Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:11:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brian Dennehy dies 81, he was bloody rude to John Rambo

Started by Bazooka, April 16, 2020, 11:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

He was good in a biopic of serial killer John Wayne Gacy.  I also remember his turn as the nasty police chief who provokes Vietnam vet Rambo into a fit of armed violence.

bgmnts

Looking at that still with him ans James Woods, he was a big old unit wasn't he? I don't remember that in Rambo.

lovely and charming as the bartender chatting with Dudley Moore in '10'

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 17, 2020, 01:08:54 AM
He was good in a biopic of serial killer John Wayne Gacy.  I also remember his turn as the nasty police chief who provokes Vietnam vet Rambo into a fit of armed violence.

Brian *shuffles* off this mortal coil

RIP - one of my favourite actors

lipsink

Aw that's sad. Played Cops a lot, didn't he? He just had that quality. I wonder if he holds the record for playing Cops in films.

Bad Ambassador

One of my favourite examples of against-type casting. Known for playing burly, menacing types like the sheriff in First Blood - so let's have him play a nice alien in Cocoon (although he's meant to seem threatening until you know who he is).

"Face-eating, Jack? Is that a speciality around here?"

sovietrussia

There wouldn't be no trouble except for that king shit cop!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I remember a time in my youth when it seemed like every late night film on ITV would star him.

Did he ever appear in anything with Stacy Keach? That'd be like The Expendables of ubiquitous old bloke actors.

Ignatius_S

Sad news - always found Dennehy to be very watchable and some interesting roles. Some nice ones have been mentioned - and will second the mention of Gacy, an incredibly scary performance. He was the lead in The Belly of an Architect, which was one of the first Greenway films I saw and was interesting to contrast that at the time, with the other things I had seen him in.

His theatre work was rather impressive...

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 17, 2020, 03:06:43 PM...Did he ever appear in anything with Stacy Keach? That'd be like The Expendables of ubiquitous old bloke actors.

My gut feeling was surely they must have... and they did! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0z55kBJ7gw

Also, I found this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-nDNY7E_p4 - both appeared in a Broadway revival of Love Letters with a rotating cast. Brian Dennehy starred with Mia Farrow, then with Carol Burnett - according to Wikipedia, Dennehy appeared in an earlier production with Carol Burnett, and Sissy Spacek.

I remember when he appeared in Baz Luhrmann's William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and I said: "Is that that guy from Rambo?"

petercussing

Quote from: WestHill on April 17, 2020, 03:01:07 PM
First thought that came to mind.

Bears, Hawks, Sox, Bulls.

It only came to mind as i was walking like my cock hurts

I remember when a heroin-crazed Brian Dennehy burst through Heaven's door and punched Jesus right in the solar plexus.

BlodwynPig

Has F/X been mentioned - greatest film that John Nettles as Bergerac should have starred in alongside the two Brian's

Bazooka

F/X ha bizzare film, should remake it but practical effects are replaced with holographic CGI.

The Bumlord

Quote from: Ignatius_S on April 17, 2020, 04:42:22 PMHe was the lead in The Belly of an Architect

You get to see his little cock in that too iirc.

RIP Brian and his penis.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Bazooka on April 17, 2020, 10:58:24 PM
F/X ha bizzare film, should remake it but practical effects are replaced with holographic CGI.

F/X 2 as well, superb...might have to have a rewatch (and then Bergerac re-re-watch).

Blumf

Quote from: Bazooka on April 17, 2020, 10:58:24 PM

The whole film would just be them foiling the bad guys by pushing render farm server racks on to them.

beanheadmcginty

Love the "animatronic" clown in F/X 2 that is clearly just a child/dwarf in a clown suit.

dissolute ocelot

He was great in Best Seller (1987) but it's a shame I can't take James Woods the slightest bit seriously for so many reasons.