Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:50:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What We Do In The Shadows - series 2

Started by Mobius, April 17, 2020, 10:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

This just came back, if anyone cares.

Episodes 1 and 2 are out.

I didn't mind series 1 but I dunno it's not as funny as I'd expect.

Small Man Big Horse

I thought the quality of the first season was all over the place, some were great but some were awful (I remember the Nick Kroll nightclub episode being a particular struggle) but the first two episodes of season 2 seem a lot stronger, and Benedict Wong was fantastic in the first.

I found the same applied with Wellington Paranormal as it goes, the first season being disappointing / occasionally annoying, but the second was much more fun, so I hope they're recognised the problems the show had and have done their best to improve it.

Ray Travez

S1 was certainly patchy, but enjoyable. My favourite was the love story between the energy vampire and the emotional vampire. Will definitely watch this.

It's a beautiful looking series. Really like the feel of the sets and costumes.

KennyMonster

Alberon

Probably on FX and then BBC 2 eventually. At the moment though - splice the mainbrace and batten the hatches!

Puce Moment

I found the first two episodes extremely solid and elicited many laughs.

I think the casting is especially good in this.

QDRPHNC

Loved the film, first series was a big disappointment, except for Mark Proksch who can pretty much make me laugh by standing there doing nothing.

Puce Moment

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 19, 2020, 05:56:08 PMLoved the film, first series was a big disappointment, except for Mark Proksch who can pretty much make me laugh by standing there doing nothing.

I don't think it's a popular opinion, but he is my favourite character in this, and I particularly like the way they are going in season 2.

Small Man Big Horse

I think Proksch's Colin Robertson is definitely becoming a fan favourite, the Colin-centric episode last week was a superb one and has garnered a lot of positive reviews online. Also on the Proksch front, I've just posted a review of a pilot he did with Justin Woliner (who's directed this, as well as Nathan For You and Eagleheart) that I really loved, and which can be seen here: https://vimeo.com/60716535 - it really is excellent stuff, a fake morning tv show with the twist being that only Proksch plays a fictional character with everyone else real and completely unaware that it's a comedy.

I really enjoyed last night's episode of Shadows too, it gave Matt Berry the chance to shine and Mark Hamill was great in his role as well, he could have overplayed it (and perhaps occasionally came a little close) but most of the time was really effective.

Puce Moment

Thanks Horsey! I assumed this was going to link to come of his yo-yo material, but this is something else entirely! Love it.

And yes, they have realised that Proksch's character is a real favourite. I that Tash's character is also a fave, partially because her series 1 accent has devolved into just doing her old Greek Dad's voice which I find very funny.

We have taken to calling this The Dinosaur Show.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Puce Moment on May 14, 2020, 03:28:04 PM
Thanks Horsey! I assumed this was going to link to come of his yo-yo material, but this is something else entirely! Love it.

I'm glad you liked Good Morning Tri-State too, I messaged Kelsa Kinsly on twitter to see if she'd been in on it but apparently not, with her saying "I had no idea it was a joke, I just thought it was the weirdest day ever! I thought everyone working on set was nuts!! I only found out it was a joke a few months ago when someone else notified me they were doing a piece on it and informed me it was a punked situation...When we were done I went to the 'production manager' and asked him whether he's noticed anything strange? He's like 'no nothing'. It was the strangest day I've ever spent on set... Wouldn't let me go to the bathroom or fix my hair. All makes sense now tho! They got me good" but appears to be all rather amused by it in general, and I think she got in a few good lines of her own despite not knowing it was to be a sitcom.

Norton Canes

Watched the first couple of episodes last night, very much more of the same, which is fine by me cause I liked the first series and it's one of the few programmes where my comedy tastes overlap with those of Mrs Canes so we get to watch it together. Nice that huh? Second episode definitely the stronger of the two (despite a very surprise guest appearance in ep.1), some great scenes with Nadja and it's got a few extra jokes for Farsi speakers.

BritishHobo

I'm very happy the whole series has gone up on iPlayer. I really was only expecting the first two episodes. Hadn't quite realised how much I'd missed it. Guillermo is so lovely.

Small Man Big Horse

I finished it yesterday as I've been watching it at the US pace and can only echo my post above, I just thought it was a really big improvement on the patchy first season and I enjoyed it a great deal, I'm really looking forward to it returning for a third season now.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 12, 2020, 07:57:38 PM
Guillermo is so lovely.

yea hes a great character, and im loving what theyre doing with him, giving him some agency and an arc.

i

Ant Farm Keyboard

Guillermo is crucial to making the show work. With just a bunch of stupid and self-centered vampires, it would get repetitive. Having a voice of reason and sanity, who can also kick ass when needed rather than just being the butt of jokes is a great development.

PlanktonSideburns

Pseudopath

Rinsed through this in one sitting last night. Incredible season, but Episode 6 was a particular highlight.

ASFTSN

Watched all of this now and while it's good comfort watching I feel like the sets, costume, casting and atmosphere are all a lot better than the actual writing. I think it's strongest too when it's vampires interacting with humans and other vampires rather than trolls/witches/werewolves etc

PlanktonSideburns

Also the episode where matt berry goes off to do matt  berry things was rubs

ASFTSN

Yeah the volleyball team one? Almost veering into Mighty Boosh territory

Mobius

Yeah couldn't believe the praise for that Jackie Daytona one. Shite.

PlanktonSideburns