Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:22:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dune (2020)

Started by Dex Sawash, April 17, 2020, 03:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Quote from: Blumf on September 08, 2020, 04:39:59 PM
Was that the plan? Splitting the first book into two parts?

Yeah, it's planned as 2 films, no indication other novels included

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: surreal on September 08, 2020, 05:49:35 PM
Yeah, it's planned as 2 films, no indication other novels included

Be interesting to see how that goes - if it does well unanimously with critics but has a pretty shit box office a la Blade Runner 2049, will the second film get the go-ahead?

greenman

The second half to be rotocoped, nobody wearing any trousers.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: greenman on September 08, 2020, 06:24:02 PM
The second half to be rotocoped, nobody wearing any trousers.

OR

or...

Andy Serkis in his ping pong ball zentai suit playing every single character and creature. 

brat-sampson

Trailer!

Sand! Worms! Floyd! Pain! ImustnotfearfearisthemindkillerfearisthelittledeaththatbringstotalobliterationIwillfacemyfearIwillallowittopassovermeandthroughmeandwhenithasgonepastIwillturntheinnereyetoseeitspathwherethefearhasgonetherewillbenothingonlyIwillremain!

Glebe

Never read the book and only ever seen bits of the David Lynch adap, but I like what I'm seeing there. Could have done without the song though maybe.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Glebe on September 09, 2020, 05:52:40 PM
Could have done without the song though maybe.

Agreed.  Hopefully it's just for the trailer.

Otherwise, I think I'm going to be seeing that at the cinema.  Looks great.

Bad Ambassador

Everything the colour of turds.

Glebe

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 09, 2020, 06:02:13 PMAgreed.  Hopefully it's just for the trailer.

I would imagine so, like 'Something in the Way' in the The Batman trailer (surely?).

Shit Good Nose

I'll accept it if it's used during the end credits.  Like RIGHT AT THE END of the end credits when I've already left the cinema.  Unless the lights have stayed down and everyone's got to wait around for the "hilarious" Stan Lee cameo stinger.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on September 09, 2020, 06:02:26 PM
Everything the colour of turds.

Christ, yes. Can't believe how flat, dull, grey and boring it all looks.

Blumf

As much as I like a bit of Floyd, nope to that music.

The wife really isn't getting along with that Paul actor fella at all, saying he doesn't carry the right air of assuredness tempered with naivety. She does like a nice bit of Kyle MacLachlan though. But I think she has a point.

Not a massive fan of those shield effects myself, but I loved the effect used in the Lynch film, those big blocky things are awesome.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The desert seems to have had a rectal prolapse at the end there.

Bence Fekete

Bored of the Rings IV: The return of the return of the boy and the giant sand anus

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Glebe on September 09, 2020, 05:52:40 PM
Could have done without the song though maybe.

It's a nod to the Jodorowsky version intended to be scored by Pink Floyd, isn't it?

wooders1978

I'm excited but fuck going to the cinema I'm afraid, not coz of Covid, coz of humans

Glebe

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on September 09, 2020, 11:17:48 PMIt's a nod to the Jodorowsky version intended to be scored by Pink Floyd, isn't it?

Really? Interestin'.

Quote from: wooders1978 on September 10, 2020, 07:31:01 AMI'm excited but fuck going to the cinema I'm afraid, not coz of Covid, coz of humans

Yeah I've been mullin' over going to Tenet, but I'm a bit reticent about it. The mixed responses to it have kind of made up my mind.

NoSleep

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on September 09, 2020, 11:17:48 PM
It's a nod to the Jodorowsky version intended to be scored by Pink Floyd, isn't it?

And Tangerine Dream, too.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on September 09, 2020, 11:17:48 PM

Quote from: NoSleep on September 10, 2020, 10:54:41 AM
And Tangerine Dream, too.

Yep, but it was (/they were) supposed to be a new score purely for the film, not doing one of those awful Donnie Darko type breathy rehashes of an old song.  Even as a nod it's very ropey (caveat - big Pink Floyd fan who was offended by the Scissor Sisters' cover of Comfortably Numb).

NoSleep

Wasn't Jodorowsky's goal for the film that it would change the world?

Dex Sawash

evilcommiedictator

Finally dawned on me today that they're going to end the film around Paul drinking the water of life, which means there's going to be a lot of worldbuilding (good) and in theory, a lot of Jessica, who is strangely quiet in the trailer.

Paul, dreaming after drinking the water of life, sees the future, the Mua'Dib Jihad, endless slaughter amongst the stars, and knows he must stop it

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: NoSleep on September 10, 2020, 11:23:56 AM
Wasn't Jodorowsky's goal for the film that it would change the world?

Yep, but I think he said that about Tusk as well, soooo..............

By any chance, was AJ on a (holy) mountain of drugs when he said that?

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 10, 2020, 02:24:04 PM
Yep, but I think he said that about Tusk as well, soooo..............
You're thinking of Kevin Smith. Easy mistake to make.

Bad Ambassador

This is going to suffer the same way that Ralph Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings did - the publicity is not making it clear this is only the first half of the story, and when it suddenly stops halfway through, people will be annoyed. Jackson at least made it very clear his version of TLotR was a trilogy, with only a year between instalments. How long until Dune Continued?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on September 10, 2020, 02:48:35 PM
This is going to suffer the same way that Ralph Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings did - the publicity is not making it clear this is only the first half of the story, and when it suddenly stops halfway through, people will be annoyed. Jackson at least made it very clear his version of TLotR was a trilogy, with only a year between instalments. How long until Dune Continued?

I think the difference is that part 2 (of Dune) has not yet had the go-ahead (although I'm not sure if that's because they're waiting to see the reaction to part 1 or not), whereas all three LOTRs were greenlit as one single project.

Tl;dr - if Dune does badly, there won't be a part 2.

NoSleep

Peter Jackson actually presented LOTR as two films and was pleasantly surprised by the go-ahead for a trilogy. They were filmed as a single project, in production for the entire trilogy.

Blumf

You'd think they'd do both parts in one run. For starters, wouldn't push up costs as much as two separate productions. And even if part 1 flops, you'll still get tickets for part 2, and DVD/streaming sales.

In comparison, if part 1 flops now, who's going to buy the discs/streaming for an unfinished story?

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on September 10, 2020, 02:48:35 PM
It didn't hurt the last two Avengers films, although that was not entirely the same situation, admittedly.

I've only seen the Lynch version and I can't remember what happened halfway through, but I would expect any screenwriter worth their salt could wrap up the first film in a way that doesn't feel too abrupt. The logical point would be with
Spoiler alert
the fall of House Attreides, setting up Paul as the hero of the second half
[close]

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 10, 2020, 04:41:08 PM
I've only seen the Lynch version and I can't remember what happened halfway through

Cos you switched it off and watched Alien 3 instead.