Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:31:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dune (2020)

Started by Dex Sawash, April 17, 2020, 03:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evilcommiedictator

Paul seeing a multitude of futures and exploring each path where they all lead to the Jihad sounds hard to do in a movie, but of course you can just have him seeing a series of short visual cuts of events all leading to it as well, but that's for the second movie by the sounds of it, as some online are claiming that it'll end after the Jamis fight

Fry

Just finished reading the book for the first time, I loved it. I imagine this is an incredibly trite observation, but its hilarious how ripped off its been over the pas 60ish years. Like, I always thought it was kind of weird that Star Wars went the magic, feudal route with its sci fi universe -i suppose he just ripped off a book he liked. I guess Lucas' stupid racist aliens are pretty cool though, but not as cool as
Spoiler alert
Arab lads surfing massive fucking worms.
[close]

Anyway, its a great book thats ripe for adaption. There are like 10 chapters that can just be transplanted whole cloth into the movie and work really well.  Looking forward to it.

willbo

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on August 12, 2021, 02:16:46 PM

"If people think they're getting a complete movie, don't you think they'll be confused and pissed off when it just stops halfway through? Don't you think that'll translate into bad word of mouth and low box office?

having read Dune, the point they're planning to stop this first film on is a natural end point IMO, not really a cliffhanger, more like the end of the first film in a series. In fact, the novel we know as Dune is a compilation of the original 3 short novels.

greenman

Two rather than three isnt it, the book split on the divide between them.

willbo

Quote from: greenman on August 26, 2021, 10:03:18 AM
Two rather than three isnt it, the book split on the divide between them.

wow, I remember it having three parts, I must have got confused.

peanutbutter

Reviews for this seem to be rolling in now, they seem to be about what I expected from a quick glance (i.e. mostly very positive but nothing to suggest it won't subvert or exceed my expectations).

Pinball

The 4K remaster of original Dune (1984) came out 30th August, which I have. It has the 136 minute version of the film, which is disappointing as the fan edit including all available additional scenes and footage is 178 minutes. However it does have 15 deleted scenes which I'm sure add up... But a shame they couldn't have gone that additional step to give us as complete a version as possible. I'm sure a new fan edit will arrive soon :-)

Personally, if you want to have the full experience of Dune from the first movie, I'd recommend this:

https://goggler.my/dune-the-alternative-edition-redux

As for the remake (and hopefully more), well we'll see. I have a much less maligned view of the original due to the awesome fan edit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK5eoV93oyg

Mister Six

IIRC, Lynch has resisted any further edits to the film.

13 schoolyards

That fanedit really is a big improvement. I watched it a decade or so after I'd last seen the original and came away thinking "wow, the original must be a lot better than I remember if a fanedit is that good", only to check out the original and... yeah.

Alberon

Review of the new film in the Telegraph.

QuoteThis new adaptation of the 1965 Frank Herbert novel from Denis Villeneuve, the director of Arrival and Blade Runner 2049, is science-fiction at its most majestic, unsettling and enveloping. Watching it feels like wandering through some enormous, otherworldly structure built in honour of higher powers you've never heard of – and, from the look of the place, rather hope don't actually exist.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/dune-review-science-fiction-majestic-unsettling-enveloping/

In short, five out of five. He loved it.

And from the Guardian

QuoteDune reminds us what a Hollywood blockbuster can be. Implicitly, its message written again and again in the sand, Denis Villeneuve's fantasy epic tells us that big-budget spectaculars don't have to be dumb or hyperactive, that it's possible to allow the odd quiet passage amid the explosions. Adapted from Frank Herbert's 60s opus, Dune is dense, moody and quite often sublime – the missing link bridging the multiplex and the arthouse. Encountering it here was like stumbling across some fabulous lost tribe, or a breakaway branch of America's founding fathers who laid out the template for a different and better New World.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/sep/03/dune-review-denis-villenueve-venice-film-festival

In short, five out of five. He loved it.

And from the Independent

QuoteVilleneuve's Dune is the sandworm exploding out from the darkness below. It is a film of such literal and emotional largeness that it overwhelms the senses.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/dune-review-b1913870.html

In short, five out of five. She loved it.

It's still going to not make enough to get the second part made, but it looks like we can enjoy the half we will get.

Pinball

These reviews are very encouraging. Along with Foundation, Dune is one of those sci-fi epics I want to see properly adapted to movies, however hard that may be.

