Author Topic: SF and Fantasy wot I ave been reeding  (Read 3009 times)

Zetetic

• Worrying the carcass of an old song.
Re: SF and Fantasy wot I ave been reeding
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2020, 08:02:05 PM »
This is a series of novellas (and one novel) about a security ‘constuct’ (a robot with organic components). It hacked its governor and is essentially rogue, but continues taking orders to hide in plain sight. It doesn’t want to have much to do with humans which it feels uncomfortable with, much preferring to watch pilfered escapist dramas on its own.

There’s also the small problem of the central character coming across as too human, though I suppose that’s difficult to avoid.

Perhaps I skipped over some stuff too quickly, but I always got the impression that murderbots were fundamentally (artificially bred) humans with a ton of stuff jammed into them.

Read N. K. Jemisin's Broken Earth series, and enjoyed it quite a lot.

I didn't get on with its personal identity stuff as much as I would have liked, perhaps.

earl_sleek

• I ask him to remove all your posts, dick head
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2020, 09:31:09 PM »
I just finished Banks' The Algebraist. I enjoyed it but it would have been improved by being half as long. There are some interesting ideas behind the setting and the plot is ok, but none of the characters are terribly compelling (and there is a whole alien civilisation who are all actively annoying), and there are some boring stretches where nothing happens. It feels like either it should've been cut down into a snappier novel, or it should've been a trilogy or series telling several stories. It's not actually bad though, and I liked it - it's just a bit underwhelming and disappointing from someone as talented as Banks.

MojoJojo

• Between a cow college and a MetaLab.
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2020, 02:46:56 PM »
The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells

This is a series of novellas (and one novel) about a security ‘constuct’ (a robot with organic components). It hacked its governor and is essentially rogue, but continues taking orders to hide in plain sight. It doesn’t want to have much to do with humans which it feels uncomfortable with, much preferring to watch pilfered escapist dramas on its own.

Inevitably, it’s drawn into protecting different groups of humans as it eventually goes properly rogue and runs. I’m into the third novella now and it’s getting a little samey now. There’s also the small problem of the central character coming across as too human, though I suppose that’s difficult to avoid. Up next is the first proper novel so I’ll see how it goes. As a light entertaining quick read it’s good enough.

One big issue that has caused some comment is the price. Each novella (except the first, usually) is priced as a novel and that has understandably generated complaints.

I've been meaning to comment of this since I read the first two at the end of last year, but I've been struggling because I can barely remember anything about it. I definitely remember the price being a sticking point because it is very light fluff. There's lots of similarly quick, enjoyable fluff available on kindle unlimited.

Baffled to see it got a Hugo and other awards. Did it have any particularly new or novel ideas in it? I might have to read it again to see if I missed something.

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2020, 05:50:39 PM »
I've read the first three and no, there's nothing new in it. It does what it does fairly well, but it certainly isn't worth the over £9 that its listed on Amazon for each novella.

There does seem to be a spate of first novels getting rave reviews which they don't seem to really deserve. The awards all seem to be far more interested in new writers rather existing authors. That's not bad in itself, but the balance is completely wrong at the moment.

MojoJojo

• Between a cow college and a MetaLab.
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2020, 10:37:41 AM »
There does seem to be a spate of first novels getting rave reviews which they don't seem to really deserve. The awards all seem to be far more interested in new writers rather existing authors. That's not bad in itself, but the balance is completely wrong at the moment.

Hmmm, the exposure an award brings going to new authors is probably exactly what publishers want.

In the context of me implying that book awards are corrupt, I think it's important for me to point out that Martha Wells has been published for over 20 years.

Tags: