Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:35:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dune (2020)

Started by Dex Sawash, April 17, 2020, 03:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakabaka

Quote from: Pinball on May 03, 2021, 11:45:21 AM
3-hour fan edit anyone? :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJykw3H4PDw
Just grabbed the piratical torrent of this - 5.6Gb in 20 minutes! Fastest thing I've ever downloaded by a factor of ten at least!

I've not watched it since it first came out so I'm looking forward to a 'new' improved version while we wait for this year's[nb]is it next year's yet?[/nb] version.

mothman

Is there a list of what's different in this fan version? Because I downloaded the TV version with the "illustrated" prologue and it was unwatchable.

bakabaka

Quote from: mothman on May 03, 2021, 04:49:20 PM
Is there a list of what's different in this fan version? Because I downloaded the TV version with the "illustrated" prologue and it was unwatchable.
In the description of the youtube above. This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJykw3H4PDw

I've watched the first 15 minutes and the 'illustrated' prologue isn't there.

mothman

Hmm. Thanks! And a full download can be obtained (not that I'd ever countenance nor condone it, of course)?

bakabaka

Quote from: mothman on May 03, 2021, 06:05:59 PM
Hmm. Thanks! And a full download can be obtained (not that I'd ever countenance nor condone it, of course)?
I wouldn't know, officer.

mothman

Spoiler alert
Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You
[close]
Yes, truly it is a mystery, and a sad reflection on these troubled times we find ourselves living in. I feel moved to add some somber black flair to this post, in memoriam for lost innocence.
Spoiler alert
Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You
[close]

bakabaka

This appeared at the end of the trailer in one of those "Top 10 SF trailers for 2021" things.

I'm guessing the trailer was intended for India, not the US as the Youtube account implied. Or are they trying really, really hard to make sure it bombs?

greenman

I would say the ironic thing about the Lynch version is that the studio interference arguably made it more of a Lynch film than it might otherwise have been. I believe the main factor was forcing him to make a cut just over 2 hours long rather than his intended 3 but he had a high degree of freedom over what was actually in the cut. Most of the extra material in the TV version really is more mundane, adding detail to the setting were as the theatrical version is willing to leave that more mysterious and mainly focuses on building up tone.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: bakabaka on June 02, 2021, 06:44:16 PM
I'm guessing the trailer was intended for India, not the US as the Youtube account implied. Or are they trying really, really hard to make sure it bombs?

ONLY IN CINEMAS in India, can't see any issues with that, tickets'll be going like hot cakes I bet

elliszeroed

New trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g18jFHCLXk

Not sure about the humour, or Timothy C. as Paul - he looks far too small, weak. But this looks great. I reckon this will be the first movie I see in the cinema in... two years.

mothman

Paul is meant to be about 14 at the start isn't he? So not that physically different. But then he grows up, which Timmy has presumably done all of that he's going to, so a slight problem, likely easily solved by them never making part 2...

elliszeroed

Yeah, I doubt a Part 2 (or II) is ever going to happen. But then, even if it had been released on the original date, I doubt it would have happened.

Edit: Also, i don't recognise any of the dialogue from the book in the trailer.

Dex Sawash

The trailer look ok aside from the cgi face shield opening at the end. Maybe that'll get cleaned up.

PlanktonSideburns

Looks like avatar brown edition

Dex Sawash

checkoutgirl

Quote from: elliszeroed on July 24, 2021, 09:51:05 AM
Timothy C. as Paul - he looks far too small, weak.

He looks like a 14 year old boy and a weedy one at that. McLachlan looked like a young man at the start and slightly more war hardened by the end of the film. Maybe they'll use CGI or something to make Timothy looked tougher by the end of this film.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 24, 2021, 12:51:31 PM
The trailer look ok aside from the cgi face shield opening at the end. Maybe that'll get cleaned up.
Considering it was meant to be released last year, I can't imagine it'll have any more time (and money) spent on polishing it up now.

As I said in the Marvel thread, I'm really not on board with the attempts at humour. Hopefully they're just some alternative takes that aren't in the finished film.