I feel a 3-hour re-watch of the BluRay fan edit coming on :-)

peanutbutter

I'd say the reviews read exactly like Denis Vilaneuve tends to get, vibes of "if you liked Arrival you'll like this"

phantom_power

Quote from: Alberon on September 04, 2021, 10:05:25 AM

It's still going to not make enough to get the second part made, but it looks like we can enjoy the half we will get.

I think the pandemic might raise the chances of the second part as no film is likely to make much money and so it is all a bit meaningless

elliszeroed

This will be the first film I've seen in the cinema since...Endgame?

And, if I like it, I'll see it three times if there's a chance of a sequel.

Quite interesting interview with Francesca Annis about Dune '84.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/dune-francesca-annis-interview-david-lynch-venice-1234824736/

"My experience of working on Dune was that if David Lynch had been able to make his own film, it would have been brilliant, but unfortunately Dino oversaw every single tiny thing. Dino was already thinking about the video sales. David had wanted to make the scenes very dark, all the underworlds very dark and look very sinister. Dino wouldn't allow it. It had to be lit brightly so that it would transfer well to video, where I think at that time things went down a shade. David and DoP Freddie Francis were constantly being hamstrung and I don't think David made the film he wanted to make."

surreal

Quote from: Alberon on September 04, 2021, 10:05:25 AM
In short, five out of five. She loved it.

I have seen some terrific reviews but also some really scathing ones - this is going to be very devisive I think.  Most have been on the positive side but then you get this from IndieWire:  https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/dune-review-denis-villeneuve-1234660459/

Also as a side note I'm not sure has been mentioned but the first of Hans Zimmer's 3(!) soundtrack albums for the movie released on Friday, it's on the streaming platforms now.  Called "The Dune Sketchbook" it's 1hr 40m of selected and expanded tracks from the official OST which is out on 17th September - then there is a third album to accompany the "Art and Soul of Dune" making-of book.  I think he turned down Tenet to do Dune, it's been his dream project to be able to score a Dune adaptation for years apparently.

Glebe

Dune Was Inspired By Director Denis Villeneuve's Grandmother And A Certain Star Wars Scene.

Quote"To [production designer] Patrice Vermette and all of the guys, I said, 'Guys, I would love for you to stay away as much as possible from internet, I would love you to meditate. I would love you to dream. I would like this movie to come from inside us, not from other influences outside. I would like us to find our own path into our mind to try to bring something.' We were very arrogant. We wanted to try to bring something new. There are been a lot of sci-fi movies made before us but ... one of the keys was nature. To try to be as close to nature as possible."

I like it!

Quote"When I saw the very first 'Star Wars' in 1977 my favorite scenes were the ones that felt the most natural," he said. "The one when we see the droids at the beginning — there was something about the strength of nature. I've been raised doing documentaries where nature is your most powerful eye and I try to bring that into 'Dune.' Strangely, I tried to do a sci-fi movie a bit like a documentary, using nature as a strong ally instead of fighting against it."

The Tatooine scenes are among my favourite in all of Star Wars, I always felt there was something homely and down-to-earth about them.

I've not read the book nor seen the Lynch adaptation, but this looks interesting - and the great reviews it seems to be getting are a very encouraging sign of course.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: surreal on September 05, 2021, 10:09:12 AM
I have seen some terrific reviews but also some really scathing ones - this is going to be very devisive I think.  Most have been on the positive side but then you get this from IndieWire:  https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/dune-review-denis-villeneuve-1234660459/

I believe it was the Indiewire review for Blade Runner 2049 where the guy reviewing it opened by saying the original was one of his favourite films of all time.  And then went on to heavily criticise 2049 for the blatant advertising........

greenman

Quote from: Pinball on September 03, 2021, 11:29:00 PM
The 4K remaster of original Dune (1984) came out 30th August, which I have. It has the 136 minute version of the film, which is disappointing as the fan edit including all available additional scenes and footage is 178 minutes. However it does have 15 deleted scenes which I'm sure add up... But a shame they couldn't have gone that additional step to give us as complete a version as possible. I'm sure a new fan edit will arrive soon :-)

Personally, if you want to have the full experience of Dune from the first movie, I'd recommend this:

https://goggler.my/dune-the-alternative-edition-redux

As for the remake (and hopefully more), well we'll see. I have a much less maligned view of the original due to the awesome fan edit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK5eoV93oyg

It does look supprising good in UHD, they are sposed to have redone a lot of the fades(which would probably be about 1/4 of the film or more given how munch lynch uses them) digitally which helps those shots alot as they'd be a generation higher on the master reel.

