Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:58:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dune (2020)

Started by Dex Sawash, April 17, 2020, 03:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

As each scene comes up I couldn't help myself thinking about how little was changed between this and either the Lynch or the TV series versions. I was puzzled why such emphasis was made on the fact that Paul's grandad was big into bullfighting (perhaps because it was not mentioned in either of the previous versions?) Also was a bit puzzled why Baron Harkonnen was portrayed as a parody of Brando in Apocalypse Now. Some good (and apt) performances throughout, though, despite the pointlessness (finally a decent Gurney).

Meh/10

Did recently watch the fanedit of Lynch's Dune (thanks to recommendations here) and found it a surprisingly improved experience.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 21, 2021, 02:11:57 PM
Kwizats Hadaglitch

Chaa!

Never been more excited about something I was so unexcited about.

Shit Good Nose

Well I thought it was brilliant, as did Mrs Nose.  So there.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Well, yeah, but you think Alien Cubed is brilliant.

Shit Good Nose

Yes.  The only sequel to Alien.

Pinball

I've watched the new movie. It is good, but not very good, and is satisfyingly long in duration, but is a bit too cold and just doesn't have the artistic flair, star power and occasional fun of Lynch's original. Patrick Stewart quoting classic literature worked well, as he's a proper classically trained actor, and IT'S FUCKING PATRICK STEWART, but Josh Brolin? Really? I couldn't even hear what he was saying due to his poor elocution. Then there was Sting, Max von Sydow, Jurgen Prochnow, the sublime Kyle MacLachlan, and the over the top revolting acting and SFX of Baron Harkonnen. It was shiny Flash Gordon gold vs the sombre sandstone of the new version.

In fairness, new Dune might just be a match for the dreadful cinematic cut of old Dune, that sadly many believe is old Dune, but IMO the much longer, better fan edit of old Dune is by far the best Dune yet available. Better than the recent UHD of old Dune too, which remains short in duration sadly. What no (proper) director's cut?

Finally, new Dune didn't have an ending, so we have to wait for the sequel that may never come. And where was Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV and the third stage navigator 'whale'?

Just my 0.02c.

NoSleep

Quote from: Pinball on October 21, 2021, 04:51:09 PM
Patrick Stewart quoting classic literature worked well, as he's a proper classically trained actor, and IT'S FUCKING PATRICK STEWART, but Josh Brolin? Really? I couldn't even hear what he was saying due to his poor elocution.

Patrick Stewart was nonetheless a bad choice for Gurney Halleck, whereas Josh Brolin is a closer fit, as the character needs some rough edges and a bit of gung ho. But even Patrick Stewart was a better choice than the guy who played the part in the TV series (P.H. Moriarty), in which he displayed possibly the worst acting of anyone I have ever seen.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Pinball on October 21, 2021, 04:51:09 PM
It was shiny Flash Gordon gold vs the sombre sandstone of the new version.

There are those of us who are sick to fucking death of the bright, witty, sarcastic, skyfighting shared universes of Marvel, Star Wars and DC that have leeched into pretty much every sci-fi and fantasy film, and have been craving sombre sandstone for years.  The Dune books aren't Flash Gordon, and neither should the film(s) be (in my opinion).

Chairman Yang

It's a very literal film.

I found myself confused at parts as to whether the film had set something up or whether I was filling in the blanks with my very approximate knowledge of the books. It seemed to take ages to get going then didn't really tell us anything about Dune when we got there.

I know you can't fit in all the politics and weirdo sex magic stuff but come on, it's like... in trying to make the book more filmable they've sanded off all the reason to make a Dune film at all.

SweetPomPom

If he cut out all the moping and dreaming over Chani then he could have given that massive supporting cast something to do. It has it's moments but keeps dropping the pace at really weird times. Duncan and Kynes were by far the best things in it.
Spoiler alert
A couple of times Paul's visions looked like they scenes were taken from Dune Messiah, with the Fremen off Arrakis.
[close]

Dex Sawash

Thought this was done more  better than the old ones. Familiar story, partially told.
Glad to see the fishbowl navigators got cut. Liked the ornithopters just fine. Did Sting's character die on bis way back to his home planet before the film started?
Can't imagine this film will resonate with audiences. Part 2 will not happen.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Dex Sawash on October 22, 2021, 03:15:43 AM
Part 2 will not happen.

WB execs strongly hinted yesterday that the sequel has the go ahead, and pre-production on it (re)started a few weeks/months ago.  Still every chance it will get shitcanned of course, but at the moment it's happening.

