Cerys

Quote from: "Rev"I absolutely love the way the plot sprouts from one of the scattered notes you can pick up in SH2, plus the meaning it gives to that mysterious 'there was a hole here' scrawling....

I'd forgotten about that!  Oh ... wow!

A friend's offered to lend me Shadow of Memories (I think that's the name), made by the same people, in which you have to time-travel to prevent your own death.  I want it now, dammit!

Regular John

Quote from: "Jack Skellington"If you like Silent Hill, you should maybe check out Forbidden Siren, or Project Zero. Forbidden Siren is kind of like a mix between Silent Hill and Metal Gear Solid, and was made by some of the people who worked on the original Silent  Hill. Ive had it since christmas but have yet to play it as my PS2 finally croaked a while back.

Forbidden Siren is a frustrating piece of shit with horrific voicework. Don't expect too much from it, I was severely let down.

Another good one to check out is Clock Tower 3, which has time travelling and short skirts on schoolgirls.

Macerate and Petrify

Quote from: "Regular John"IAnother good one to check out is Clock Tower 3, which has time travelling and short skirts on schoolgirls.

Clock Tower 3 is a piece of tosh. You would be far better off Playing the original on your SNES emulator of choice. If you need a hand doing this, IM me or PM me, i'll be happy to lend a hand.

chand

Quote from: "Regular John"Forbidden Siren is a frustrating piece of shit with horrific voicework. Don't expect too much from it, I was severely let down.

Yeah, it's very dark and hard to kow exactly what's going on. From what I gather there's a very specific way of doing each level and I ended up using online walkthroughs just to get anywhere which sucked all the fun out of it.

Mister Six

The original SNES emulated Clocktower is the tensest, scariest game ever, even if you're playing it on your cumbersome PC keyboard. And I haven't been scared since the bloody palmprint corridor in the original Resident Evil ten years ago.

Quote from: "Jack Skellington"If anyone would like to hear some of it ill post it in the chowns thread.

Hey I would be interested in this!

Cerys

I've just got hold of Shadow of Memories, and 'interesting' graphics and voice talent aside, it's a good 'un.  Oh, yes.

Regular John

I had a look at it after you mentioned it Cerys bought it off eBay for a fiver, it arrived today and I played a couple of hours. Very Shenmue like and the time travel element is fantastically Twilight Zone. Not so sure about the main character though, he looks out of place even in his own time period.

Cerys

Ah, he's just like any leading gangly male character in games of this kind - a complete fuckwit.

Regular John

They all have such pretty hair though!

Cerys

This is true.  I wonder if it's symbolic?

Smackhead Kangaroo

does it mean they have big hands?

Mister Six

Can you only buy it on eBay these days?

Cerys

My mate got in second-hand in Game, and I got it second-hand in Gamepark.  So I suppose the answer to that is no, you can get it in the shops if you're lucky.

Tom Rad

I played Shadow of Memories a while back (we got it second-hand from an independent gameshop, in case you're wondering). It was quite good - the graphics and the voice acting are a bit clunky, and it has got a very "first-generation PS2 game" feel to it, but the story is very convoluted, which is quite nice. The story can have a bit of a linear feel to it to start with, at least on the first play-through, but there are actually many different routes you can take through the story - transporting to different times, picking up various objects, making important decisions which change certain aspects of the story etc. The game has several different endings (five or so, as far as I can remember), but you really need the walkthrough to get them all. Well I did, anyway. It's not by no means the best adventure game I've played, but it does pass the time.

Macerate and Petrify

Bringing this thread back from the grave to post this:

www.e-pimp.biz/shariku/sh3-revengeending-long.wmv

The "Revenge" ending for Silent Hill 3, featuring a Silent Hill Song and aliens.

Cerys

Must ... resist ... urge ... to ... click.

Regular John

I only just got Silent Hill 3 working on my PC you sod.

Macerate and Petrify

Quote from: "Cerys"Must ... resist ... urge ... to ... click.

It won't spoil anything, I promise. It's like the bizarre UFO ending for SH2.

Cerys

... which I haven't seen yet.  My copy of SH2 got borrowed by a friend who then moved away, and I haven't got around to replacing it.  Bastard moving friends.

Rev

'New Films' thread, matey ;)

Cerys

I second the 'Oooooooooooooooooh'.  Although why they've decided on a heroine rather than a hero I don't know.  And contact with the outside world?  Bah.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: "Cerys"I second the 'Oooooooooooooooooh'.  Although why they've decided on a heroine rather than a hero I don't know.  And contact with the outside world?  Bah.
I don't understand the change of protagonist either. Seen Been would have made a fine Harry Mason, but it doesn't make much of a difference and I'm quietly optimistic that the film can be good. I presume the outside world bits are there to break up the main story and prevent it becoming too episodic. It could get  a bit boring if the film was just the main character running this way and that, killing a few giant animals now and then.

At any rate the trailer has inspired me to revisit the first two games again. The original remains my favourite I think, but only just. It certainly has the best beginning of any game ever. The blind panic as those horrible little things close in on you in the dark alley is expertly managed. I hear that in the non PAL versions they were replaced by knife wielding children, which would have been bloody horrible.

The second game was a slight disapointment initially. Sure the graphics were better and the central mystery fairly intriguing, but the fact that it didn't seem to follow on from the original was a bit of a let down. It's a grower though, I like it almost as much as the first now and it has the scariest baddie ever in the shape of Pyramid Head. It's amazing how terrifying a bloke with a silly metal hat on can be.

I've seen the third game in the shops for twenty odd quid, is it worth the money? I've heard that it's more of a straight shoot 'em up than the others.

Cerys

The third game is definitely worth it.  You get the choice of difficulty - options like easy combat and hard puzzles, which is great.  Plus each play-through unlocks comedy costumes and gweebly attacks.

Possibly spoiler - Oh, and you play Harry Mason's daughter.

Dark Sky

ARGH DAMN YOU

I wasn't going to read the spoiler but then I decided to quote your post and it appeared in a large font and jumped down my pupil.  I hope that's not some big "end of game revelation" or I'll do that thing to your letterbox.  That'll show you.

I've only played the first two games.  Or rather, I played the first one with a mate...  Or rather, he played most of it and I hid behind a cushion and whimpered loudly.  That was about two years ago when I was nineteen.

And then last summer I finally braved playing the second one through on my own, on 'easy action' (and normal puzzles), but only in the daylight and with my sister in the same room.

I'm with Claude a bit...  I think the original game is better, being the more twisted, freaky and bizarre...  It really was a case of "who knows what's going to happen next!" feel to it.  The second game wasn't quite as horrific, but was a lot more sedate, and also fantastically beautiful.  I enjoyed it immensely despite feeling a bit disappointed at the time.

I haven't mustered up the courage to play the third one yet, although I've been told it's the most horror-laden.  

I don't know what it is...I'm an absolutely horror film junkie, but sadly films never freak me out at all any more.  And yet computer games terrify me to the point of sobbing tears and nightmares and everything.  I do absolutely love the Silent Hill games but I wish I could play them more often!