I do still feel that actually the standard cut was an improvement on the suggested longer versions. Almost all the extra footage I'v seen just tends to be rather clunky exposition from the book were as I think the standard cut whilst it has plenty of exposition does treat the viewer as somewhat more intelligent. Removing that footage and instead introducing more of those vision sequences I think was a definite improvement, the latter have a lot more drama to them even if there rather inexact.

Really I feel watching it again the main problem with that cut is simply that its too fast paced, it could do with about 15-20 mins more of building up a bit of atmosphere and character between events and exposition.

phantom_power

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 05, 2021, 06:06:43 PM
I believe it was the Indiewire review for Blade Runner 2049 where the guy reviewing it opened by saying the original was one of his favourite films of all time.  And then went on to heavily criticise 2049 for the blatant advertising........

I have only read a bit of the book but the criticisms in that review (Dune, not BR) seem to be a lot of things you could level at the source material as well

Hank Venture

Saw this yesterday without knowing much at all about the Dune universe. Really liked it. The criticisms of it seem to be that it's mostly world-building and exposition, which is true, but that does not really take away from the movie. It is done in a very entertaining fashion, so the fact that it cuts "before the plot really begins" (according to people who are familiar with the source material) doesn't really register -- I don't know what's coming in part 2, so how could I feel ripped off.

I even think they could have provided some more details regarding the world and how things work. For example, they have interstellar travel, magic technological shields, giant machinery and spacecraft, but still fight with swords -- why? You'd think they'd just use laser rifles or some such.

The acting is great, even by pretty boy Tim Tom Chalamet, the sets are great, the CGI is great, the world building was captivating. The time flew by. Will definitely be seeing part 2 if it comes out, and if it doesn't, the studios are idiots, because this was a great movie. Probably couldn't have been done better.

buzby

Quote from: Glebe on September 05, 2021, 06:02:58 PM
Dune Was Inspired By Director Denis Villeneuve's Grandmother And A Certain Star Wars Scene.
I think Villeneuve tries to  bring nature as an influence into most of his films. The look of BR2049's Los Angeles was greatly inspired by the winters in his native Montreal. He even brought Roger Deakins over during preproduction to show him the light of a Montreal winter so he could try and reproduce it onset.

I saw the trailer in IMAX over the weekend and it looked and sounded amazing, so I'll be back to see the film.

Old Nehamkin

buzby

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on September 20, 2021, 11:00:22 AM
Wait is this out?
It opened in 17 countries over the weekend - mainland Europe, Russia, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: buzby on September 20, 2021, 11:07:45 AM
It opened in 17 countries over the weekend - mainland Europe, Russia, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong

Ah ok, cheers.

samadriel

Quote from: Hank Venture on September 20, 2021, 10:18:49 AMFor example, they have interstellar travel, magic technological shields, giant machinery and spacecraft, but still fight with swords -- why? You'd think they'd just use laser rifles or some such.
From memory (and it's been decades) the shields cause a massive explosion or feedback or something if you hit them with laser fire, to the point where is safer for the attacker to attack a shielded person by hand. I guess they didn't have time to mention this in the movie?

Edit: I was right! https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Shield

They pushed Dune back to Dec 1 in Australia :( I could pirate it, but I really want to see it in the cinema. Oh well.

Mister Six

Yeah, basically it creates a mini nuclear explosion that would kill target, attacker, and a swathe of people nearby. It's a pretty big plot point, so I'm surprised they didn't mention it.

greenman

The shields are basically tech that renders almost all high tech weapons useless so quality of troops becomes the overriding factor for military success, nukes exist but theres a MAD like treaty were by anyone who uses them against enemies directly gets annihilated by everyone else.

I see the Asylum-style ripoff release is already out - DUNE WORLD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLWRqcVx0Cw

"Cult film-maker Mark Polonia", eh? Let's have a look at his filmography.

Exclusively mockbuster cash-in shite, then. It figures.

samadriel

Apart from the very original Jurassic Shark 2: Aquapocalypse.