Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:26:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dune (2020)

Started by Dex Sawash, April 17, 2020, 03:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 10, 2020, 04:46:24 PM
Cos you switched it off and watched Alien 3 instead.
Not on your nelly, or my telly.

New page Baron Harkonenn.

samadriel

buzby

Nice to see Villeneuve casting Dave Bautista again - he was ace in the small part he had in BR2049 so it's good to see him get a bigger role.

Mister Six

Yep, that was my first reaction - thank god Bautista is getting some work outside of shit action-comedy roles. I was delighted by his turn in BR 2049, and am looking forward to this one too.

Actually the whole cast is mint. The only things that are giving me pause are the dogshit/concrete colour grading (this was the one chance Hollywood had to justify using orange/teal) and the fact that they haven't committed to a second part, although I think this is probably going to bomb in any case - too weird, too humourless, too alien for the kind of audiences you need to make up a big-budget sci-fi epic (unless somehow it just didn't cost that much, but surely not everyone is working to scale?).

Quote from: Blumf on September 10, 2020, 04:32:46 PM
You'd think they'd do both parts in one run. For starters, wouldn't push up costs as much as two separate productions. And even if part 1 flops, you'll still get tickets for part 2, and DVD/streaming sales.

In comparison, if part 1 flops now, who's going to buy the discs/streaming for an unfinished story?

It costs more than just making one film, though. And Hollywood isn't famous for its long-term thinking.

chveik

Sin Agog

My dad once got a tattoo of the name of his homewrecker girlfriend June on his arse.  When she finally called it off with him after he cut her hair off in the middle of the night in a fit of jealous rage, I opined that the J could easily be tweaked into a capital D and he could pass himself off as a Dune fan to anyone who happened upon his bare arse.  He took my advice and tweaked the tat.  To this day he's never read the Dune books (I think the only two books he's ever read are Papillon and Stark by Ben Elton).

Sin Agog

Quote from: chveik on September 11, 2020, 02:59:07 PM
even that Chalamet lad?

I know a lot of people were utterly nonplussed by Call Me By Your Name (not me), and he did play a bit of an aloof, bratty cunt in it, which seems to be his stock in trade, but he still got me going in that last shot where he cried himself back into being an emotional hu-mon again.  (Just realised I wrote this post in between taking bites of a juicy peach...)

Shit Good Nose

I thought Call Me By Your Name was massively overrated, but thought he was very good in it.  He's also good in Lady Bird, The King, Miss Stevens and Beautiful Boy, and I'm told by several mates that he's by far the best thing about A Rainy Day In New York (which I've not seen).  In fact I don't think I've seen him give a bad performance.  He could be criticised for always playing bratty teenagers I guess, but that doesn't preclude him from being a decent young actor.

kitsofan34

Quote from: Mister Six on September 11, 2020, 02:33:22 PM
(unless somehow it just didn't cost that much, but surely not everyone is working to scale?).

My high end sources (wikipedia) state that the budget is 200 million dollars.

Mister Six

I thought they hadn't released the budget yet?

So it'll have to make $400 million at least to break even. Fucking hell.

I think I'll risk a venting to see this in the cinema, but I'm not holding out hope for a sequel, and I do wish the studio had been foolish enough to film the rest of the story back-to-back.

Dropshadow

Fans of the Dune books will no doubt be pleased to hear that, yet again, Herbert's idiot son and the tragically ubiquitous Kevin J. Anderson are writing a new trilogy for imminent release. Really imminent. "Dune: The Duke of Caladan", the first one, will be available to buy next month; it's already on Amazon for pre-order. It's probably a coincidence, of course, that the new film is just weeks away from being shown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Caladan_Trilogy#The_Caladan_Trilogy

I look forward to reading all the appreciative Amazon reviews.

Head Gardener

mjwilson

Quote from: Dropshadow on September 11, 2020, 11:56:09 PM
Fans of the Dune books will no doubt be pleased to hear that, yet again, Herbert's idiot son and the tragically ubiquitous Kevin J. Anderson are writing a new trilogy for imminent release. Really imminent. "Dune: The Duke of Caladan", the first one, will be available to buy next month; it's already on Amazon for pre-order. It's probably a coincidence, of course, that the new film is just weeks away from being

pulled from cinemas and delayed until 2021

Mister Six

Just reading the first Dune book now and enjoying it. I picked up the third one at a second-hand bookshop. Is it just the first three that are decent, or is it worth finishing all the Frank Herbert ones? I know the ones by his son are supposed to be a bit naff.

Dex Sawash

Re-watched the Lynch 1984 one. Since Paul made it
Spoiler alert
rain
[close]
did all the worms
Spoiler alert
drown
[close]
?

Blumf

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 15, 2020, 09:44:08 PM
Re-watched the Lynch 1984 one. Since Paul made it
Spoiler alert
rain
[close]
did all the worms
Spoiler alert
drown
[close]
?

