Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:58:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dune (2020)

Started by Dex Sawash, April 17, 2020, 03:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

All Surrogate

Quote from: Hand Solo on September 21, 2020, 01:47:55 AM
Are you tripping? (like one of the extras in the next scene)

The whole Guild Navigator sequence is briliant, and not even from the book.

Indeed. The German dub sounds cool too. Wir kommen direkt von der Ix, quer durch den Weltraum.

Dex Sawash

Release delayed until October 2021

evilcommiedictator

This is due to it needing to make a lot of money, and it can't during the 'Vid, right? *whimpers quietly*

amoral

Fucking hell, another year?? What makes them think anything will be better by then? They'll just have to keep delaying it. Might as well sell it to Amazon or Netflix.

samadriel

Dammit, cinemas are safely open in my corner of the planet, i was hoping I'd get to see Dune this year. What a wait.

Quote from: Hand Solo on September 21, 2020, 01:47:55 AM
Are you tripping? (like one of the extras in the next scene)

The whole Guild Navigator sequence is briliant, and not even from the book.

The one thing tripping in this scene is the bloke on the left around 3:12

wooders1978

A whole fucking year - fucking hell!

Dropshadow

It's probably been postponed because it's not very good. That's what I'm telling myself.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the trailers for Lynch's version and this one:

https://youtu.be/CcZPZGq3Zy8

Hand Solo

How important is editing? Obviously it's important but when you've got a tightly scripted film as I imagine this must have been to have gone ahead already with a series of novels and a previous fucking film attempt and TV series with most of the rest being cgi fare interlinking scenes, what is the delay going to accomplish? To do the cgi better, or to storyboard or re-shoot more scenes to pad it out to a better conclusion? When it's only the first of a two-parter which must have been planned out years ahead, it doesn't bode well.

Mister Six

Are they not just delaying it for the same reason Bond et al are delayed - a global pandemic that is ravaging cinema revenues and has already twatted Christopher Nolan's Tenet into the ground?

phantom_power

Yeah I think at the moment, given no other evidence or even rumour, that it is just a pandemic thing. I assume they have delayed it a whole year because that period between the summer blockbusters and Christmas films is when cerebral sci-fi films do best at the box office. That or they are predicting a longer fuckdown of cinemas due to the lack of vaccine

SavageHedgehog

How do you not move it to June? Even if you delay it again you could have one poster that says "this June is Dune" or "coming 5th Dune 2021" or something equally awesome we could hang on the wall of our hearts forever.

Dex Sawash

Dex Sawash

Shows up on hbomax as "coming in October"

evilcommiedictator

Villenue is fucking annoyed that they're going the streaming option, says that will probably kill any chance of the second half sequel being made as it'll be uneconomical

greenman

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on October 07, 2020, 08:34:24 AM
How do you not move it to June? Even if you delay it again you could have one poster that says "this June is Dune" or "coming 5th Dune 2021" or something equally awesome we could hang on the wall of our hearts forever.

"When Chirtsmas isn't far be ready for your Gom Jabbar"

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on April 24, 2021, 06:51:27 AM
Villenue is fucking annoyed that they're going the streaming option, says that will probably kill any chance of the second half sequel being made as it'll be uneconomical
As if it was going to be economical otherwise.

peanutbutter

I'm not a fan of Villaneuve at all but I would have to imagine even people who like him would say his version of Dune is highly likely to suffer hugely being streamed at home.

If it's a film that relies on the spectacle being so impressive that it breaks even via word of mouth, it's gonna die on its arse streaming.

You can't truly appreciate how fat the baron is, unless you see the film in 8K Imax.

DrGreggles

Can't see this being any good without Terry Scott.

mothman

Quote from: greenman on April 24, 2021, 06:59:46 AM
"When Chirtsmas isn't far be ready for your Gom Jabbar"

"Enjoy CHOAM at home."

greenman

I'd imagine that Blade Runner 2049 probably did much better on home release comparatively than it did at the cinema.

Blumf

Quote from: mothman on April 24, 2021, 04:02:59 PM
"Enjoy CHOAM at home."

Sapho Juice Zero - All of the mind in motion, zero lip staining.

Quote from: greenman on April 24, 2021, 04:12:25 PM
I'd imagine that Blade Runner 2049 probably did much better on home release comparatively than it did at the cinema.
It could hardly fail to.

Still guff though.

Mister Six

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on April 24, 2021, 06:51:27 AM

Dunno about that. Given how obscure Dune is these days, and how weird it is too, I would have thought the opportunity for millions to watch it for (basically) free would give it a fighting chance of accumulating a sizeable audience who might not want to drop $15 on a cinema ticket each for something they might not like.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on April 25, 2021, 03:35:13 PM
Dunno about that. Given how obscure Dune is these days, and how weird it is too, I would have thought the opportunity for millions to watch it for (basically) free would give it a fighting chance of accumulating a sizeable audience who might not want to drop $15 on a cinema ticket each for something they might not like.

Agreed.  This film was always doomed to bomb at the box office (given that Blade Runner 2049 bombed, I don't see what chance an adaptation of Dune ever had - your average cinema goer isn't going to rush to see a political science fiction story).   The film dropping on streaming at the same time as its cinema release can only increase its slim chances of making a profit.

Pinball

The fan edit of original Dune has an extra 60 minutes and is great. I even have a 3D version :-)

I'd rather they ploughed new material than remake this, as it clearly will flop, and with TV series etc this has been thoroughly remade already. For some reasons the spice will be mined again and again though.

Pinball

willbo

I read Dune about 15 years ago and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I'd wanted to read it since I was about 12, knowing what an important sci fi novel it was, but I'd always put it off on hearing so much about how dry and political it supposedly was and trade/business focused. I was surprised at how much of a non stop action/adventure thrill ride it turned out to be - yeah the political stuff is there, but only in service to the story. Obviously the sequels went slower and more cerebral. I've always thought a version of Dune that leans on the action/adventure, character arc side of the story had potential to be a huge film.