Blumf

Apparently they showed 10-20 mins preview of it in a few cinemas. This Youtuber, who's been pretty good on all things Dune for years, liked it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3AebSwseNI (hour long reaction thing)

Some of his points: Visuals and audio are great (looks like Imax may be the way to see it), seems like they really nailed the sound design. Not all dull brown, Caladan was quite colourful, for example. A lot of the cast work well with their roles. They seem to be walking the line between full on true to the novel, whilst still making accessible to the general public (so hopefully, the humour bit we saw in the trailer aren't going to ruin it. Herbert's never been much for levity, so maybe it'll round characters out a bit)

I don't know how much stock I put in that guy's excited fan boy reaction there, but it does raise my hope somewhat.

willbo

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 24, 2021, 01:18:26 PM
He looks like a 14 year old boy and a weedy one at that. McLachlan looked like a young man at the start and slightly more war hardened by the end of the film. Maybe they'll use CGI or something to make Timothy looked tougher by the end of this film.

he is supposed to be a boy of that age in the book I think. I thought both Kyle and the guy in the scifi version looked way too old.

greenman

I tend to think a  problem a lot of films have had selling some cultish property in recent years(Tron, Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell) is that they assume the audience already knows it. All the trailers for Dune really seem like they are depending on people picking up on characters/situations they already know were as what the actually setting is really remains a mystery and the whole thing a little generic.

It probably doesnt help that trailers end up being shown to fan fest kind of situations were viewers will um and ah at the correct moments but really these people are going to see the film anyway. Its the person who knows fuck all about Dune they should be targetting and showing something unique about the film like really building up the sand worms.

I remember by comparison Fellowship of the Ring really focused in on "Hobbit has found evil ring, nasties chase him", not depending on the audience knowing Tolkien dispite Lord of the Rings being more popular than any of the above.

Alberon

Visually it looks fantastic, some very good design choices I think, especially in the sandworms. Making the mouth look like a giant eye seems to work.

I'll spoiler the next bit, just in case there is anyone here who doesn't know the plot. I'm assuming the first (only?) film will cover up to the
Spoiler alert
fall of House Atreides and Paul joining the Fremen. It seems the battle with the Harkonnen/Sardaukar troops goes on much longer than the total quick rout it is in the book and Lynch's film.
[close]
It does seem a natural end point. The original book was released serially in Analog before being rewritten into a novel and the first big gap between the parts comes there.

It's not as simplistic or deliberately stupid as Avatar so it has no chance of success. It's best hope would have been as Game of Thrones style HBO show (but with better writers, obviously).

St_Eddie

Quote from: Alberon on July 24, 2021, 10:40:30 PM
Visually it looks fantastic, some very good design choices I think, especially in the sandworms. Making the mouth look like a giant eye seems to work.

Yes, an "eye".

*cough*

St_Eddie

Still, nice to see that Goatse is keeping himself busy.

Dex Sawash

Why are the worms such cunts?

Mr Trumpet

Why are they massive arseholes you mean

Mister Six

Quote from: Blumf on July 24, 2021, 07:03:42 PMhopefully, the humour bit we saw in the trailer aren't going to ruin it. Herbert's never been much for levity, so maybe it'll round characters out a bit

Honestly, the Dune books are a bunch of great ideas and some good worldbuilding dragged down by boring characters, flat prose and a total absence of humanity and humour, so that bit in the trailer augurs well for me. And the fan reaction is ridiculous, acting like it's a Marvelesque bit of broad, gurning wisecrackery when it's a pretty muted bit of character humour that also serves to establish a bunch of stuff about Paul, Duncan and their relationship.

And yeah, Paul's supposed to be 14 in the original book, so TimChal looking young and a bit scrawny is about right. He was supposed to be a decent fighter, though, right? I suppose being wiry doesn't preclude being able to swing a knife about.

Bad Ambassador

https://www.darkhorizons.com/dune-gets-an-ensemble-cast-poster/

Absolutely awful new poster. It's starting to look like WB is trying to tank this on purpose.

SweetPomPom

That is absolute dogshit. It's not even a poster, barely a jpeg.
The original Lynch teaser nailed it (before the horror of the 84 theatrical release poster which is also dogshit.)

All the talent and credits behind the camera too.

kalowski