In the books, he didn't make it rain straight off like that, but eventually, Arrakis was moistened up.

Spoiler alert
And yes, that killed of the worms. Just one left that they move to another planet. Didn't do the Fremen much good ether
[close]

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Mister Six on September 15, 2020, 09:22:59 PM
Just reading the first Dune book now and enjoying it. I picked up the third one at a second-hand bookshop. Is it just the first three that are decent, or is it worth finishing all the Frank Herbert ones? I know the ones by his son are supposed to be a bit naff.

Keep going until you get bored basically. There's a bigger overarching story that never gets told (by the original author anyway), the first three deal with Paul and his decisions, the fourth with his son, and the next two with the universe they changed.
(IMO) The universe set-up books by the son start off OK, a bit predictable, but screw up the transition into the Dune books, and the following books to finish the story are fairly trite, but they finish the story

Inspector Norse

I watched the trailer for this. Looked a bit bland, something you could never accuse Lynch's film of despite its other flaws.
And the music was ghastly wank.

Alberon

The books Herbert's son and that other gobshite wrote were utter wank. I read them to get an idea of where Herbert intended to go, but I'm not sure they even do that.

For all its many faults I like the Lynch film. I do hope the new film actually includes the central thread of the book, though, of Paul trying to avoid the future he sees. Based on Arrival and BR 2049 I'm reasonably hopeful for the film. I think I'll like it.

Which guarantees it will crash and burned and will never be finished.

greenman

Quote from: Alberon on September 16, 2020, 05:28:24 PM
The books Herbert's son and that other gobshite wrote were utter wank. I read them to get an idea of where Herbert intended to go, but I'm not sure they even do that.

For all its many faults I like the Lynch film. I do hope the new film actually includes the central thread of the book, though, of Paul trying to avoid the future he sees. Based on Arrival and BR 2049 I'm reasonably hopeful for the film. I think I'll like it.

Which guarantees it will crash and burned and will never be finished.

The opening of the trailer does seem to hint a bit at that.

The original books to me always made the Buitlerian Jihad sound like some kind of luddite like revolution rather than a war against sentient machines, what little I'v read of those latter day books was terrible written compared to the originals.

I wouldn't be surprised if the notes Hebert left said "write more books" and nothing else.

Mister Six

For all its many faults I like the Lynch film. I do hope the new film actually includes the central thread of the book, though, of Paul trying to avoid the future he sees.

They're only doing the first half of the first book, apparently, so I imagine that stuff is going to come fairly close to the end of the flick.

NoSleep

I do hope the new film actually includes the central thread of the book, though, of Paul trying to avoid the future he sees.

He can see many (all?) possible futures and is forging a path through them.

Blumf

He sees the path he needs to take, but can not bring himself to do it.

samadriel

Quote from: greenman on September 16, 2020, 05:46:28 PM
The original books to me always made the Buitlerian Jihad sound like some kind of luddite like revolution rather than a war against sentient machines,
Yes, I always thought Herbert chose the term "Jihad" rather than "war" because Jihad can mean an inner struggle to maintain holiness -- the Butlerian Jihad wasn't some bullshit shooting war against a bunch of evil robots, it was the struggle for humans to be stronger, and  transcend reliance on thinking machines to do everything for us. I could be forgetting some explicit references to evil robots in Frank's work, but I just don't think he was such a basic bitch, unlike his son.

NoSleep

Quote from: samadriel on September 17, 2020, 04:59:56 PM
Yes, I always thought Herbert chose the term "Jihad" rather than "war" because Jihad can mean an inner struggle to maintain holiness -- the Butlerian Jihad wasn't some bullshit shooting war against a bunch of evil robots, it was the struggle for humans to be stronger, and  transcend reliance on thinking machines to do everything for us. I could be forgetting some explicit references to evil robots in Frank's work, but I just don't think he was such a basic bitch, unlike his son.

Yeah, "jihad" can just as easily be used to describe one's struggle to give up tobacco or such.

beanheadmcginty

I hope the lads from Tremors turn up in this at some point.

Dex Sawash

Guy at work watched the Lynch one since he saw me watching it.
"Why do you like that movie"
I don't really.
"Which parts do you like"
Uhhh, I can list the things I don't like.

Hand Solo

Are you tripping? (like one of the extras in the next scene)

The whole Guild Navigator sequence is briliant, and not even from the book.

NoSleep

Quote from: Blumf on September 17, 2020, 10:50:51 AM
He sees the path he needs to take, but can not bring himself to do it.

Yeah, he bottles out and leaves it up to his son.

greenman

Quote from: samadriel on September 17, 2020, 04:59:56 PM

There were some references to the threat of A.I. in the future, visions that humanity would be destroyed by "ixian claws" if the golden path wasn't followed and the idea the scattering elements were being pushed back by some outside threat. I suspect the prequels took this basic idea and reconed this threat into the return of already defeated machines but as you say it really belittles the original concept.