Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:28:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Successful bands with the shittest name

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, April 16, 2020, 08:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pingers

buzby

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 27, 2020, 12:09:06 AM
Quote from: grainger on April 26, 2020, 10:13:27 PM
I may be wrong, but I think The Oasis was the name of a shopping centre/indoor market in Manchester in the 80s and/or 90s (I remember someone mentioning it to me in the early 90s, but it was a long time so I may be wrong).
People in Swindon proudly claim that Oasis named themselves after the swimming pool there.
After Liam replaced Chris Hutton as vocalist, he suggested that the band name be changed from the Rain to Oasis, after attending the April 1991 Inspiral Carpets 'Beast Inside' tour gig at the Oasis Leisure Centre in Swindon as a venue with Noel, who was a roadie for them
https://twitter.com/inspiralsband/status/1248355770334404608/photo/1
https://twitter.com/_Bands_FC/status/1177001687787159552/photo/1

The other story they have given is that Liam sawit on the Inspirals' Beast Inside tour poster, which they had on their bedreoom wall, but Noel has said that Liam was at the gig too. After going to see their first gig at the Boardwalk in August 1991, Noel then finagled his way into the band to use as an outlet for songs he had been writing.

Liam has admitted it was a shit name, but that it was also the name of a clothes shop in the Arndale (whether he meant the Oasis fashion chain is unclear, but it started in 1991 too and had a shop in the Arndale)  and a taxi company in Manchester so the name was already 'out there'.

The Culture Bunker

I've been really enjoying the music of synth-pop duo the Midnight recently, but that really is a pretty crap name to choose.

Bronzy

Dusty Substance

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 27, 2020, 01:05:44 AM
...or Jimmy Eat World.....

A perfect example for why giving your band a good name is so important. I've spent 20 odd years assuming Jimmy Eat World were a kind of light pop punk band in the vein of Blink 182 so when I asked a friend recently what she was listening to and she replied Jimmy Eat World, I was taken aback and asked "Aren't they a bit of a joke band?". She revealed that not only are they not a joke band, they're probably her favourite band. She later sent me a bunch of links to her favourite Jimmy Eat World tracks and I loved what I heard.

Still a bit of a shit name.

Also..... "Advice for new bands: When coming up with a band name, make sure it's acronym displayed really large on your artwork or t shirts won't be complicating matters. You're welcome." - https://www.nme.com/news/music/jimmy-eat-world-reveal-named-band-twitter-thread-2360699

Pingers

Quote from: buzby on April 27, 2020, 10:46:23 AM
People in Swindon proudly claim that Oasis named themselves after the swimming pool there.

After Liam replaced Chris Hutton as vocalist, he suggested that the band name be changed from the Rain to Oasis, after attending the April 1991 Inspiral Carpets 'Beast Inside' tour gig at the Oasis Leisure Centre in Swindon as a venue with Noel, who was a roadie for them
https://twitter.com/inspiralsband/status/1248355770334404608/photo/1
https://twitter.com/_Bands_FC/status/1177001687787159552/photo/1

The other story they have given is that Liam sawit on the Inspirals' Beast Inside tour poster, which they had on their bedreoom wall, but Noel has said that Liam was at the gig too. After going to see their first gig at the Boardwalk in August 1991, Noel then finagled his way into the band to use as an outlet for songs he had been writing.

Liam has admitted it was a shit name, but that it was also the name of a clothes shop in the Arndale (whether he meant the Oasis fashion chain is unclear, but it started in 1991 too and had a shop in the Arndale)  and a taxi company in Manchester so the name was already 'out there'.

There was an abandoned lot next to Affleck's Palace in the 90s that had a big sign saying Oasis over it, I always assumed it came from that.

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 28, 2020, 03:41:35 AM
A perfect example for why giving your band a good name is so important. I've spent 20 odd years assuming Jimmy Eat World were a kind of light pop punk band in the vein of Blink 182 so when I asked a friend recently what she was listening to and she replied Jimmy Eat World, I was taken aback and asked "Aren't they a bit of a joke band?". She revealed that not only are they not a joke band, they're probably her favourite band. She later sent me a bunch of links to her favourite Jimmy Eat World tracks and I loved what I heard.

Consider my hat fucked on this one. I had exactly the same attitude toward them as you and for the same reason.

Keebleman

Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark.  I was about 11 when they hit it big, but even so I was embarrassed for them.  "Oh God, I bet they think it's mysterious and intriguing."  I could imagine the proud discussions at chez McCluskey whenever relatives called.  "Do you know, Andy has started a pop group!"  "Ooh really, Andy, what's it called?"  "Well, he's called it Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark."  "Oh, that's a nice name!"

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Keebleman on April 28, 2020, 05:35:41 PM
Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark.  I was about 11 when they hit it big, but even so I was embarrassed for them.  "Oh God, I bet they think it's mysterious and intriguing."  I could imagine the proud discussions at chez McCluskey whenever relatives called.  "Do you know, Andy has started a pop group!"  "Ooh really, Andy, what's it called?"  "Well, he's called it Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark."  "Oh, that's a nice name!"
Well, the Liverpool scene of the time did enjoy their daft band names. I've a particular fondness for Cope and McCulloch's last band together before they found their lasting outfits, 'Uh?'

Clownbaby

There's a group called C.A.R. That someone mentioned to me and they're fucking not Google friendly. I don't think they're that successful but if you search C.A.R it just comes up with  vehicle cars, and ''C.A.R band'' comes up with The Cars. Stupid

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 28, 2020, 03:41:35 AM

I always had them down as a bit of a limp-wristed, slightly emo-y type band.  I've had another listen and they are.

You and your friend, and everyone else, should listen to more Helmet. 

flotemysost

Have we had Owl City yet? It sounds like a repetitive game you'd see someone playing on the bus, jabbing at their phone with a glazed expression.

Hoobastank.

Angels and Airwaves.

Starsailor. (I know it means astronaut, but that name also, to my mind, has a particular sound that really fits a particular stable of bands/artists from that era, the kind of bands you'd expect to hear piped into a changing room in Next in 2003).

Egyptian Feast

Not exactly successful bands (and you can maybe see why) but there were some shockers on the Nuggets sets I had on shuffle earlier. A small selection:

The Vejtables
Teddy and His Patches
Frumious Bandersnatch
Fifty Foot Hose
Kak
Limey and The Yanks
Fapardokly
The Yellow Payges
London Phogg
The Everpresent Fullness
Ken and The Fourth Dimension

OK, that last one is great.

Pingers

Quote from: Captain Crunch on April 28, 2020, 10:48:51 PM
I always had them down as a bit of a limp-wristed, slightly emo-y type band.  I've had another listen and they are.

You and your friend, and everyone else, should listen to more Helmet.

Everyone needs to listen to more Helmet. Including me!

famethrowa

Not a band name, but someone played me some Amanda Marshall song lately. She's good and everything, but for some reason the blandness of her name instantly made me say "has she not heard of the concept of a stage name?" As the Best Show chaps might say, it sounds like a character from an Elvis movie.

It's a shame Jerry Jamrag and the Afterbirths weren't successful so I could mention them.

Same goes for Frank Xerox and the Copycats and Brent Ford and the Nylons.

Marner and Me

Bowling for Soup. File next to Less than Jake.