Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:30:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dune (2020)

Started by Dex Sawash, April 17, 2020, 03:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hand Solo

Can't wait for this, my favourite is the "You want working on boy!" bit.

Blumf

Eeh, it's all pretty much 21st century default 'tactical' body armour. Don't hate it, but it's a long way from imaginative.

SavageHedgehog

Seems odd to me that they've cast Chalamet in the lead, isn't Paul supposed to be 15? I thought teenagers played by twentysomethings wasn't really done any more. I like him, but it's odd.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on April 21, 2020, 08:44:42 AM
At least it looks like they've put effort into the design of things
That'll make a nice change from Blade Runner 2049, then.

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on April 21, 2020, 09:31:41 AM
Seems odd to me that they've cast Chalamet in the lead, isn't Paul supposed to be 15? I thought teenagers played by twentysomethings wasn't really done any more. I like him, but it's odd.

J-Law was 21 when she played Katniss, who was supposed to be 16.

Besides, Dune is intended to be serious and grimdark. People unfamiliar with Dune would assume it was some Harry Potter bullshit if a kid was cast in lead.

VelourSpirit

I've had a feeling I'll end up preferring the production design of the 1984 one. I do like the photos so far but it doesn't really distinguish itself from other grey 2010s sci fi.
I thought 2049 was stunning though so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Phil_A

Quote from: Default to the negative on April 21, 2020, 02:12:26 PM
Besides, Dune is intended to be serious and grimdark. People unfamiliar with Dune would assume it was some Harry Potter bullshit if a kid was cast in lead.

Except the darker aspects are off-set by a veritable smorgasbord of outlandish concepts and bizarre ideas(especially when you get into the mad shit in the later books - just try reading the plot description of God Emperor Of Dune), which should open up the possibility of taking some fascinating creative directions with the material. This is something I think Jodorowsky understood, and Lynch did with Dune '84 to a lesser extent.

The kind of washed out, bleak look of these early pics doesn't really sell the idea of another Dune movie to me, it looks very sparse and low-key which would be the wrong way to go. Dune is a fucking weird book and I feel any adaptation should approach it from that angle. Go as weird as possible.

Alberon

For all the many, many faults in the film the actual design of Lynch's Dune is near perfect for me. Each faction has its own design ethics and it does look great.

It'll never ever happen, but I'd love to see a director's cut of that movie.

So lads, who is pronouncing the title of this film as 'Doon'?

phantom_power

Quote from: Alberon on April 22, 2020, 11:49:29 AM
For all the many, many faults in the film the actual design of Lynch's Dune is near perfect for me. Each faction has its own design ethics and it does look great.

It'll never ever happen, but I'd love to see a director's cut of that movie.

Have you seen the version with all the various deleted scenes re-inserted?

Alberon

Quote from: thelittlemango on April 22, 2020, 12:25:03 PM
So lads, who is pronouncing the title of this film as 'Doon'?

I have read this many many years ago. I think that's supposed to be a giant pretzel instead of a giant sandworm. That shows the general level of this parody.

Quote from: phantom_power on April 22, 2020, 02:16:49 PM
Have you seen the version with all the various deleted scenes re-inserted?

I do have it, but I haven't watched it all. Perhaps it's time to now.

Dropshadow

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on April 21, 2020, 08:44:42 AM
At least it looks like they've put effort into the design of things
https://collider.com/dune-movie-2020-images-hd/
https://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/dune-oscar-isaac-scaled.jpg

Fremen with no moisture-catching masks. They've put no effort whatsoever into the design of things. Harrumph! Harrumph!!

Dropshadow

Quote from: Alberon on April 22, 2020, 04:39:10 PM

I do have it, but I haven't watched it all. Perhaps it's time to now.

Seriously, don't. I've seen every version of Lynch's effort, including all the fan-edits that have been made and it gets worse with every "new" bit that's added. The secret, I think, would be to make a version that's shorter. Much shorter. It's just a bad film.

What are people's thoughts on the mini-series? I initially stayed away because of its obvious Syfy channel cheapness, but lately I've been thinking of giving it a chance. Seems to take a lot of visual cues from the Lynch film.

greenman

Quote from: Dropshadow on April 23, 2020, 08:52:47 PM
Fremen with no moisture-catching masks. They've put no effort whatsoever into the design of things. Harrumph! Harrumph!!