EDIT - phantom beat me to it.

beanheadmcginty

One thing I didn't understand in this: that little flying robot wasp that drills its way into Chalamet's room. Presumably it was trying to assassinate him, so why did it stop when it got next to his eye? And why didn't he duck?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 22, 2021, 11:00:58 AM
One thing I didn't understand in this: that little flying robot wasp that drills its way into Chalamet's room. Presumably it was trying to assassinate him, so why did it stop when it got next to his eye? And why didn't he duck?

The video hologram thing was confusing it.  Paul was "hiding" in the projected image.  If memory serves the book goes into quite a lot of detail.

NoSleep

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 22, 2021, 11:00:58 AM

It is dependent on detecting motion.

Jerzy Bondov

Thought this was good, I liked all the big spaceships, especially the enormous tube they come out of. Everything was extremely loud. I really recently rewatched the Lynch one so it was hard to get that out of my head, and I couldn't help but miss the big eyebrows and the bollock faced Guild Navigator. They held back on a few things like the Navigators and the Emperor, so I'm glad to hear it looks like we'll get Part 2. Because the Lynch film really rushes through that part of the story it'll all feel less familiar. I do think this could have been a bit shorter. Thought the Gom Jabbar scene was overall better in the Lynch one, but Rebecca Ferguson's Jessica was really good. What else... I dunno. It was good.

Alberon

Lynch's film was my first exposure to Dune and I only read the book a few years later. So I couldn't help quoting bits of Lynch's Dune during the relevant bits of this one. Like when Jessica sees Paul after the Reverend Mother's visit I couldn't help thinking "My son, lives!" in my head.

The Harkonnens always came off a bit cartoony evil early in the book and especially in the 1984 film, but Colonel Kurtz The Baron works quite well here.

It looks really good and they even make the ornithopters look believable which takes an effort. Not sure I liked the Guild Heighliners just being big stone portals in orbit though. I really hope a Part 2 happens though.

Dex Sawash

<uses the voice> Part 2 will not happen

elliszeroed

If you want to know more about Dune, I recommend Quinns Ideas on Youtube. Fantastically thorough, and not annoying.

Example- What is Choam? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSc8hpQMtmg

Mister Six

Quote from: Alberon on October 22, 2021, 04:27:41 PM
The Harkonnens always came off a bit cartoony evil early in the book and especially in the 1984 film, but Colonel Kurtz The Baron works quite well here.

I really like their cartooniness, though. They're the only fun characters in the damn book and make good foils for the starched and awkward Atreideseseses. I haven't started on the fourth book yet, but the third really suffered from the lack of a compelling antagonist.

Fishfinger

Enjoyed it and as a fan of the early books I'm glad it was made, but it really is all setup, and if it turns out there is never a part two (or three, or four), it'll be the most curious kind of unfinished, beautifully-crafted artifact. The most interesting stuff from the books happens next. Will there be an audience for it.

Cost me £17.50 and parking. It cost the Atreides... everything. Almost... everything. Not everything. Anyway.

Fishfinger

On an effects level, I loved the ornithopters and the horrible threat and lethality of the occasional lasguns. The visual language of the personal shields was really efficient and effective. But yeah, Arrakis should be terrifying in its own right and the water discipline requirement holds (hehe) no water.

Shit Good Nose

Going slightly off-topic, has anyone read the Brian Herbert/Kevin J Anderson books?  Any cop?

Alberon

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 22, 2021, 07:49:43 PM
Going slightly off-topic, has anyone read the Brian Herbert/Kevin J Anderson books?  Any cop?

They're fantastic.

As firelighters, that is. I really would strongly advise against reading them.

Mister Six

Quote from: Fishfinger on October 22, 2021, 07:13:30 PM
Enjoyed it and as a fan of the early books I'm glad it was made, but it really is all setup, and if it turns out there is never a part two (or three, or four), it'll be the most curious kind of unfinished, beautifully-crafted artifact. The most interesting stuff from the books happens next. Will there be an audience for it.

It's made $130 million of its $165 million budget already. There's still a long way to go, of course, but it's a strong start, and Warners are counting HBO Max viewings too. I reckon we'll get a Dune 2, but unless there's major word of mouth leading to huge box office takings, I'll be surprised if we make it to Messiah. People keep pointing to LoTR, but that has a playfulness and warmth even in the later, darker films that will be tough to crowbar into the Dunes.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Alberon on October 22, 2021, 07:51:33 PM
They're fantastic.

As firelighters, that is. I really would strongly advise against reading them.

Noted. 

beanheadmcginty

If they do end up making Dune 2, do you think they'll then follow it up with a film of Command & Conquer?

Fishfinger

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 22, 2021, 08:17:23 PM
Noted.

In case it's needed I wanted to just add a +1. They are and create dog eggs in a dog egg restaurant that happens to have Frank Herbert's name over the door.