Looks like Bardem has one he's not wearing but the main function in the book is the nose tubes, breath in though the mouth and out though the nose.

Still not very much there showing designs of the wider setting.

samadriel

All Surrogate

Quote from: Default to the negative on April 23, 2020, 10:12:35 PM
What are people's thoughts on the mini-series? I initially stayed away because of its obvious Syfy channel cheapness, but lately I've been thinking of giving it a chance. Seems to take a lot of visual cues from the Lynch film.

It's bad. The actor playing Gurney Halleck is awful. The depiction of the Guild is laughable. The actor playing Paul is paste. Stupid hats for the Bene Gesserit.

The best thing in it is Ian McNiece as the Baron, and he's chewing the scenery. That, and Feyd with his shirt off.

NoSleep

Quote from: All Surrogate on April 24, 2020, 05:54:37 PM
The actor playing Gurney Halleck is awful.

The most entertaining part of the series. He is amazingly bad.

The TV series is kind of OK. At least it makes more sense of the narrative than Lynch's film (which is like an elongated "previously on Dune").

beanheadmcginty

Loved the portrayal of Gurney in the CD-ROM game.

Jim Bob

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 24, 2020, 06:50:24 PM
Loved the portrayal of Gurney in the CD-ROM game.

I guarantee that there's a strong crossover between people who like Dune and people who like Myst and people who smell of wee.

beanheadmcginty

Loved CD-ROM Gurney. Fucking hated Myst. Absolutely reek of piss. Stick that in the spreadsheet.

Dropshadow

Quote from: Default to the negative on April 23, 2020, 10:12:35 PM

Good. Much better than the film. There's two series', remember - Frank Herbert's Dune and Frank Herbert's Children of Dune. The second one is the best.

NoSleep

The most important thing about Lynch's film was his discovery of Kyle McLachlan as a result. The rest is cinema and TV history.

Quote from: Dropshadow on April 25, 2020, 10:24:58 AM
Good. Much better than the film. There's two series', remember - Frank Herbert's Dune and Frank Herbert's Children of Dune. The second one is the best.

Book SPOILERS ahoy -

It was Children of Dune I was thinking of watching. I found the book to be an absolute slog and largely a rehash of the first book: Leto is Paul 2.0, Wensicia is Shaddam 2.0., the Baron is brought back in a contrived way, there's more stuff about worm-riding and life in the sietches, etc. I gave up on Children of Dune halfway through, but I do want to read God Emperor because of its reputation as the craziest and possibly the best one. The TV adaption might be my bridge towards it.

rack and peanut

Gurney Halleck is a shit name, may as well be Belmy Craddock.

Duncan Idaho sounds like a potato fondue

Brad Dourif was good as Pieter in the Lynch film, haven't seen the TV ones.

I liked the first and second books and have read them a few times, not recently though. Ill probably watch this about a year after it comes out, modern hollywood sci fi kind of feels a bit... sterile and utilitarian, like they all shop at the same place? It feels like the age of austerity has had an effect on the big screen, the great houses are supposed to be all pomp and majesty, Lynch got the baroqueness right. I hope those soldiers are Atreides, can't see the Harkonnens kitting their troops out in expensive gear, I don't remember them as the types to give a shit about their soldiers.

Bence Fekete

For all it's faults Blade Runner 2049 had some decent design choices, both in looks and sound, and was at least trying to find it's own voice. Arrival was pants but it would still be surprising if this movie is as grey and unimaginative as these pictures suggest.

As the saying goes: you can't judge a movie that is also a book adaptation by it's twitter production stills cover.

Quote from: Bence Fekete on April 25, 2020, 09:26:43 PM
As the saying goes: you can't judge a movie that is also a book adaptation by it's twitter production stills cover.

I don't know, this promo pic was perfectly accurate to the film, wasn't it? Harrison Ford was 'costumed' in jeans and a T-shirt.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Bence Fekete on April 25, 2020, 09:26:43 PM
For all it's faults Blade Runner 2049 had some decent design choices, both in looks and sound
Bleh. It's one of the blandest looking films I've ever seen.